Swallowing food whole Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Swallowing food whole

Thanks

Default Swallowing food whole

So I've tried everything I can to slow down Ziva yet she continues to swallow food whole. I'm worried she's going to hurt her throat as she will swallow frozen pieces of boney pieces whole. Here's her latest swallow in one bite piece:

It doesn't matter if I try to give her huge pieces she takes the LARGEST bites possible and swallows her food whole.
    Here's another example:
    Heather
    Rawfeeding My Little Carnivores since July 2010

Banned
    Thanks

This is what I have done some with my little dog - I get something really big, like a turkey neck. It's about as long or longer than her body. Or a whole chicken quarter - something as big as your dog isn't going to get swallowed whole.

Then I let her go at it until she's eaten 2-4 ounces (you gotta guess).

If it's boneless, i cut it up into little tiny pieces. I don't ever give her anything the size of her head - she ate a chicken neck whole when I first got her, and even though it didn't hurt her it's not something i want her to do all the time.

Or, some folks say to hold the meat in your hand. I'm kind too lazy to do that :)
    cprcheetah likes this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xellil For This Useful Post:

cprcheetah (10-03-2011)

Thanks

LOL, Ziva won't eat from my hand, and if I try to take it from her she gobbles it up faster. Never seen a dog so 'starved' LOL in my entire life.

Some days I wonder if she's Hyperthyroid as she is CONSTANTLY looking for food and I have to feed her a high amount of food per weight in order to even keep weight on her.
    Heather

Thanks

My Nyla did that for a while with the chicken necks. So I started chopping them into smaller bites which were more like the large kibble. So she started chewing them. Eventually I gave her the whole necks again and now she chews them. But if making them into larger pieces didn't work then I would try making them into smaller pieces.
    cprcheetah and xellil like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nootherids For This Useful Post:

cprcheetah (10-03-2011)

Thanks

She swallows any size piece whole, which worries me if I cut the boney pieces down. She will chew slightly on boney pieces. And this girl has eaten almost an ENTIRE turkey neck in one sitting.
    Heather

Banned
    Thanks

I can see the look in her eyes! She's not messing around, that's for sure.

My dog does that too when i try to hold food - if i reach for her or even walk too close she starts doing the gobbling/running thing that's kinda funny but i'm sure is dangerous for choking.

Why don't you try something big and frozen, like a quarter, just to see what happens?
    cprcheetah likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xellil For This Useful Post:

cprcheetah (10-03-2011)

Thanks

I may have to try that. Even Shellie my golden who used to scarf her kibble in 2 seconds flat chews her food. I've never seen anything like Ziva before, she literally acts like she's starving 24/7, constantly scrounging for food, inside, outside wherever she can. She's coming due for her annual checkup and thinking about having some bloodwork ran to make sure she's okay.
    Heather

Banned
    Thanks

My dachshund is exactly like that except she doesn't have a high metabolism. She will try to scrape up squashed tomatoes that have been run over 50 times in a parking lot. I've never had a dog like this. She spends alot of time sitting by her bowl giving her dirty looks.

So if Ziva's ok healthwise, I can say for sure that it might not be "normal" (I don't think it's ever normal to be looking for food constantly) but I don't think it's unheard of - I think it's mental in my dog, not physical.
    cprcheetah likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to xellil For This Useful Post:

cprcheetah (10-03-2011)

Thanks

OMG ROFLMAO, I spit my pepsi out at that! That's too funny! Sounds EXACTLY like Ziva. She was a puppy mill/petstore dog and my cousin had her for about a month and I'm not entirely sure he made sure she had food all the time which may be her issue. She seriously is the biggest scavenger I've ever seen. I have had to start picking her up and taking her directly outside in the mornings otherwise she makes a loop around the house searching for food, and ends up having accidents in the house.
    xellil likes this.
    Heather

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nootherids View Post
    My Nyla did that for a while with the chicken necks. So I started chopping them into smaller bites which were more like the large kibble. So she started chewing them. Eventually I gave her the whole necks again and now she chews them. But if making them into larger pieces didn't work then I would try making them into smaller pieces.
    This is what I had to do with my Chihuahua Toby and he chews the small pieces great. I'm thinking about trying him with a whole neck again too.
    cprcheetah likes this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Donna Little For This Useful Post:

cprcheetah (10-04-2011)

Thread Information