Bone every other day? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Bone every other day?

Thanks

Default Bone every other day?

The other day I got a bunch of chicken leg quarters (for $.09/lb!) and they are huge. Emma eats 20 ounces a day, and each of the chicken quarters is about that. We have recently switched over to once a day feeding, as it seems to work best for her. Here's what I'm wondering...can I feed a chicken leg quarter one day, and than just red MM the next day? Or do you think all the bone in the chicken leg quarter would make her constipated, and then that much MM would cause loose stools? Would it be better to try to make each day a little more balanced?

Also, I'm slowly introducing liver and it's going well. 5% of diet should be OM, half of which needs to be liver (right?). If I am not feeding another organ, should the full 5% be liver?

Thanks!

Thanks

I'm definitely not an expert, and there are lots of others on here who are more experienced at feeding raw than I am, but here's my two cents:

Try it! My dog can easily go with bone every second day only. Some dogs can't. You won't know unless you try. I think you'll know pretty quickly if it's not working for her!

And, long term, 10% of the diet should be offal meat, at least half of which should be liver. But again, every dog is different, so it's a question of what works for your dog! I would say in the beginning, if you're only feeding liver, to work up to 5% of liver, and then maybe start adding in other organs. It won't hurt her to have liver be her only organ for awhile. Balance over time! Doesn't have to be 80-10-10 every day, just over the couurse of the week/few weeks/month/whatever works for you.

Good luck! I'm sure you will get more better answers here. =)

Stef and Dobby - Corgi mix, born 12/23/2010, adopted 12/17/11, raw fed since Jan. 2012

PitaPata Dog tickers

Thanks

How long have you been feeding raw?

Some dogs do fine with bone every other day, some even less than that. I have one who needs bone at least every other day. Any rich red meats or just boneless causes her the runs. If she seems to be constipated, you can increase the boneless.
    Liz likes this.
    Jenny mom to

Psyco-Domestic Shorthair cat / Shadow- Black tri Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!)
    Smokey-Domestic Shorthair cat

Thanks

Not sure how long you have been feeding raw, but yes, all dogs are different with their needs. I have two dogs who do well eating something with bone every other day only. And one dog who does best eating something with bone every single day.
    Liz likes this.

Tux - black lab mix DOB 8/16/08

Cabo - yellow lab DOB 1/9/09

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

We feed bone every other day without issue. But I don't suggest getting into that right off the bat, go into it slowly over the course of a week or two.
    Liz likes this.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

the longer we feed our dogs raw, the less bone i have to feed, so every other day works out just fine...sometimes, depending on the protein, i can go longer....

but if i feed beef heart or any heart, there will be bone the next meal....the richer the protein, the more likely my dogs will have bone.

i don't much care if the stools are chalky.

actually i think chalky means too much bone, so some of the stools my dogs have are formed, but a little softer....and i'm okay with that.
    Liz and bridget246 like this.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. We have been doing raw for about a month...and a half? I can't remember actually. She has transitioned VERY well and is now eating chicken, turkey, pork, beef (including heart) and small amounts of lamb. I think the only thing that has caused stomach issues was eggs, so we're holding off on those for a while. We did more bone in the begining and now I'm finding she needs less, which is why I'm not sure if the chicken quarter every other day would be too much. But, I'm going to slowly try it out and see how it goes. I guess the worst that could happen is she gets constipated, followed by diarrhea. If that's the case, I'll continue making each day more balanced.
    magicre and Liz like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by creek817 View Post
    I'm definitely not an expert, and there are lots of others on here who are more experienced at feeding raw than I am, but here's my two cents:

Try it! My dog can easily go with bone every second day only. Some dogs can't. You won't know unless you try. I think you'll know pretty quickly if it's not working for her!

And, long term, 10% of the diet should be offal meat, at least half of which should be liver. But again, every dog is different, so it's a question of what works for your dog! I would say in the beginning, if you're only feeding liver, to work up to 5% of liver, and then maybe start adding in other organs. It won't hurt her to have liver be her only organ for awhile. Balance over time! Doesn't have to be 80-10-10 every day, just over the couurse of the week/few weeks/month/whatever works for you.

Good luck! I'm sure you will get more better answers here. =)
    Offal feeding is only something that I do for my dog once a week. It causes diarrhea.

Senior Member Dude and Bucks Mamma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dustinshaw98 View Post
    Offal feeding is only something that I do for my dog once a week. It causes diarrhea.
    Then you should probably either go back and reintroduce it better or feed it two to three times per week so they aren't getting so much at once.

To the OP: Anyhow, every dog is different. One of my boys needs around 30% bone EVERY day and does best on poultry or beef with TONS of bone involved while my other boy can eat rich hearts for multiple days in a row before his stools are even a little bit less than perfect. When that happens he gets a meal consisting of a really meaty RMB and he is set! Like DaneMama said, don't change it overnight. Do it over the next week or two. It sounds like you have a pup who doesn't need a whole lot of bone! Those dogs are SO easy to feed! I love it!
    Liz and shellbell like this.

Dude-9.5 year old Smooth Collie
    Buck-2 year old Bluetick Coonhound
    Iorveth-7.5 month old Standard Xoloitzcuintli

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Sue View Post
    Thanks everyone. We have been doing raw for about a month...and a half? I can't remember actually. She has transitioned VERY well and is now eating chicken, turkey, pork, beef (including heart) and small amounts of lamb. I think the only thing that has caused stomach issues was eggs, so we're holding off on those for a while. We did more bone in the begining and now I'm finding she needs less, which is why I'm not sure if the chicken quarter every other day would be too much. But, I'm going to slowly try it out and see how it goes. I guess the worst that could happen is she gets constipated, followed by diarrhea. If that's the case, I'll continue making each day more balanced.
    when you intro organs, which are coming, but i'd wait a bit for some more adaptation......your dog has an iron gut...something we all wish we had....and many do...
    intro chicken liver first, as it's the most gentle on the system...about 5% of the diet should be liver.....which is the source of goodies such as fat soluble vitamins....

we feed ours frozen kind of like treats for after they exercise, so they get a tiny bit daily, but i have smallish dogs....

once you've gotten a decent reaction with chicken liver, then you can move up to beef or bison or another protein liver.....after that, it's time for kidney and then whatever other organ you can find. just go slowly with these.....:)

still, their digestive systems need time to adjust their enzymes and bacterias to accomodate this wonderful method of feeding, so organs can wait a few months.

Thread Information