Tuffy’s Dog Food
Tuffy’s Pet Food is privately owned by KLN Industries in Perham, MN. Brands include Tuffy’s Pet Food, Supreme Pet Foods, Natural Planet, Organics, Pure Vita and Nutrisource.
Tuffy’s Formula Dog Food Review
The major ingredients of Tuffy’s dog food formulas include a plethora of well known controversial dog food ingredients that include whole grain ground corn, soybean meal, poultry by-product meal, and wheat middlings.
Whole grain ground corn is a good source of carbohydrates however its presence in pet food particularly as a first ingredient is often controversial. Corn incorporated in any form in the feed has been linked to incidence of canine food-related allergies and hypersensitivity reactions in dogs. Another controversial point that has been taken into consideration with corn is the use of livestock feed grade corn, similar to the ones being used in cattle and hog rations.
The protein component of Tuffy’s dog food products is comprised of soybean meal, poultry by-product meal, chicken meal, and fish meal.
Chicken meal is made from fresh chicken meat. It is a good source of animal-based protein but since it’s fresh meat, a big part of it is still water. Fresh meat contains almost 80% water which can be lost during processing leaving only a fraction of the original ingredient.
Poultry by-product meal is made from parts of poultry which have been declared unfit for human consumption. These include the beaks, feet, and even entrails. However, the bright side of incorporating poultry by-product meal is that it is considered as a meat concentrate and it contains around 300% more protein compared to fresh meat sources.
Fish meal is another good source of animal-based protein. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are essential factors in different physiological processes of the body. However, when fish meal is incorporated as an ingredient, the source should be mentioned.
Soybean meal is a by-product when oil is extracted from soybeans. It contains about 48% protein and is a source of plant-based protein. The amount of protein provided by Soybean Meal can significantly add to the total protein present in the feeds.
Wheat middlings are also called “wheat mill run”. These are by-products of cereal grain processing and are usually collected as floor sweepings or milling dust. When incorporated in the feed, it provides an inexpensive source of fiber to the diet.
Poultry fat is a generic term applied to fat which is obtained from rendering. Poultry fat is a good source of linoleic acid, a type of essential omega-6 fatty acids however it is more favorable if the source species is specified such as chicken fat. To make matters worse, poultry fat is preserved with BHA which is a alleged cancer-causing agent.
The incorporation of Brewer’s dried yeast is controversial because there have been cases of hypersensitivity reactions linked to the ingredient. Yeast has also been thought to cause bloat, a life-threatening condition. Brewer’s dried yeast is a by-product when making beer. It contains around 45% protein and a variety of other essential nutrients.
The manufacturer of Tuffy dog food formulas claims to incorporate probiotics which are beneficial bacteria that enhance the function of the digestive and immune systems.
There is no indication that the minerals which have been incorporated are not chelated which can be a factor that can affect the dog food quality.
Menadione is a form of vitamin which has been associated with incidence of hypersensitivity reactions, liver toxicity, and destruction of red blood cells in dogs.
Dog owners have misgivings about giving their food to their dogs which contains genetically modified ingredients including corn and soybeans. These genetically tinkered ingredients have been linked to an increase in the occurrence of digestive upsets in dogs that can have serious consequences if not addressed.
Overall, we do not believe the Tuffy’s dog food formula’s are of good quality and would not recommend it. However, we do recommend Tuffy’s other brands including Pure Vita and Nutrisource which we believe are very good formulas.
Company Information From Tuffy’s Official Website:
- Over 45 years of experience in manufacturing dry and moist dog and cat food and treats.
- A manufacturing plant in Perham, Minnesota, producing ONLY pet food. It is the only manufacturing facility that produces Tuffy’s branded products.
- State of the art equipment to develop and produce carefully formulated products, providing sound nutrition, backed by extensive research and quality testing.
- Animal feeding tests using the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) protocols substantiate that Tuffy’s pet foods provide complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.
Tuffy’s Dog Food Formulas
Tuffy’s Gold include:
- Adult formula for Active, Athletic dogs
- Adult dog maintenance formula
- Gold Premium Puppy
- Gold Premium Lamb meal and Rice
- Gold Premium Performance
- Supreme High Protein Dog Food
- Supreme Mini Chunks Dog Food
- Supreme Value Pack Dog Food
- Supreme Dog Burgers
- Meaty Meal Brand Dog Food
- Golden Chunks Dog Food – Chicken Flavor
- Classic Hi-Pro Dog Food provides superior
Tuffy’s professional Feed/farm
- Classic Hi-Pro Dog Food
- Golden Chunks
- Professional 26/18 Dog Food
- Pure Vita Chicken and Brown Rice Dog Food
- Pure Vita Duck and Oatmeal Dog Food
- Pure Vita Salmon and Potato Dog Food
- Nutrisource Super Performance Dog Food
- Large Breed Adult
- Nutrisource Small and Medium Puppy Dog Food
- Large Breed Puppy
- Weight Management
- Lamb Meal and Rice
- Large Breed Lamb Meal and Rice
- Nutrisource Grain Free Large Breed Lamb Meal Formula Dog Food
- Nutrisource Grain Free Chicken Formula Dog Food
- Nutrisource Grain Free Lamb Meal Formula Dog Food