Instinct dog food

October 26, 2008
Filed under Dog Food Reviews, Instinct

Instinct Dog Food

Instinct dog food is made and manufactured by the Lincoln Nebraska company Natures Variety whom also produce the “Prairie” line of foods..  Instinct dog food comes in either a canned or dry version. Instinct dog food is a premium grain free dog food that contains high quality ingredients.  As of the date of this review, we recommend this food.

Instinct Dog Food Products:

1. Instinct Chicken Meal Dog Food
  2. Instinct Rabbit Formula Dog Food
  3. Instinct Duck Meal & Turkey Meal Dog Food
  4. Instinct Salmon Meal Dog Food

Instinct Dog Food Review

Instinct dog food formulas are grain-free, and contain quality ingredients. There are currently three different dog food formulas offered under the Instinct brand name, which are each designed for all life stages. Instinct brand dog food formulas contain tapioca, which is a gluten-free starch. Instinct brand dog food formulas are available in three bag sizes: a small 4.4 lb bag, a 13.2 lb bag and a large 25.3 lb bag.

Instinct Dog Food Consumer Ratings

[starrating template_id=47 category=87]

Comments

26 Responses to “Instinct dog food”
    1. Missy says:

I began feeding Instinct Grain Free food to 2 dogs (Pomeranians)that had lost nearly all their fur. Within weeks they began to re-coat! It must have been an allergy to grain that was the cause of the hair loss…it is common in these dogs…the results were just amazing! No kidding! My other dogs eat Wellness, and do very well on it, but for some reason, these 2 (brother and sister by the same father) could not deal with the grain content,although there was no corn it it either. Please tell anyone you know that has a dog with hair loss issues.

2. Pittbull77 says:

This is the very best dry food available. There is just nothing more to say. I firmly believe that ritation feeding is the key to proper health; a balanced mixture of all available nutrition sources. This is truly a one food for all dogs. The ingredients are superior, the company is top notch, and the foods are amazing! This food is very rich, meaning that all of the nutrients are very readily available for your dog to digest. As a result, the average dog will need much less in volume to get the same nutrition as it would of a lesser brand. I am talking about 1/2 to 1/3 the amount. A 75lb Pitbull is at perfect weight eating 2 cups a day of Instinct. He exercies 2 1/2 -4 hours on leash a day (yes, I do have the exercise logs to verify that….lol) Like many other quality foods, loose stool when changing over means two things; 1) you are moving the change too fast for the dog, 2) you are feeding the dog too much volume. Remember, dogs are designed to eat 1-2 times a week iun the wild. No wild dog eats every single day, they just weren’t meant for that purpose. The point is that it is better to be 10-20% under the needed amount than 5-10% over the needed amount of food. Listen to your dog! Try this food!

3. My crew LOVE this product!! I began feeding to my 15 yr old cat and yr old kitten. the kitten is foolish for the rabbit formula and my ole gal loves it too!! she can be way picky!! At her age want to da ALL I can to keep her happy. Too feed the duck formula to my Husky and Silver Fawn Pug as well. The pug has had skin issyes since a puppy, HE NO LONGER HAS#@!@ and our Husky, she just easts so well too. This is definately a formula am keeping in our home. What do you have for cockatiels?? LOL I raise them too. Really have tried a LOT of expensive pet foods and for the money, this is is the I have found. TY to the Rep in the pet store who introduced me to this. I almost went with the fishy euckanuba (sp) not sure of spelling there. But this is definately something the all enjoy and am sure the yougart is good for the alergies my Pug seems to have. Good pet health is everything to me. between my horse being 34 and having just lost my big guy Angora at 21 they all spend long full lives in my house.

Hey whats this, Michelle ??? Montmorillonite Clay….Hummmm!

Montmorillonite is a clay that is primarily colloidal silicate, which contains over 50 ultra-trace mineral compounds including Antimony, Barium, Beryllium, Boron, Bromine, Cadmium, Carbon, Cerium, Cesium, Chloride, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Dysprosium, Fluoride, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Iodine, Lanthanum, Lithium, Manganese, Neodymium, Nickel, Phosphorus, Rhenium, Rubidium, Samarium, Scandium, Silicon, Silver, Strontium, Sulfur, Tellurium, Thallium, Thorium, Tin, Titanium, Vanadium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, Zinc, and Zirconium. Feed studies by the Veterinary Medical Diagnostics Laboratory at Texas A&M University have shown that Montmorillonite clays can sequester (bind) aflatoxins contained in grains and oilseeds.

5. Wendy says:

I read on the Nature’s Variety website under blogs when asked if any sources from China, they said they get the rabbit from China but they have a PhD person that visits that plant. I’m not sure about using this food. I am trying to find something instead of Natura’s Evo or Innova, since Procter and Gamble are buying it within the month. UGH! That will send the food down the drain!

6. Sarit says:

This is the absolute best food for a dog with allergies. It’s a bit pricey, but it kept my yorkie itch free!

They just came out with a grain free salmon..

8. Michelle says:

Hi Jess-I saw your earlier post about Montmorillonite Clay,so I decided to check it out.If you go on Nature’s Variety Instinct website and click on visit the ingredient glossary and then click on Montmorillonite Clay-it will give you the list of everything that is in this clay.Or you can just look at your post above it is there also.Anyway 2 things stuck out to me when I read through the list they are Cadmium and Thallium.I had heard of them both.Mcdonald’s just recalled Shrek glasses because they contained Cadmium.And some crazy guy poisoned his neighbor with Thallium.Here are some links check them out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cadmium and here is one for Thallium http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts54.html I didn’t look up any of the other things.

9. Michelle says:

Hey Jess-check out my post above,I re-posted because my comment got pushed back.It is about Montmorillonite Clay.

I am still not sure about it. I am haveing a tough time with the pro’s and con’s with it. The study at Texas A M sounds like it really brings alot to the table. And you know it can’t be cheap.

Opps hit the post to soon. Those are only 2 ingredients in the clay, so there can’t be much. You know a glass of wine a day is great for ya but 20 can kill ya. I like this food and my dog loves the duck and I am really taking a hard look at the new salmon, looks good enough to put in my rotation. I have to find a replacement for the California Natural Herring and I want a fish in his diet. I know Orijen has one but I’d like to have another brand because he already gets alot of Orijen in his diet. WISHY WASHY, I know…

12. Michelle says:

Jess actually their are like 50 different things in that clay.Also I read somewhere that the clay expands a lot when it is exposed to water.I just think it’s a weird ingredient,I don’t know of any other food that uses it.Also did you look at the links I left?Cadmium and Thallium are both toxic,I wouldn’t want any level of them in my dogs food.I guess I’m just weird that way…..

Yes, I didn’t make myself very clear and thats why I posted that their couldn’t be much in the food. I have also sent an E-mail to them requesting information on these 2 ingredients within the clay…

14. Michelle says:

Hey Jess-you said before that you were looking for a replacement for Cali Natural,I just picked up a 2nd bag of Fromm Gold Nutritionals.They REALLY loved the first one. 4 of the first 7 ingredients are meats 2 fresh and 2 meals.Also it includes FRESH DUCK I know about Tony and his DUCK!!!lol Anyway I picked up a 15 pound bag for $23.86 with tax.btw it is the adult gold black bag.

I most likely well go with Fromm, but I can’t get my beloved pet store to carry it. I was in there yesterday and bought my last bag of CN. They have already heard bad things about their products. That was why faster than I thought it would take…