My dog is not pooping, new to raw. Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: My dog is not pooping, new to raw.

Thanks

Default My dog is not pooping, new to raw.

It's been almost a little over a week since we started raw and I think my dog has only pooped like twice. He's a 12 yr old lab. Does not act uncomfortable in any way shape or form. I have been giving him the proenzymes. I have laid off on the bones. Anyway, when do I know that I need to do something. I'm afraid to even tell my vet that I switched him to raw because the practice is soooooooooo against it. Am I obsessing?

Thanks

Do you think he's only gone twice or do you know? If he's simply let out into the yard to do his business I'd guess that he's pooping more then you know. Raw poops are smaller and tend to crumble away so you may not notice them.

Dogs definitely poop less on raw but I have a feeling he's gone more then twice :). I wouldn't be concerned yet since he's acting normally.

What has he been eating?

Thanks

I started him on turkey. I know he pooped twice for sure, and my 11 yr old son know to watch Simba to see if he poops. He is deaf now and we have to follow him outside. I have given him a few bones which he did really well on. He's so cute. I heard that you should give a little pure pumkin from the can to help w/ both constipation and diarrehea. He's had 2 small doses of the pumpkin. My husband thinks Im nuts, but we all know that by seeing what their poop looks like indicates what could be going on inside.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

when you feed him breakfat in the morning, feed a little boneless chicken or turkey.....back off the bone for a few meals....the worst that can happen is he'll get loose stools..

older dogs don't always transition as easily and some transition great...you just never know and you learn to roll with the punches...

how do his poops look? are they solid?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magicre View Post
    when you feed him breakfat in the morning, feed a little boneless chicken or turkey.....back off the bone for a few meals....the worst that can happen is he'll get loose stools..

older dogs don't always transition as easily and some transition great...you just never know and you learn to roll with the punches...

how do his poops look? are they solid?

do you suggest feeding raw in the mornings? I usually feed my girls at night when I'm home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charged77 View Post
    do you suggest feeding raw in the mornings? I usually feed my girls at night when I'm home.
    Not sure what you are saying here... do you just feed one meal a day or are you feeding something else in the morning?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
    Not sure what you are saying here... do you just feed one meal a day or are you feeding something else in the morning?
    I just started raw today, and I've only feed them once.

Banned
    Thanks

Twice in a week means he's pooping every 2-3 days for sure - I'm not positive but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, especially in the first week and if he's acting like he feels well.

i think you should bypass the pumpkin and just try to adjust with a little less bone and a little more meat for a couple of days and see what happens. But then, if his poop looks good and isn't too hard or too soft, maybe no change is necessary. My dogs will sometimes go 2-3 days without pooping, to no ill effect.

i think feeding at night is good. I think it might help avoid him puking in the mornings, anticipating a morning meal.

Kat
    Thanks

Ruby usually poops every day or every other day on raw. Since they dont have to digest all the extra things like dogs that are kibble fed, they use more of what they eat and dont neccessarily have to poop everyday. I wouldnt be concerned yet either.

PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xellil View Post
    Twice in a week means he's pooping every 2-3 days for sure - I'm not positive but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, especially in the first week and if he's acting like he feels well.

i think you should bypass the pumpkin and just try to adjust with a little less bone and a little more meat for a couple of days and see what happens. But then, if his poop looks good and isn't too hard or too soft, maybe no change is necessary. My dogs will sometimes go 2-3 days without pooping, to no ill effect.

i think feeding at night is good. I think it might help avoid him puking in the mornings, anticipating a morning meal.
    i was going by the fact that the poo is white, not that he pooped twice.....

Thread Information