Why I'll NEVER give a dog a marrow bone - Page 6 Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Why I'll NEVER give a dog a marrow bone

Thanks

I saw this thread last week. To be honest, I thought: "that's not happening to my dog and she absolutely loves her marrow bones filled with peanut butter from PetSmart, so I'll just watch her with them and give them to her less."

Today, we went for her year check-up and one of her back teeth had a minor chip. So, don't think it can't happen. I IMMEDIATELY thought of this thread when my vet pointed it out.

I'm going to be giving her the West Paw Tux filled with peanut butter frozen to get the similar effect of her chewing on these bones.

Our vet recommended C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews as an alternative to rawhide and marrow bones. She commented that the cow hooves that Quinn enjoys would be a better pick than the marrow, as well.

Here's a link to the C.E.T. -- C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Large Dogs, 30 Chews: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

What's everyone's thoughts on alternatives?

And THANK YOU for this post!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I saw this thread last week. To be honest, I thought: "that's not happening to my dog and she absolutely loves her marrow bones filled with peanut butter from PetSmart, so I'll just watch her with them and give them to her less."

Today, we went for her year check-up and one of her back teeth had a minor chip. So, don't think it can't happen. I IMMEDIATELY thought of this thread when my vet pointed it out.

I'm going to be giving her the West Paw Tux filled with peanut butter frozen to get the similar effect of her chewing on these bones.

Our vet recommended C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews as an alternative to rawhide and marrow bones. She commented that the cow hooves that Quinn enjoys would be a better pick than the marrow, as well.

Here's a link to the C.E.T. -- C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Large Dogs, 30 Chews: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

What's everyone's thoughts on alternatives?

And THANK YOU for this post!
    I now give my pug frozen beef rib bones. She loves em, they clean her teeth and I feel they are much more safer than marrow bones.
    Liz, leilaquinn and kennyk like this.
    I don't sugar coat anything. The world is cruel and unfair.
    Emma - Spayed Fawn/Black Pug
    Don't be afraid to rule out your flea control as an allergen. Try organic apple cider vinegar!

Thanks

Ignorant question time. What's the difference between a marrow bone and a raw meaty bone? I'm talking about the frozen raw bones you buy at the pet store or grocery store. I thought that those were raw meaty bones, but apparently there is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by jdatwood View Post
    Thanks but I'll stick with natures toothbrush... raw meaty bones
    Joe, Seamus and Teaghan, standard poodles
    Kalispell, MT
    Teacher and Agility Photographer, http://dogshots.biz

Liz
    Thanks

Most marrow bones are weight bearing bones (legs) which are extremely dense. They hold up several hundred pounds of cow. Raw meaty bones are more like whole chicken, turkey, duck, pork/beef ribs, pork/beef necks, turkey necks. Generally a softer or more porous bone a dog can actually eat.
    MollyWoppy and FBarnes like this.
    Liz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Liz For This Useful Post:

StdPooDad (07-28-2012)

Thanks

DaneMama, as you know my Millie is having that same tooth extracted on Tuesday. How has Shilo adapted to having that tooth gone?

Thanks

Is it me or do those "oral chews" look like rawhide?

Grey, I think your vet was just up selling you a product. That product could do as much harm as a regular rawhide bone. It is made of "select beef hide" in other words, rawhide.
    Last edited by PunkyPug; 07-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    I don't sugar coat anything. The world is cruel and unfair.
    Emma - Spayed Fawn/Black Pug
    Don't be afraid to rule out your flea control as an allergen. Try organic apple cider vinegar!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyPug View Post
    Is it me or do those "oral chews" look like rawhide?

Grey, I think your vet was just up selling you a product. That product could do as much harm as a regular rawhide bone. It is made of "select beef hide" in other words, rawhide.
    My thought exactly.
    <a href=http://i.minus.com/ibpB32HfsRHvuf.jpg target=_blank>http://i.minus.com/ibpB32HfsRHvuf.jpg</a>
    He was my friend, my partner, my defender, my dog. I was his life, his love, his leader.
    He was mine, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

Java
    03-22-97 ~ 07-09-11
    He will be sorely missed.

Banned
    Thanks

I'll try to avoid marrow bone this time. Since I don't brush my dog's teeth often, tartar could build up fast. Thanks for the infor jdatwood :)

Thanks

Awesome information. Thank you.

Thanks

I'm still kind of confused about what were talking about, I see the pictures but that seems like a lot of different body parts to me.

I know legs, basically anything labeled a "trotter" is not a good idea because of how easily broken they are, but I didn't realize the stuffed bones are an issue?

My dog gets hooves and knee caps and crown knuckles, thoughts on these?

Thread Information