Grinding meat and bones Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Grinding meat and bones

Thanks

Default Grinding meat and bones

I don't plan to do this very often, but I need a feeding plan for when I board Lily. While the place that I would board is OKAY with raw (they actually feed their dog Primal), I can tell that they are not completely comfortable with Prey Model. And quite frankly, for the very few times I'll need to do this, I don't mind coming up with an alternative plan.

I don't have a meat grinder, but I do have a meat grinder attachment for my KitchenAid. Has anyone used that to grind meat and soft bone? Would it be okay for me to grind her daily allotment of meat - lets say beef, pork or chicken and add her daily allotment of bone (say, chicken wings) and organ??

I guess if I need to buy a meat grinder, I will, but if I can get away with using the KitchenAid that would be great.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks

When I was researching grinders for Chelsy, I checked into getting an attachment for my Kitchenaid. Everything I read said that the Kitchenaid grinder attachment had plastic parts and did not hold up well at all (just for regular items, not even considering bones).

We researched grinders to death (like we do everything else!) and ended up with an extremely heavy duty one, but it is the only one that still keeps its warrantee if you grind bones. We originally bought one for $100 because everyone said it would work fine on bones, but it died with the first chicken I put thru it. We ended up with a Weston but it was pricey. I justified it with the savings in vet bills.

Now......I have read that people have done just fine with smaller $100 ones from Cabella's or Northern. I just didn't have luck with one like that.

Thanks

Thanks Chowder...I'm almost afraid to ask...what did you end purchasing and how much?
    What is a typical grind mix for you?

Thanks

I bought a heavy duty grinder from Northern Tool Co. I think I spent $400 on mine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by isabellak View Post
    Thanks Chowder...I'm almost afraid to ask...what did you end purchasing and how much?
    What is a typical grind mix for you?
    I got a Weston #22 which was rated the best by all the raw dog food people who grind for their dogs ( and believe me, I read every site out there before spending that kind of money!!). It is all solid stainless steel and I can just chunk all the parts in the dishwasher. I can also get different size grinding plates and make a really big grind or a really small grind. It is guaranteed even with bones. I got it the cheapest thru Amazon for $469 ..... at the time it was from Buy.com

Amazon.com: Used and New: Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP

I was afraid it would be huge, but it only takes up about as much room as my kitchenaid on the counter. It is EXTREMELY heavy so it's not something you want to move up and down often. So far I've chunked in whole chickens and turkey necks and it just gobbles them up. (HAHA). You should see the dogs are chicken grinding day.....they line up in the kitchen and hope that chicken comes flying their way!!

Usually I buy chicken quarters because they are the cheapest. But when I get whole chickens, I just grind the whole birds together (guts and all) and don't really worry about bone proportions. I figure it's like the dogs just eating a whole chicken. So far they do great on that kind of a grind. Sometimes I can get turkey necks and I grind them separate since they are more boney. You have to cut the bird into portions that will fit in the grinder chute, but I use a kitchen shears and can make short work of a whole chicken. With the largest grinding plate, the bones come out in pieces about the size of large kibble so the dogs still have to crunch on them but Chelsy can get them down.

Just ask if you have any more questions. It was a HUGE purchase for us so we spent a lot of time checking them out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chowder For This Useful Post:

TuckersMom (05-09-2011)

Thanks

Ouch...That looks like a great machine, but for the amount of time I plan to use it, I just can't justify that cost. I did find the Northern Industrial #12 grinder for $129.99 - no where near as heavy duty, but maybe it would serve the purpose.

Amazon.com: Northern Industrial #12 Electric Meat Grinder: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks

I purchased a Sam Baere. You might want to check them out. I believe it was under $200. It does a great job on chicken bones. I only use it when I'm boarding her now. It's easy to clean and doesn't take up too much space.
    Hope this helps.
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4662626239_d3d1ac9647_m.jpg

Thanks

Thanks Kofismom. I found this and it looks like it will do the trick: SB-500 #10/12 Grinder + Extra Blades

Thanks

I"ve heard good things about both the Sam Baere and the Northern so I would go for those if I were doing only a small amount of grinding. I just don't have any personal experience with them.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I'm going to order the Sam Baere. I will report back once I've had a chance to use.
    Kofismom likes this.

Thread Information