Where do freeze dried and dehydrated food Fit In Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

Default Where do freeze dried and dehydrated food Fit In

Just wondering where these types of dog foods have a place on this forum. Seems like more of them are entering the market, either from online providers, or at local dog food stores. There claim is that they are have more nutrients than kibble; but less messy than raw products.
    Personally, I am having a hard time believing that a highly rated kibble like Orijen or EVO as examples(High Protein, Moderate Fat, Low Carbs) are not as nutritious as these new types of foods that are 22-28% protein, 18% fat and high carbs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

In my mind, the value of any food is now natural is it and how much actual meat, bones and organs does it contain. Since I never use freeze dried or dehydrated, I'm not sure about what ingredients are in them. As with anything you feed a dog, the more meat, bones, and organs the better. The less processed the better. The less cooked the better.

If I were going backpacking w/ my dogs, I would probably used dehydrated but wouldn't use it on a regular basis.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Thanks
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,676 Posts

I agree with RFD. I'd only use it for backpacking. It's also very pricey compared to the raw whole form of the exact same foods. Not worth the price in my opinion....

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thread Information