HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! so scared, I am still shaking Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! so scared, I am still shaking

Thanks

Default HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! so scared, I am still shaking

Max throw up while eating and some must have gotten caught in his throat, he was choking and fell over with his eyes all bugged out, I thought he was going to die.....I grab his chest and heaved like the hymlic and massaged his throat, it was the longest seconds of my life, not sure I want him to have whole bones anymore. Crap I am still shaking....he seems fine now. what a way to start the dam day, and now I have to go to court with my daughter because *** broke her hand.... it can only get better right?
    Last edited by DaneMama; 08-15-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: language

Thanks

I bet that was scary! What was Max eating? Be sure he has a large enough cut of meat/bone that he has to chew rather than gulp. Remember, a dog can choke on anything.

It's a good thing you were there for sure. And, yes it will get better. Court will be fine.
    Last edited by DaneMama; 08-15-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    whiteleo and Scarlett_O' like this.
    Jenny mom to

Psyco-Domestic Shorthair cat / Shadow- Black tri Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!)
    Smokey-Domestic Shorthair cat

Thanks

Yeah, I have had some heart in throat moments where my dogs have gotten things caught in their throat and had to bring them back up. This actually happens with boneless hunks of things as opposed to bone-in things. Like my vet told me though, dogs are very good at dislodging things from their throats on their own. He told me this when I asked him to show me how do the Heimlich. He showed me and all, but said he has never had to use it.
    whiteleo and naturalfeddogs like this.

Tux - black lab mix DOB 8/16/08

Cabo - yellow lab DOB 1/9/09

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
    Yeah, I have had some heart in throat moments where my dogs have gotten things caught in their throat and had to bring them back up. This actually happens with boneless hunks of things as opposed to bone-in things. Like my vet told me though, dogs are very good at dislodging things from their throats on their own. He told me this when I asked him to show me how do the Heimlich. He showed me and all, but said he has never had to use it.
    If the dogs eyes were bugging out I don't think that he was bringing the bone up...? I think I like the idea of pre-made ground better lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
    I bet that was scary! What was Max eating? Be sure he has a large enough cut of meat/bone that he has to chew rather than gulp. Remember, a dog can choke on anything.

It's a good thing you were there for sure. And, yes it will get better. Court will be fine. The ass will pay!!!
    I gave him a large chicken leg quarter, he gets on every morning and I change up the boneless I add...... today was the chicken, tripe, and smelts. he had already thrown up the chicken and what not, not sure what got stuck, I had just walked out of the room I heard him vomit and came back to see him fall over not breathing.

of course my DH said I told you that raw food was gonna make him choke.

and court went ok, dcf showed up right after court, she is not mad she understands why I called..... after all this maybe she will have a little peace

Thanks

Ah, these dogs...they will be the death of US, huh? I remember when our Basset growing up had the same experience...SOO scary!! (Of course her's was with kibble, since choking can happen with ANYTHING, but just as scary and caused me to have to do the SAME thing to/for her!)

What cut, size of cut, was he eating?
    ^IMO/IME
    Im Abi
    Pups: Rhett and Caoimhe("Keeva"), '11 Border Collies, Leo, '07 Border Collie, Brody, '10 Pug/x and Miss Dixi, '08 Mini Dachshund.
    Kitties: Ladi Ducki, 1 year old Turkish Van Cat, Princes Pidgin, 2 year old Snowshoe/Calico cat.
    All raw fed and LOVING it, because no living being is made to live off of processed foods.

PMRaw~~“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Thanks

[

What cut, size of cut, was he eating?[/QUOTE]

large chicken leg quarter, tripe and smelts (semi cooked)..... he had a pile of vomit on the floor so not sure what he was choking on....... it took me almost an hour to stop shaking and I can still picture him stiff legged, eyes bugged out and falling over... I hug and squeezed him to dam much after he looked at me like I had lost my mind but also thankful his mom thinks quick. he is not a gulper he generally chews everything very well

Thanks

It sounds like something "just" went down wrong.
    Although scary....it can happen no matter what is being ate, or drank.

HECK I do it all the time with water....feel like Im dieing each and every time!!

Keeva had a mini choking episode the other day(was able to hork it up her self after a little bit of a struggle)....she was eating boneless, ground turkey...it can happen anytime.
    Rvent likes this.
    ^IMO/IME
    Im Abi
    Pups: Rhett and Caoimhe("Keeva"), '11 Border Collies, Leo, '07 Border Collie, Brody, '10 Pug/x and Miss Dixi, '08 Mini Dachshund.
    Kitties: Ladi Ducki, 1 year old Turkish Van Cat, Princes Pidgin, 2 year old Snowshoe/Calico cat.
    All raw fed and LOVING it, because no living being is made to live off of processed foods.

PMRaw~~“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Roo
    Thanks

Ah, these dogs...they will be the death of US, huh? I remember when our Basset growing up had the same experience...SOO scary!! (Of course her's was with kibble, since choking can happen with ANYTHING, but just as scary and caused me to have to do the SAME thing to/for her!
    I agree, one of my dogs has choked on kibble on more than one occasion in the past, and I've seen a dog choke on a NV premade raw patty, unfortunately these things can happen and all we can do is be as prepared for it as possible by always supervising feedings, learning how to administer the Heimlich properly to dogs, and maybe making a kitchen kit that Whiteleo has suggested that includes kitchen tongs for grabbing any food that gets stuck and the dog can't work up naturally.

Safe Dog Safety Tip: Choking - YouTube

Kitchen Kit
    Question about choking?
    Scarlett_O' likes this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roo For This Useful Post:

Rvent (08-18-2012)

Thanks

My husband got a piece of pear stuck in his throat at work yesterday and one of his colleagues had to thump him on the back to dislodge it.
    (he hadn't stopped breathing or anything as serious as that) but it makes you think.

Many years ago a friend's sister's husband died (he was only in his 20s) choking on a piece of chocolate, sadly his wife wasn't big enough to lift him up and attempt any emergency procedure on him and he died.

To get back to dogs, Stanley will sometimes choke on large pieces of boneless because he doesn't want to chew much so I now cut them into smaller pieces.
    Don't have a problem with bones.

Stanley born 21.2.06
    raced for 3.5 years (Chile Will He)
    Jed born 1.12.08
    raced for 2 years (Ain't No Saint)
    Adopt a Greyhound the fastest friend you'll ever make.
    www.greyhoundsaspets.org.nz

Thread Information