Why do I time out so often Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Why do I time out so often

I can log-in and sometimes be away from the computer for hours without having to log back in. Other times I have to log back in after being away for a few minutes.

Today I composed two private messages and by the time I finished and hit "send message" it said I wasn't logged in. So I log in and the message I just typed is no longer there. Am I doing something wrong? Please help. Thanks, Brenda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

When you log in, check the little box that says something like "remember me" or "keep me logged in" or something like that. I can't remember for sure now. I never get unlogged. I just click "dog food chat" on my favorites list and I don't have to log in. I guess i'm always here. You must have your computer set to accept cookies but most people do anyway.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RawFedDogs For This Useful Post:

dogmom (09-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RawFedDogs View Post
    When you log in, check the little box that says something like "remember me" or "keep me logged in" or something like that. I can't remember for sure now. I never get unlogged. I just click "dog food chat" on my favorites list and I don't have to log in. I guess i'm always here. You must have your computer set to accept cookies but most people do anyway.
    Apparently, my computer is set to clear cookies when I log off. My son is an IT Manager so I checked with him to see what I needed to do to change it. He said he could change it but since I have bank and business information on my computer it probably wouldn't be the safest thing for me to do.

So my question now is if I select the remember me box when I log-in, will it leave me logged-in until I physically log-off, even if it's all day?

Thanks, Brenda

Thanks

It *should*, but I can't say for sure. Like RFD, I stay logged in all the time so I just turn on my computer, click on Dog Food chat.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Apparently, my computer is set to clear cookies when

So my question now is if I select the remember me box when I log-in, will it leave me logged-in until I physically log-off, even if it's all day?

Thanks, Brenda
    Joe
    Kalispell, MT
    3 1/2 yo Standard Poodle, Seamus
    7 mo old Standard Poodle, Teaghan
    http://dogshots.biz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StdPoo Dad View Post
    It *should*, but I can't say for sure. Like RFD, I stay logged in all the time so I just turn on my computer, click on Dog Food chat.
    My problem is I log-in, go away for awhile and when I come back it says I'm logged-in, I haven't logged-out, but when I try to switch threads or something, it says I'm not logged-in. I haven't questioned it until today - I just figured I was idle for awhile and it timed out. But today I lost two messages I was trying to send when I appeared to be logged-in. I managed to recreate the message once, only to lose it again and it's not taking me an hour or anything - only about 10 minutes. The little gray cells aren't what they used to be and I'm definitely getting too old to remember it twice. Is there a time-limit on being inactive within the threads?

The member I was trying to send the message to says it's happened to her a couple of times as well.

Sorry if I'm slow to understand this. I used to work in an office and was pretty good with the computers. A lot changes in 4 years. This actually is the only forum I've joined. I sure would like to get it right.

Thanks again,

Brenda

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

What are your privacy settings for your browser set on? And what browser are you using?

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danemama08 View Post
    What are your privacy settings for your browser set on? And what browser are you using?
    I use Internet Exployer. The privacy settings are set at Medium as follows:
    - Blocks third party cookies that do not have a compact privacy policy.
    - Blocks third party cookies that save information that can be used to contact you without your explicit consent.
    - Restricts first-party cookies that save information that can be used to contact you without your implicit consent.

Pop-Up Blocker: Turned-on

In-Private: Disable toolbars and extensions when InPrivate Browsing Starts

I also have Mozilla Firefox but am not as comfortable with it as I've used Exployer for years so it's my go-to.

I just went into the site page and told it to allow cookies for dogfoodchat.com only. Maybe this will help and not make my IT guy upset. I'll let you know.
    Last edited by dogmom; 09-12-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: New information

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

Umm...it should be working fine then.

Do you use any kind of firewall or other privacy software running in the background?

Something is terminating your sessions early.

Have you given any thought to trying google Chrome as a browser? I was an IE girl, but now am a diehard Chrome fan!!!

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danemama08 View Post
    Umm...it should be working fine then.

Do you use any kind of firewall or other privacy software running in the background?

Something is terminating your sessions early.

Have you given any thought to trying google Chrome as a browser? I was an IE girl, but now am a diehard Chrome fan!!!
    I'm almost positive there's a firewall, not sure about other privacy software. I'll find out in the morning when my son comes over. It seems I did have Chrom on my computer for awhile but don't know what happened to it, I probably just went back to Exployer and now Firefox. I might have to check out Chrome again.

Thanks,

Brenda
    Last edited by dogmom; 09-12-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

If you are using in-private browsing, that is your problem. In-private doesn't use cookies and that is what the site uses to identify you. You should be able to stay idle indefinately and it not "forget" who you are. I know I can be idle for 24 hours and just start typing when I decide to come back. You should be able to also.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Thread Information