Salmon Dog Treat Recipe

November 18, 2009
Filed under Dog Food Tips, Homemade Dog Treat Recipes

How to make salmon dog treats – Learn how to make your own healthy homemade salmon dog treats that your dog will love!

SALMON DOG TREATS (GRAIN-FREE)

1.    Gather all of the ingredients that you will need for making your dog treats. In this recipe, you will need one can of salmon (organic), ½ cup of grated parsley, 3 cups of potato flour and three eggs (including shells). Optional ingredients include ½ cup of ground flax seeds, sesame seeds, or other nutritious ingredients you wish to add to the formula. It’s best if you only use organic ingredients in your dog treats, since this will allow you to make a treat that is free from pesticides, preservatives and artificial growth hormones.

2.    In the next step, you will need to thoroughly blend all of the ingredients. Add the Salmon, parsley and eggs to a food processor, mixing them on a low setting. Once these ingredients are mixed, you can turn the speed of the processor up slightly to a middle setting. Add the flour (and flax, sesame or other ingredients) gradually, through the top of the food processor while it is still mixing the ingredients.

3.    Once the mixture has reached the consistency of cookie dough, take it out of the food processor. Knead the dough on a floured cutting board, making sure that the consistency of the dough is even. Flatten the dough with a rolling pin so that it is from ¼ to ¾ of an inch thick, depending on how big you want your treats to be. Once your dough is flat, you can either cut it with a cookie cutter, or simply slice it into small squares with a knife. Try to ensure that all of the pieces are the same size, so that they will all have approximately the same cooking time.

4.    Lightly grease a cookie sheet with a non-stick cooking spray, or simply line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place your dough pieces about an inch apart on the cookie sheet, using even spacing.

5.    Cook the dough mixture in the oven at approximately 375 degrees for about twenty minutes. If you want harder cookies, you can rotate your cookie sheet after 20 minutes and bake for another

Comments

6 Responses to “Salmon Dog Treat Recipe”
  1. Darwin Hasselhof says:

There are TONS of do-it-yourself recipes available online. You can search for “vegetarian”, “grain free”, etc depending upon your dogs dietary needs. Make sure to avoid ingredients that can be harmful to dogs including garlic, raisins, etc.

Vegetarian???, geez this lady doesn’t even realize dogs are carnivores. When are people gonna realize dogs need a lot of meat??? THEY ARE HOT HUMANS..

In my area we have A Costco business center. They carry cheap meat (ROASTS). Our local Asian restaurants get their meat here. I mean 1.69-1.79 a pound, this was a great find. So I take some time with my electric knife and cut it into stew meat size bites and store it in small snack bags in the freezer. I got 20 bags (2-3 days worth in a bag) and 3 meals for me for 17 bucks. I just found this place prices are great.

How good are tennis balls??? They must have some good taste to them. I usually get and throw out Tony’s tennis balls when they get where I can see the break in them. He has 5 or 6 kicking around the house at all times. I buy them by the case from good ole Costco. Well I was to late and he ate about a 1/4th of one. I sure hope it pass’s OK.

I think Tony is a vampire… WOW, HE JUST GOES CRAZY FOR THE LITTLE BIT OF BLOOD left over from the meat.

5. Jason says:

You should feed you Dog raw meat and orgins as much as posible…

6. David C says:

All you “RAW ONLY” people need to keep your negative comments to yourselves. If you got out of your narrow minded mentality and read the article itself you would see that the purpose of this recipe is to encourage people to give their dogs REAL SALMON which has essentially beneficial nutrients for dogs. It is also fun and helps people treat their dogs like family members by “cooking” for them. It also encourages the non-raw people to take a small step towards anything other than the horrible bags and cans of food and treats that they could get in the store. This author did a lot more to help inform other dog owners of providing more nutritious care for their pets than you have with your condemning comments. Disclaimer…I am a raw feeder and advocate. I just know how to appreciate the efforts of others.