deer vs elk antlers? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: deer vs elk antlers?

Banned
    Thanks

Default deer vs elk antlers?

So I know another member on this site said deer antlers were better, but fro ma picture standpoint alone, im liking the looks of elk antlers. what are the differences?

also where do you buy your antlers? I'd prefer a place that doesnt make you buy pounds and pounds. My dad is the one who's buying them, and he thinks the raw diet in general is unecessary, but I thin i can persuade him to get some antlers for the teeth if they are cheap!

matbe ill let winston run loose around our neighborhood and kill his own bait hahahaah

Thanks

I ave only bought deer, so I can't tell you the differences. I get mine from here. Grateful Shed Antler Dog Toys | Tey seem to have the best prices.
    RCTRIPLEFRESH5 likes this.
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/werecatrising/dfc.jpg

Thanks

Elk are harder. I get elk antlers mostly but I know some people worry that they'll crack teeth. I'm no help in terms of where to buy though because I get them from local hunters.
    RCTRIPLEFRESH5 likes this.
    ~Melanie~
    and Deeken the 4 y/o lab mix
    Feeding raw since March 2011!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by werecatrising View Post
    I ave only bought deer, so I can't tell you the differences. I get mine from here. Grateful Shed Antler Dog Toys | Tey seem to have the best prices.
    i wouldn't want something that would crack teeth!!! if you guys think elk antlers would be alright maybe ill go with the single super jumbo antler for 17 bucks.

Thanks

I have a white tail deer antler in my dogs toy collection. It basically looks no different after a year and I have seen then gnawing on it many times.

"I think how I used to pay a dollar twenty-nine at the pet store for one dried pig ear. I think how there used to be baskets of pig hooves, and cow bones to choose from by the cash register. I think how disgusting I use to think that was.
    The dried-up jaw still has its teeth. That much I can see.
    I think how gentle we want to believe the natural world is, but how unapologetically savage it is." - 'Fifty Acres and a Poodle'

Thanks

I've used both, and have found that the Elk antlers hold up to "power" chewers.

FWIW, my dogs would go through an entire 8" long antler in about a week if I left it out 24/7. Antlers are reserved for times when we have people over, or rainy days when they're bored, otherwise I'd go poor from having to buy them so often! My dogs LOVE them though!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
    FWIW, my dogs would go through an entire 8" long antler in about a week if I left it out 24/7. Antlers are reserved for times when we have people over, or rainy days when they're bored, otherwise I'd go poor from having to buy them so often! My dogs LOVE them though!
    this is deeks with deer antlers- he loves them the best of course but I do leave moose antlers out.
    ~Melanie~
    and Deeken the 4 y/o lab mix
    Feeding raw since March 2011!

Thanks

it's not so much the bone will crack teeth but it's how your dog
    chews. i give my dog beef femur bones. i want to buy some type of antler
    for my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by RCTRIPLEFRESH5 View Post
    i wouldn't want something that would crack teeth!!! if you guys think elk antlers would be alright maybe ill go with the single super jumbo antler for 17 bucks.
    "A Life Without A Dog Is A Life Unfullfilled"

Thanks

I use deer antlers... they seem to last forever.

Banned
    Thanks

my only concern is that winsotn is on a kibble diet...do i have to space out his chewing 12 hours from his food? i just want to give him an antler any time of the day!
    I thin ill go with elk.antlers...hopefully they dont crack wisnton's teeth
    also im scared i wont know when to throw it out....and im also kind of cheap so imight let it get really small.

Thread Information