Most of these adoption rescue places are out of their mind. Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Most of these adoption rescue places are out of their mind.

Thanks

DefaultMost of these adoption rescue places are out of their mind.

When my girlfriend "now fiance'" and I were looking to adopt a pup we tried to adopt a few dogs we found on petfinder and every time it was just ridiculous.
    Fist off I understand you have costs, and food and shots etc... all cost money but some of these places around the Detroit Metro area were asking upwards of $200-$500 to adopt a pet.
    Then came the requests to fill out an application before even discussing the dog your interested in.
    Next came the denied applications due to not having a fenced in yard.

Mind you I was inquiring about toy-small sized dogs.
    I think requiring a fence is absolutely absurd. Fences are a bonus but not everyone has that option and these dogs need homes right? Just because I don't have a fenced in yard doesn't mean I won't walk the dog or bring him to dog parks to get exercise, etc....

So I started leaving that part off or lying about it, just to get a chance.
    Then I found a dog that sounded perfect, contacted the rescue who put me through to the foster house etc,, turns out she wanted to come over and inspect my house first, mind you my address is in a nice city, no where near the ghetto.

So I agreed and set up an appointment for her to bring the dog over, which she broke 3 times at the last minute. Then while emailing I found out that the dog had Parvo as a young pup and was still recovering and something was mentioned about not leaving the house for more than 3 or 4 hours max or it would be considered cruel.

I ended up saying forget this whole thing and we went out and bought a puppy from a local woman that breeds 3 or 4 different dogs at her house, they're all pets and I saw her house and all the dogs, met our dogs parents, saw their papers etc...

I admit it wasn't the ideal situation, I'm a big believer in adopting, but nothing interested us at the shelters and the rescues were all nuts.
    Our dog's breeder seemed competent and the vet spoke highly of her but now our 18 month old Brussels Griffon has bad knees and I can't help wondering if it was from sloppy breeding or something? She made us sign a contract not to breed our dog because we didn't want to pay extra for papers, which we were fine with because we're not ever going to breed him etc..
    After we get Married next May we will want to get another dog and I'll be faced with the same dilemma again.

Last time I spoke to our Pups breeder she said she ended up selling my dog's parents, so were they really pets to her?, seems fishy but from looking at her last 18 months of ads it seems like she owns a pair of 3 breeds which she pairs off or does designer popular cross breeds.

Ugh, maybe we will do better at adoption events
    Last edited by dredges; 07-18-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks

Anyone who is breeding multiple dogs is not breeding for the right reasons. If I ever go a dog from a breeder I would like to at least see they did the proper health testing of the parents!

As for needing a yard, from what I understand about your area (we have a long time member from there)...is that dogs being left out as land ornaments is a HUGE issue. So in that case I can understand why a fence is required. Is it a little strict, sure! But these rules and restrictions are put into place to ensure the dog they have spent time and money and energy on gets the best home they can find and is not just going to be homeless again in 2 months.

So even though no, you were not going to just tie your dog outside and leave it there, there are plenty of people that would. Thats the problem with the US in general, one person does something undesirable then the rest of us get punished for it.

I know a lot of people on here do not like rescues/shelters for this reason. They have tons of restrictions and requirements. For example if you have an unaltered dog you can not adopt another, is usually their rule. I personally do not have issue with any of these requirements, even though I cannot currently adopt a dog because of them.
    Last edited by lauren43; 07-18-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks

I agree that some rescues cut off their own nose to spite their face. A puppy is always going to cost more than an older dog but when they charge $400-$500 you have to wonder how people don't do just as you did, buy from a BYB - and if their goal is to save dogs that's not accomplishing anything.

I adopted two dogs from rescues - neither was that difficult. One was via their website and the first time I met the dog or the rescue people was when I drove six hours to pick him up. The other was pretty much simple as pie - I went to the pet store where they were holding an adoption event and met everyone, met the dog - they got to know me and pretty much knew before the home visit if I didn't have 60 cats in my basement they would let me have the dog I wanted. If I were to adopt again that's what I would do - go to meet the dog. No forms to fill out, personal interaction etc. No cold website where they have to decide based on a form.
    SpooOwner likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DogFoodChat.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I know what your referring to, yes Detroit is bad news with the pitts being tied up outside, but I'm no where near that area. I live where Mitt Romney grew up, if that tells you anything about the area ;-)
    We live in a 4 bedroom brick ranch built in the 50's, not a mansion, but no one around here ties there dog out for any period of time, but that remeinds me of another example.

I befriended this one local rescue group on facebook and they posted a snide remark about how during a home inspection for a potential adopter's application they found a "tie out" in the back yard and immediately shunned the couple and denied them.

As the drama unfolded it turned out the tie out belonged to the couples sister who was visiting with her little Yorkie and she tied him out to go potty every morning so he wouldn't slip out from under the fence and run away.

The rescue made total asses out of themselves by repeatedly saying that tie outs were cruel and barbaric and they would never adopt to anyone that would allow them on their property. etc...

It was handled so poorly, the people ended up seeing the post and were on there freaking out about how dare you air our dirty laundry and slander us as unfit dog owners etc...

haha

Anyways back to your point about seeing test results we didn't do that because we met with her local vet and they just raved about how great the dogs parents were and how good she was with bringing all the pups in regularly etc..

Thanks

I do rescue, yes we make everyone fill out an adoption application with references, and we check them. Adoption fees are based on how old the dog is and has nothing to do with how much money was spent on said dog (spay/neutering, shots, blood work, heart worm test, fecal testing, dentals, etc) On top of that we do a home check which is necessary as people lie all the time. Fenced yard is necessary for a varied amount of reasons, 1. being these dogs love to escape out the door, they think its a game. 2. knowing that the dog can have some area to potty without being kept on a leash. People are never encouraged to leave their dog out in the yard unattended. The other reason people lie is when you ask if they have other pets and they say no until you actually do a home check. Rescues aren't in it for the money I can tell you that, most of us spend thousands out of our pocket for dogs entrusted to them for fostering while waiting for their furever home.
    bett likes this.
    Hidden Content

Cayenne born 8/9/2007

Leo born 8/9/2007 rescued 7/2008

McKenzie born 8/9/2007 rescued 2/2010 re-homed 9/28/2011

Raw fed since 11/2008Hidden Content

Thanks

Are there any animal shelters in your area? Usually they aren't so pricey and particular
    An ounce of nutrition is worth a pound of vet bills.

Thanks

I agree that some rescues and even "good" breeder sometimes seem to almost push people into getting a pup from less "ideal" areas. Some reasons I was denied before I went the less ideal way: I had a large dog (hello, 14 yr old golden with a history of living with small dogs), no vet background (uh, when you see a vet maybe twice a year, they don't exactly remember you), I had young children (umm, 10 and 13 aren't exactly little and they had grown up with dogs), and the final straw: I worked (yeah, and had a puppysitter all lined up).
    On the bad knees, my one pup who's parents tested clear is the one with a bad knee.

Thanks

If you can't adopt through a rescue you will likely have less luck with a reputable breeder. You can decide which way you want to go and form some relationships, if people know you, know you are trustworthy and a decent owner they are more likely to work with you. Restrictions are in place to weed out the idiots and the high likelihood of return. So you will walk the dog, but a lot of people won't and pretty soon the dog without a fenced yard is back in the system. It's just easier not to risk it for most rescues. If you go through smaller local humane societies and shelters, not rescues you can probably find one that will give a pet to anyone who seems nice. My parents got a mini schnauzer, fixed, chipped, for $0 while on vacation, in an rv, with a cat from some crazy shelter a few years ago. And yes you bought from a byb, sound like about a damn puppy mill, multiple breeders, multiple litters all the time? A reputable breeder will health test, which you can see the results online yourself, will show or work their dogs in some manner and possibly temperament testing. Not breeding pets, or withholding papers, chances are they don't exist anyways because papers don't "cost more" and the breeder can choose limited or full registration.

Thanks

So am I hearing this right, a person must have a fenced in yard to be a responsible dog owner?

I think whiteleo and goingpostal just proved my point about rescues being out of their minds.
    If these guys had their way only people living in wilderness sanctuaries would be able to keep a pet ;-)

Everyone that rents, lives in a condo or subdivision or lives in an apartment, please surrender your abused dogs immediately!

When my dog wants out he goes to the door and rings the bell tied to the knob, then I tell him to "sit" and "wait" till I'm out the door and on to the porch, then I say "yes through" and he comes out, then I tell him to "sit" and "wait" again while I attach the evil tie out cable to his collar. Then I say "yes through" again for him to go down the stoop and into the yard, from the porch I say "good boy, do your business!" and leave him unattended in the yard while I go back inside. About 3 -5 minutes later I'll hear a scratch at the door where I'll make him sit, wait and yes through all over again to get back inside, then I'll give praise and sometimes a treat. You people are nuts, I suspect fenced yard people probably leave their dogs unattended in the back yard to dig holes under the fence and escape.

If my dog didn't come to the door within 5-10 minutes I would know something was wrong where someone with a fence might not figure that out for a lot longer amount of time.
    Last edited by dredges; 07-18-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks

I think it depends on the dog whether or not it needs a fenced yard and Yes, the breed of dog that I do rescue for requires a fenced yard. There are many reputable rescues out there that require a fenced yard, but if everything checked out in your application besides having a fenced yard then they should still contact you. Yes, I look at how often the dog goes to the vet as we check references, and a vet will keep your records so if you say that they didn't it either means you didn't have a personal vet and just went to whoever was available, I personally would look down on that type of vet care.
    bett likes this.
    Hidden Content

Cayenne born 8/9/2007

Leo born 8/9/2007 rescued 7/2008

McKenzie born 8/9/2007 rescued 2/2010 re-homed 9/28/2011

Raw fed since 11/2008Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information