Trifexis Reviews Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Trifexis Reviews

Thanks

Default Trifexis Reviews

I want to know your PERSONAL (not from what you've read) experience with Trifexis.

Please let me know what breeds and weight of dogs you own. How you gave the pill and how long you've been using the product.

TYVM
    I don't sugar coat anything. The world is cruel and unfair.
    Emma - Spayed Fawn/Black Pug
    Don't be afraid to rule out your flea control as an allergen. Try organic apple cider vinegar!

Thanks

Well, I personally have not but my mom and dad have a JRT who is on it. Olive (the JRT) got real lethargic and ran a temp. after the first dose. They took her to the vet who kept her over night. No problem was found and she was find by the next day. So they don't know if it was the Trifexis for sure or not. I told mom on the phone that if she does that again with the next dose to ask the vet to change the heartworm meds.

They also have another large mixed breed, about the size of a lab. She had no reaction at all.
    Jenny mom to

Psyco-Domestic Shorthair cat / Shadow- Black tri Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!)
    Smokey-Domestic Shorthair cat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to naturalfeddogs For This Useful Post:

PunkyPug (04-14-2012)

Thanks

I give it to Quinn, an 80 pound doberman. He has only been on it for two months. You have to give it with a meal, so he gets it with his dinner. He has not had any problems with it. He has been getting comfortis for the past year or so, no problems with that either.
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/werecatrising/dfc.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to werecatrising For This Useful Post:

PunkyPug (04-14-2012)

Thanks

TYVM for all your reviews.
    I'd really love it if anyone else could add their own experience :)
    Don't be afraid to rule out your flea control as an allergen. Try organic apple cider vinegar!

Thanks

I love trifexis. I have used it for my F/S 40lb Border collie (she had to be pts at the age of 7 not long ago due to an unrelated illness), and still use it for my 9yo Female Spayed Lab/Coonhound mix (70lbs) with great results (***See First Caveat***). I am also military and move alot so I have been in several climate areas in the states. During usage: Texas, Alabama, and currently Pennsylvania. I have used it since it first became available. For fleas and ticks it works well, even though it is not marketed for ticks it does work and has tested well against ticks in studies done by the company prior to release. I never had to use tick protection (Until my move to PA ***see Second Caveat below***). In Texas-known for horrible flea infestation and Heart worms -she never had an issue with Mosquitoes or Fleas.

*First Caveat: DEFINITELY feed the pill with food. I feed my Lab her morning 1.5 cups of food, and then add the pill to a treat mixture with some broth-or give it with a giant spoonful of peanut butter after her meal. The ingredient in it for heartworm prevention is Interceptor/milbemycin oxime and it does upset stomachs if not given with food. .

*Second Caveat: if you are in the upper Northeast area of the US (Such as PA) where ticks are bad...you will want to add a second form of protection for ticks. No matter WHAT product you use you will need/want to use it for extra tick protection to prevent Lymes disease. Prior to adding a Preventic collar to Mckenzie's regimen, I noticed no ticks for 3 out of 4 weeks of Trifexis use. After the 3rd week I did notice a tick or two on her and decided after conferring with my new vet (since I was new to the area) to add a second form of protection-which is common and recommended in the NorthEast US. Prior to that I never noticed Ticks on her in Alabama or Texas for 4 out of 4 weeks of Trifexis use.

Mckenzie (lab/coonhound) has been on it for 1.5 years with no issues. I do have to order it online since NE PA does not carry it in any vet clinic nearby, but I prefer it over any topical/other product. She swims alot and topicals are not practical for that reason.

Riley was on it for nearly 1 year until her sudden death (Unrelated to any medications)-she had no issues with it at all. She also used to swim frequenly and it was better to avoid topicals due to effectiveness. For that reason Trifexis was preferred.
    Last edited by semunky; 06-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to semunky For This Useful Post:

kaliberknl (06-10-2012)

Thanks

Semunky, I am so sorry to hear about your losses. Can you please share with us what symptoms they had before they passed, if you are able?
    Mason the Bullmastiff, CGC
    Born 09.07.2011

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bullyBug View Post
    Semunky, I am so sorry to hear about your losses. Can you please share with us what symptoms they had before they passed, if you are able?
    Her death was unrelated to the medication. It was behavioral and physical in nature-the combination of the two resulting in recommendations for such. She had previous medical issues that would result in her instability-but with treatments and love was very stable for most of her life. When things deteriorated again with her not responding well to the last medical issues...It was recommended to consider her happiness/comfort level and I made the very very difficult decision to have her PTS. She was very unhappy and in pain at the end.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to semunky For This Useful Post:

bullyBug (06-10-2012)

Thanks

I've lately stopped using any "medication" form of flea or tick control on Emma. About a month(maybe) ago we started using Apple cider vinegar. It seems to be working to repel the fleas.(my apartment complex is RUNNING with fleas) and i haven't seen a tick on her yet. We maybe going camping with her here soon. so it maybe a true test to see if it repels ticks. I maybe doubling her dosage while we're camping or creating a spray for her.

ETA: I used too many "maybe"s in that post xD

Thanks

It has worked very well for Harleigh. She has had no ill-reactions to it, but she definitely doesn't like to take it. I give it to her with her meal, but I have to wrap it in peanut butter to get her to take it, LOL.

She has been on it for at least 6 months, but it may be closer to a year. Can't remember when we started using it. Oh, Harleigh is 66 pounds and a Lab :)

ETA: Just realized this was a old(er) post. Oops! lol

Harleigh -- My <3

Thanks

Bandit, my 5 yr old male Akita has been on Trifexis for 3 mos. He refused to take it today. After he took it the first 3 times everything he peed on died! I hope interceptor comes back soon. He did well on that. I am at a loss as to what to use, have heard good things about Heartgard, but also heard it was not good for Akitas. Any suggestions?

Thread Information