Can I overdo liver? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Can I overdo liver?

Thanks

DefaultCan I overdo liver?

Quick question, I've been looking through some old threads and read one where someone was feeding a great dane 1/2 pound of liver a week. My pooch is about 40 pounds and seven months old, and she's been getting a lot more then that. I'd say more like 2.5 pounds a week. Just for fun I did the math, not my strong suit FYI, figure adult weight of 60 pounds, so 2 pounds of food a day around 3.5 percent, 14 pounds a week, 11 pounds meat, 1.5 bones, .75 liver, .75 other organs. Roughly. So should i cut back, or as long as poo is ok it's OK? She was getting a bit bound up which is why I upped the liver. I could do beef heart instead though, oh, and if it matters, it's a variety of livers, beef, pork, chicken and turkey.
    magicre likes this.

Thanks

Yes you can over do liver. Of course it can cause cannon butt issues, but you can also get vitamin A toxicity as well, but I'm not sure how much or for how long it would have to be fed in order for that to happen. Beef liver is best, kidney is the next best to it.

Heart is a rich muscle meat, not an organ.
    Last edited by naturalfeddogs; 12-02-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    magicre, Herzo and jenniferny like this.
    JENNY mom to
    Reba-Red Merle Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)/Rodeo-Red Tri Australian Shepherd
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!) ​All fed raw, the way nature intended!!
    Shadow-Black Tri Australian Shepherd
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fieryphoenix View Post
    Quick question, I've been looking through some old threads and read one where someone was feeding a great dane 1/2 pound of liver a week. My pooch is about 40 pounds and seven months old, and she's been getting a lot more then that. I'd say more like 2.5 pounds a week. Just for fun I did the math, not my strong suit FYI, figure adult weight of 60 pounds, so 2 pounds of food a day around 3.5 percent, 14 pounds a week, 11 pounds meat, 1.5 bones, .75 liver, .75 other organs. Roughly. So should i cut back, or as long as poo is ok it's OK? She was getting a bit bound up which is why I upped the liver. I could do beef heart instead though, oh, and if it matters, it's a variety of livers, beef, pork, chicken and turkey.
    Hi Fiery Phoenix. Your total weekly meals add up to 14 pounds. The target (5%) for liver is 0.7 lbs. You are feeding 0.75. That is within any reasonable margin of error. No problem. Same with other organs.

For sake of PRM ratios, don't count heart as an organ.

My only advice would be to feed "by condition" as opposed to a set formula. Two pounds daily for a 40 lb dog sounds like it might be high. But go by body condition.

Currently you are not feeding too much liver.
    magicre likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DogFoodChat.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Those numbers are just the ideal numbers that I ran, not what she actually gets, she gets a lot more liver then that, around 2.5 pounds a week. I'll definitely have to cut it down a lot. The pooch just loves her liver and I thought it was super good for her. I'll fill in her meals with something else :)

Thanks

Sorry, I misunderstood. Liver is a fantastic and necessary component of a raw canine diet. You're fortunate your dog loves it.

However, it is possible to over-do the fat soluble vitamins that are so plentiful in organs, so better to stick near PRM ratios despite her affinity for liver.

You're making a wise decision.

All the best.
    magicre and Herzo like this.

Thanks

I concur. That's alotta liver! LOL! I would be more concerned about buildup of Vitamin A than anything else. The number is pretty high for a toxic amount; I can't remember exactly how much, but feeding about 320% of what would be considered a normal amount seems kinda much. Personally, i would forego the liver completely for a month or so. If you can get pancreas, spleen, testicles, kidney, etc. you can feed that instead, and not very much of it, maybe an ounce or two instead of 11 ounces which would be .7.
    magicre, Herzo and OtherGuy like this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,386 Posts

60 lbs full grown for a great dane?

i thought they get bigger than that.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magicre View Post
    60 lbs full grown for a great dane?

i thought they get bigger than that.....
    I believe Firey Phoenix was making the point that she has been feeding her dog (now 40 lbs, and heading towards 60) a lot more liver than another raw-feeder who has a Great Dane. Which is what caused her to question what she was doing.
    Herzo likes this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OtherGuy View Post
    I believe Firey Phoenix was making the point that she has been feeding her dog (now 40 lbs, and heading towards 60) a lot more liver than another raw-feeder who has a Great Dane. Which is what caused her to question what she was doing.
    i got the part about overfeeding the liver. i'm wondering how a great dane finishes up at 60 lbs. never knew they were so light.

Thanks

Her dog is going to be around 60# when grown. The Dane she referred to isn't hers. She was just using that as a comparison to the amount she's feeding. That's my understanding.
    magicre and Herzo like this.
    JENNY mom to
    Reba-Red Merle Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)/Rodeo-Red Tri Australian Shepherd
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!) ​All fed raw, the way nature intended!!
    Shadow-Black Tri Australian Shepherd
    Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to naturalfeddogs For This Useful Post:

magicre (12-05-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information