How much organ? - Page 2 Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How much organ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Thanks for the replies :) I doubt I could get Ruby to eat a whole meal of organs, when fully transitioned I will probably feed them 3 times a week with her bone-in meals.

I have pork, chicken, and lamb liver. I have not been able to find any other types at my grocery store, except that they do have a whole shelf of beef organs - kidney, liver, tongue, spleen.

Just not sure if I can do the beef though since Ruby cant handle beef meat. I want to get hearts too, but the only place I know that sells hearts is a pet store that sells turkey hearts.
    your ruby is a little lighter in weight than my pug and he gets a little slice of liver every other day, frozen.....because that's the only way he'll eat it. i don't even weigh it any more, but it's probably a 1/2 inch cube......sometimes smaller, sometimes bigger...on alternate days, he gets kidney or spleen or sweetbreads or whatever i have on hand.

my SIL takes slivers off a frozen lamb liver for her min pin/ chi.....

i only do that because my kids don't like organs, so i give them daily like treats after a walk on the treadmill or outside.

Thanks

I dont want to hijack this thread but I'm a bit confused. According to calculations.. Raj...who weighs 65 lbs gets about 1.3 lbs a day should only get .4 organ meat/4 days and Willow who gets about 1 lb per day should get only .3/ 4 days does that sound about right?

Nicole
    Raj&Willow
    Malice&Mozart

Raw fed since December 19th 2011

http://thruyoureyesormine.blogspot.com/

Kat
    Thanks

Gave Ruby her second .20oz piece of liver with her chicken drumstick for dinner today. Her poop was fine after the first one a few days ago. We'll see what happens with her next poo!

PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ciaBrysh View Post
    I dont want to hijack this thread but I'm a bit confused. According to calculations.. Raj...who weighs 65 lbs gets about 1.3 lbs a day should only get .4 organ meat/4 days and Willow who gets about 1 lb per day should get only .3/ 4 days does that sound about right?
    let's see if i can still do math. 44 oz x 7 days = 308 oz per week
    so
    30.8 oz = 10 per cent for organs
    that means
    15.4 oz for liver
    15.4 oz for other organs

i think that's right. and that is per week....

the other dog:

eats 16 ounces x 7 days = 112 ounces per week
    so
    gets
    11.2 ounces of organ
    5.6 oz of liver
    5.6 ounces of another organ.

so you could easily divvy this up during the week....

feel free to correct me. i excelled in other subjects, but not math.

my dog gets 6 oz per day x 7 =42 ounces per week
    so ten per cent of that is

4.2 ounces per week
    2.2 for liver
    2.2 for other

so they get some every day, because it's so small BUT i started out giving them dime sized pieces until i built up to what they get.

Thanks

How did you get the 44 oz? I was going by 1 lb 3 oz so Raj gets 19 oz/day I think oso at least, unless I'm getting my numbers from the wrong place?

Nicole
    Raj&Willow
    Malice&Mozart

Thanks

if you want to use daily numbers, that's fine. i was using weekly numbers....so that i know how much to give on a seven day cycle. mine are small, so they get their organs every day as a treat for taking a walk...

if he is eating 19 oz per day, then ten percent of that is 1.9 oz per day....

five per cent of that is .95 oz, so

he would get
    .9 give or take oz of liver
    and
    .9 give or take oz of some other organ, such as kidney, spleen, pancreas, adrenals, any secreting organ, brain, and i can't think of the other ones today, because i have no brain cells left after going to costco on friday the thirteenth. :)

ok. and you're right. i'm wrong in my upper numbers.
    my bad.

if he is getting 19 oz per day, that's 133 oz per week. my bad.

then you take ten per cent of that, which is 13.3 oz, divide it into two, five percent liver and five percent something else, and that's your ten percent per week number...

that would be the per week amount of ounces. sorry for the confusion...where's natalie when i need her LOL

it's the one thing i don't measure. i just almost thaw liver or whatever and cut them into half inch cubes.....

i think i'm right. if not, let me know and i can shoot myself :) or drink.
    Last edited by magicre; 01-13-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magicre View Post
    if you want to use daily numbers, that's fine. i was using weekly numbers....so that i know how much to give on a seven day cycle. mine are small, so they get their organs every day as a treat for taking a walk...

if he is eating 19 oz per day, then ten percent of that is 1.9 oz per day....

five per cent of that is .95 oz, so

he would get
    .9 give or take oz of liver
    and
    .9 give or take oz of some other organ, such as kidney, spleen, pancreas, adrenals, any secreting organ, brain, and i can't think of the other ones today, because i have no brain cells left after going to costco on friday the thirteenth. :)

ok. and you're right. i'm wrong in my upper numbers.
    my bad.

if he is getting 19 oz per day, that's 133 oz per week. my bad.

then you take ten per cent of that, which is 13.3 oz, divide it into two, five percent liver and five percent something else, and that's your ten percent per week number...

that would be the per week amount of ounces. sorry for the confusion...where's natalie when i need her LOL

it's the one thing i don't measure. i just almost thaw liver or whatever and cut them into half inch cubes.....

i think i'm right. if not, let me know and i can shoot myself :) or drink.
    Don't shoot yourself lol I'm terrible at math as well (had to drop out of it in 10th grade of high school or else I probably wouldn't have graduated lol)
    This is how I'm getting my numbers..Organs should take up about 1.5 meals a week. so if one meal is 9 oz thats about 13 oz per week.
    Wait, so I'm now getting 3.25 LOL per every 4 days so it would be 6.5 ounces of liver and 6.5 ounces of kidney or other offal
    Oh geez lol I have no idea what I'm talking about and I completely hijacked her thread....sorry!!

Nicole
    Raj&Willow
    Malice&Mozart

Kat
    Thanks

Lol it's ok, any other organ questions can be asked here too :P So, Ruby had really gross poops twice today. Maybe Ill cut the .20oz down in half for next time, dont want to go through that again if i can help it lol

PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Lol it's ok, any other organ questions can be asked here too :P So, Ruby had really gross poops twice today. Maybe Ill cut the .20oz down in half for next time, dont want to go through that again if i can help it lol
    you don't need to feed beef liver. there are plenty of other livers....

and start out with a sliver, a dime size piece...you don't need two tenths of an ounce....liver is tricky.

Kat
    Thanks

Another question, do i have to wait for her to be fully transitioned to the liver before i can intro kidney?

And I know heart doesnt fall under the organ category, but do I have to wait for her to be transitioned fully to organs before introing heart?

PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Thread Information