gastric torsion/raw meat diet Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By naturalfeddogs
  • 1 Post By Losech
  • 1 Post By woganvonderweidenstrasse
  • 1 Post By Chocx2

Thread: gastric torsion/raw meat diet

Thanks

Default gastric torsion/raw meat diet

Hi all,

a freind of mine posted today on his facebook that their friend's dog had died of gastric torsion. It was a big great dane, they are very prone to it.

So i was thinking.... when my own dog, a big german shepherd, was feed with kibble, when had had the chance, had open the kibble bag and ate as much as possible, and had risked it too, because his stomach had gone "inflated".... since i have switched to raw meat, this has not happenned again, ofcourse he has no access to the food, but he also ates more quite and pacefully.

My question is... do wolves in the wild can suffer of gastric torsion as our dogs do? Is there any relation between kibble and gastric torsion? is there any way to help prevent it using certain types of foods?

Thank you all in advance!!

Isabel

Thanks

About all I can think of right off, is that considering raw is a dog/wolves natural species appropriate diet, is that it probably isn't as big of a concern. With raw meat and bones, they tend to chew longer therefore slower eating. Could it still happen? I'm sure it COULD, but it lessons the chances IMO.
    Kat and Anonylee1 like this.
    Jenny mom to

Psyco-Domestic Shorthair cat / Shadow- Black tri Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!)
    Smokey-Domestic Shorthair cat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to naturalfeddogs For This Useful Post:

Belel (05-05-2013)

Thanks

Seems to be less common in dogs who eat raw foods. I've met a couple rawfed dogs who have bloated, and head of many others online. So it still can happen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Losech For This Useful Post:

Belel (05-09-2013)

Senior Member woganvonderweidenstrasse's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely I think the elimination of grains, veggies and fruits in the diet drastically reduces bloat. My dog NEVER farts...as in NEVER! He's never gassy or bloated, so definitely think chance are much slimmer with raw diet. That said, you still mustn't exercise your dog for at least an hour after he's eaten. Wolves in the wild rest after a meal, and so should your dog.
    Chocx2 likes this.
    Aliana, mom to Wogan von der Weidenstrasse aka Logan.
    Male German Shepherd
    Raw fed since 12 October 2012

7. The Following User Says Thank You to woganvonderweidenstrasse For This Useful Post:

Belel (05-09-2013)

Thanks

I think another thing that can contribute to bloat is rolling over-- especially after a meal-- this gives opportunity and likelihood that the stomach will roll over on itself. When your dog is resting, and he wants to change position to lay on his other side, does he roll over to the other side, or does he get up and turn around, then lay down again? I was just realizing this the other night, in fact, as I was watching Annie change positions: she never rolls over unless we ask her to-- instead, she gets up and turns around-- even if it means stepping down off the couch, turning around, and climbing back up onto the couch again-- even if she is in pain from arthritis, the poor lady.

Dottie, on the other hand, loves belly rubs so much she will instantly roll onto her back if she even *thinks* someone might be coming her way, lol. But she too will often step off her bed to turn around, then get back on her bed in a new position.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fundog For This Useful Post:

Belel (05-09-2013)

Thanks

Veggies and fruit added gas to my dog who use to blow up with gas after eating kibble and when I use to put veggies in food years ago. IMO I would never give it. Use good common sense, if it would give you gas it would probably do the same for a dog. Humans can handle it better we know when we have a problem. Meat has a lot of moisture which is absorbed very quickly in the dogs gut less of a chance for bloat. Good Luck
    naturalfeddogs likes this.

My dogs bring me ducks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocx2 For This Useful Post:

Belel (05-09-2013)

Thanks

Thank you all for your answers!!!

Thread Information