Update Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Update

Thanks

DefaultUpdate

Just updating on Cricket:

She's been doing really well, she's been taking pork really nicely. We haven't been giving a lot of it yet but we're going to up the amount next week. We're starting her on beef soon, and we're planning on taking it really slow just to be safe. The small organ bits in her food haven't seemed to be bothering her. She did have another diarrhea flare up, but I think that was my fault for overloading her with too many treats (for training purposes). That's all gone now, though, it resolved in a few days. We wrote out a feeding plan for introducing beef and organs and it's probably going to take about two or three months to get her fully transitioned. SLOW. But we don't want to take any chances of her butt exploding again.

Just thought you would want to know!
    naturalfeddogs and InkedMarie like this.

Thanks

Good deal! I've been wondering how things are going with you, and was hoping you would check back in.

If if you are going to do treats for training purposes, try something dehydrated, like chicken. That you know is pretty easy to handle. You can also dehydrate boneless pieces of the same protein you are on at the moment (like pork, at the moment). In small amounts of course! Just a thought, I don't know what you were using for training. If you still have a little issue related to the treats, you may need to not use them for now.

Keep us posted!
    JENNY mom to
    Reba-Red Merle Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)/Rodeo-Red Tri Australian Shepherd
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!) ​All fed raw, the way nature intended!!
    Shadow-Black Tri Australian Shepherd
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Yeah, I cut back. I was mostly using dehydrated beef lung, dehydrated greed tripe, and dehydrated salmon skin and she did fine with those. I think it was this one treat that's more processed, its only ingredients are rabbit, corn starch, and vegetable glycerin (i know those aren't too great for her but she went bonkers over the samples so I figured they'd make good high value training treats). I gave her a dried beef trachea treat yesterday and she's been fine. I just hate not giving her treats sometimes!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DogFoodChat.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Occasionally is fine at the moment as long as she tolerates them. I would however, stick to raw treats rather than processed. You really don't know for sure what they are really putting in them, and how much.
    JENNY mom to
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)/Rodeo-Red Tri Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!) ​All fed raw, the way nature intended!!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

It's a brand I get all her other treats from, they're called barkworthies, I think? Barkworthies

Also, she's getting her broken tooth extracted soon and the vet said they'd probably do a teeth cleaning while she was under and we both literally laughed out loud. Her teeth look like we bush them twice a day! (cricket wasn't with us at the time so they didn't check her teeth)

Thanks

So Cricket had some loose poop and when I went to go check it I found a whole chicken foot bone in it. It looked like it was half digested, like the middle was floppy and the ends were still pretty hard. I'm thinking of fasting her for the night but Arne doesn't want to cause he hates fasting her (she complains non-stop when she doesn't get food, especially since we reduced the amount she's been getting), especially after she played so hard today. Or so he says. Who knows.

She had a decently fatty part of some pork this morning and had another tripe stick last night so that might be it...

Thanks

A small they are adjusting to digesting bone (and she is re learning), you may see whole bone on occasion. That's normal. I don't think I would fast her. How did the poop look otherwise?
    JENNY mom to
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Pretty much straight liquid with a little pip of normal poop... The whole bone thing just kinda freaked us out. We've seen the chips before but not the whole bones. Makes me a little scared to give her pork ribs again.. I'm pinning it on the fatty pork and the slightly excessive treats.. (she's had a tripe stick almost every day, which I know, probably not the best) Hopefully tomorrow is better. I gave her a little water (out of broth) with gelatin and slippery elm to give her a little protein and to put something in her stomach, and a little digestive coating..

Thanks

I would back off treats for awhile at this point. The slippery elm is worth a try, but also be sure you aren't over feeding.

Im also a little worried about all those meds she had after her trip to the vet. When I heard you were giving her those, I was afraid this would happen. It certainly could be contributing to the problem this time, and can take awhile to straighten back out. Have you tried some pro/pre biotics, to help the gut get back into order again? You may need to after all that stuff.
    JENNY mom to
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I haven't tried any pro/prebiotics only because I haven't found one I like. I don't think we're over feeding, most of the time her poop is fine, and she's started to lose a lot of weight again.. Her tuck is now just kinda a cavern and her hip bones are starting to protrude a lot. I really want to get her transitioned so I can get more nutrition into her so she can stop losing weight...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information