Beef heart Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef heart

Thanks

Default Beef heart

Hi, hope you can help. I recently started feeding 100% raw to my two Siberian Huskies. My husband brought home 4 beef hearts today and I was wondering if I cut it up into smallish pieces can I feed them a bit each day with their normal food or will that be too much? They are 8 & 9 months old.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,003 Posts

Generally heart as well as organs aren't introduced until about two months into feeding raw as they are very rich. How long has it been since you started feeding raw? How many meat sources have you feed?
    That being said, since they are so young, they'll more than likely adjust to raw faster than an adult dog with years of kibble damage behind them. Even so, when you DO introduce these rich sources, you want it to be very very slowly, tiny pieces, about the size of your thumb nail at first, and gradually working your way up.
    If introduced TOO early, you will probably see mushy, dark stools... but that's' as much harm as it can do. It certainly won't "hurt" your dogs at all.
    --Linsey--
    RAW feeding my CARNIVORES since 2009

Thanks

Thanks for the info on the heart - They have only been on 100% raw for a week but were fed 50% kibble and 50% raw since about 12 weeks old. They are fed primarily chicken, fish, lamb, ostrich, and beef mince. I need to now start introducing organs but am not sure how much to give at a time, I read somewhere a small piece of liver once a week is sufficient - but am not sure what a small piece is, in grams

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    Thanks for the info on the heart - They have only been on 100% raw for a week but were fed 50% kibble and 50% raw since about 12 weeks old. They are fed primarily chicken, fish, lamb, ostrich, and beef mince. I need to now start introducing organs but am not sure how much to give at a time, I read somewhere a small piece of liver once a week is sufficient - but am not sure what a small piece is, in grams
    I would keep them on raw for another couple of weeks maybe then start introducing organs. Mine have been on raw for almost two months now, and I didn't give any organs for about three weeks. You could try and give some and make sure first the can handle it. If so, then go ahead. Just use your judgement on your dogs. I don't ever weigh mine when I feed. When I give beef liver, for example I give them two apiece once sometimes twice a week. If anyof them look like it may be to rich I back off.
    LIFES GOOD!!!

Jenny

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    In that case, your dogs should be able to handle small amounts of beef heart now. For nutritional purposes, heart is not an organ, rather it is muscle meat. However, it is a very rich meat and should be handled with caution until you determine your dog's tolerance for it. I feed a whole meal of beef heart about once a week or so but I began with a little at a time mixed with a regular meal.

For organs, you should feed a little liver with possibly some kidney sometimes and whatever other organs you might be able to easily get. I feed almost no organs other than liver. I feed a glob about once a week. I don't know how to tell you what a glob is. Just a hunk. Start off with very small pieces and work your way up to what looks right. I would guess that my globs are 1/2 to 3/4 of a lb but my dogs are Great Danes. Your globs would be smaller particularly in the beginning.

ETA: It wouldn't hurt to wait another few weeks on the organ stuff ... you might try small bits of beef heart now though.
    Last edited by RawFedDogs; 07-02-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Thanks

That's fantastic - thank you all so much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RawFedDogs View Post
    In that case, your dogs should be able to handle small amounts of beef heart now. For nutritional purposes, heart is not an organ, rather it is muscle meat. However, it is a very rich meat and should be handled with caution until you determine your dog's tolerance for it. I feed a whole meal of beef heart about once a week or so but I began with a little at a time mixed with a regular meal.

For organs, you should feed a little liver with possibly some kidney sometimes and whatever other organs you might be able to easily get. I feed almost no organs other than liver. I feed a glob about once a week. I don't know how to tell you what a glob is. Just a hunk. Start off with very small pieces and work your way up to what looks right. I would guess that my globs are 1/2 to 3/4 of a lb but my dogs are Great Danes. Your globs would be smaller particularly in the beginning.

ETA: It wouldn't hurt to wait another few weeks on the organ stuff ... you might try small bits of beef heart now though.
    This reminds me of a question I thaught of the other day. Is there a nutrional difference between a chicken heart and beef heart? Or is heart just heart either way?
    LIFES GOOD!!!

Jenny

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

Look up the nutritional differences between them here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html

Looks to me that the differences are minor. I feed beef heart because that's pretty much our dogs only source of beef because it's cheaper.
    Last edited by DaneMama; 07-02-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaneMama For This Useful Post:

dobesgalore (07-02-2010), magicre (07-21-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
    Or is heart just heart either way?
    I don't know the technical answer to that question but I would guess since heart is muscle, it would be the same difference as the muscle meat from a chicken to cow. Nutritionwise I don't know what the difference is except red meat is supposed to be healthier.

In my mind beef heart is a little healthier but I don't have anything to base that on other than feelings.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RawFedDogs For This Useful Post:

dobesgalore (07-02-2010), magicre (07-21-2010)

Thanks

Thanks ya'll. I wish could find beef heart here, but I can't. Chicken hearts either. But I will have plenty of chicken hearts as soon as I start getting all the chickens from the chicken houses I am going to next week.
    LIFES GOOD!!!

Jenny

Thread Information