turkey legs... Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: turkey legs...

Thanks

Default turkey legs...

Hello,

last night my dog ate a relatively large turkey leg ( over a pound). All went well as always. I got a good price on them and bought a bunch...

Today, at noon (!) after a long walk, we came home and she vomited some liquid and stuff. By my surprise i noticed several pieces of broken, shattered bones from the turkey she had last night. Some pieces seemed sharp enough to alarm me. But, how come that after 12 hours she has those bones undigested? Is that normal?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

It's normal if she's not used to eating turkey leg bones. They are much more dense then turkey neck bones or chicken bones and so it can take longer for them to digest. The pieces she vomited up were probably just irritating her stomach a bit but I don't think they are sharp enough to get through the stomach wall. What size dog do you have?

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danemama08 View Post
    It's normal if she's not used to eating turkey leg bones. They are much more dense then turkey neck bones or chicken bones and so it can take longer for them to digest. The pieces she vomited up were probably just irritating her stomach a bit but I don't think they are sharp enough to get through the stomach wall. What size dog do you have?
    It's a 75lb female schnauzer.
    She does eat them often actually and this is the first time the 'problem' happened and coincidentally she refused to eat her lunch.
    But she is behaving normally, I think.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

Then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Probably something else was irritating her tummy if she's used to eating turkey legs.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

From my point of view, she had some bones left in her stomach for whatever reason and she got rid of them because they were probably irritating the stomach lining. I don't see it as a big deal.

Refresh my memory ... Is she normally raw fed or is she kibble fed with a sometimes turkey leg? If she's normally raw fed, how long have you been feeding raw?
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RawFedDogs View Post
    From my point of view, she had some bones left in her stomach for whatever reason and she got rid of them because they were probably irritating the stomach lining. I don't see it as a big deal.

Refresh my memory ... Is she normally raw fed or is she kibble fed with a sometimes turkey leg? If she's normally raw fed, how long have you been feeding raw?
    She has been on raw for almost a year.
    Some times she get kibbles as 'treats' because I fill a rubber ball with them. But she eats raw every day, including a beef rib a day.

Thanks a lot, I feel better myself already now

Thread Information