Trifexis Reviews - Page 2 Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Trifexis Reviews

Thanks

We've only used one ingredient in that, and that was Spinosad, never had any bad reactions with it... kept the fleas at bay.
    Photobucket

David~Furmommy in every sense of the word...Raw fed and loving it!!! 3/11/11
    "A Tired Bull Terrier is a Happy Bull Terrier owner"

Thanks

I just wanted to share my experience with Trifexis. I love it. For the past few years I would just do the 6 month shot with my girls and have it over with then buy additional flea tablets for monthly flea care (Mostly for Snow since she is allergic to fleas). When I obtained Jud, I decided to try the Trifexis.

Okay let me back track a little bit. When I found Jud he was covered in fleas and infested with hookworms. I had to give him two flea baths to kill the fleas and when I took him to the vet, had him treated for the hookworms. Okay, while there I decided to go a head and try the Trifexis. I want you to know, he has not had fleas since and this is his second month on it. He has also tested negative two test a week apart for intestinal parasites. Jud has done so well on this I have decided to put the two girls on it.

Nothing like a working flea treatment that also protects against parasites (heart and intestinal). This is def a treatment I'd recommend.

ETA: Because Jud no longer has fleas, Snow doesn't have them either and is healing up very nicely from her reactions. I now have her on Comfortis as well for the fleas.
    Last edited by Justapup; 07-31-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: ETA

Snow: 2 yr Spayed Female. American Bulldog mix.
    Djehuti "Jud": 8 Month Male. APBT.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuwoman View Post
    Bandit, my 5 yr old male Akita has been on Trifexis for 3 mos. He refused to take it today. After he took it the first 3 times everything he peed on died! I hope interceptor comes back soon. He did well on that. I am at a loss as to what to use, have heard good things about Heartgard, but also heard it was not good for Akitas. Any suggestions?
    Interceptor is still on the market-perhaps your vet doesn't have it only at his clinic? I would call around to other locations and see if they have it. Your vet can also write a prescription and you can contact some of the online pet pharmacies. The main one-1800 pet meds express - is good. Sometimes you can contact the vendor itself and try to get the product via them-they will frequently help out. Google "interceptor" and go to their website and you can contact them.

As far as urine killing everything....most urine-especially from male dogs-DOES kill things and it isn't related to any meds a dog may be on except in specific instances...not associated with flea/heartworm medicines. Alot of it has to do with the concentration of the urine and whether they are peeing in the exact same spot. I frequently notice if my dogs had peed in one spot-it would die. That was prior to Trifexis, and back when I used frontline or advantage topical. Again it has to do with the concentration of the urine-if the dog has been drinking alot of water or holding their urine for long periods of time, etc...your vet can explain in more detail, though and you can discuss whether it is due to the meds or not.

I really would talk to your veterinarian for alternative medicine choices.

As for refusal to take the Trifexis-the spinosad in the medicine is what the dogs don't always like. Comfortis is the same product minus the heartworm preventative (interceptor). Spinosad is derived from a aerobic bacteria-a byproduct of the fermentation process I believe. Alot of dogs find the smell of it unappealing-and thats why I-like others on this topic-give it with treats. If you like the product you can always just crush it up and put it in a little bouillon (chicken or beef) broth mixed with the regular food (or just use broth). Slathering in peanut butter or a big piece of meat also works.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

I got three to try for Kofi. She is a 60 lb bulldog. The first month I had trouble getting her to eat. I broke pill up and hid it in cheese, but I'm still not sure if she ate it all.
    The next month I ground it up and mixed with her favorite raw meat. She was hesitant to eat and I think she even left some.
    The smell is horrible.
    This morning, I mixed it with salmon and raw egg, ground the pill up first.
    Half of this is still sitting in her bowl.
    I'm going to have to try something else. The odor is just too hard to hide what she is getting, and I don't blame her for not wanting her breakfast.
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4662626239_d3d1ac9647_m.jpg

Thanks

Lol....stubborn girl but unless you are willing to pill your dog physically-getting it past her tongue and down her throat-then no sense continuing if you can't get it down her.

I love trifexis and think its great-but sometimes there are points where things just won't work :P.

Switch the meds to something else then :P Also try contacting the company that makes Trifexis-they can get you a refund usually for all 3 pills-or just tell your vet and they may refund you. I haven't seen a drug company yet NOT try their best to make good on things when they go wrong with owners and their pets. I think it's Elanco-the parent company.

Heartgard and the like still work. Also I hear Interceptor is starting up production again-though their pills might not be QUITE available yet.

Thanks

PunkyPug,Trifexis protects dogs from parasites. Trifexis is once for month tablet that kills fleas, avoids heartworm sickness and treats and supervises full-grown hookworm, roundworm and whipworm diseases. And while it's beef-flavored, you can present it as a treat.Trifexis unites two great functional elements that are harmless and efficient at guarding against three types of hazardous parasites. And while it is given orally, there is no necessity to separate your dog from other pets or children.
    We rear two Feral dogs. Their names are Zona and Rio. Zona's weight is 15kg and Rio's weight is 10kg. We did not give Trifexis to any dog.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warunasanjaya1919 View Post
    PunkyPug,Trifexis protects dogs from parasites. Trifexis is once for month tablet that kills fleas, avoids heartworm sickness and treats and supervises full-grown hookworm, roundworm and whipworm diseases. And while it's beef-flavored, you can present it as a treat.Trifexis unites two great functional elements that are harmless and efficient at guarding against three types of hazardous parasites. And while it is given orally, there is no necessity to separate your dog from other pets or children.
    We rear two Feral dogs. Their names are Zona and Rio. Zona's weight is 15kg and Rio's weight is 10kg. We did not give Trifexis to any dog.
    I didn't ask for information on the product. I can find that on my own. I was looking for personal experiences. And since most people had neutral to negative reviews with Trifexis and small dogs, I think I'm going to stick with my tried and true HeartGard.
    I don't sugar coat anything. The world is cruel and unfair.
    Emma - Spayed Fawn/Black Pug
    Don't be afraid to rule out your flea control as an allergen. Try organic apple cider vinegar!

Thanks

I have a 60 lb boxer and a 50 lb. pit, both were given Trifexis by recommendation of our vet. The first dose , my pit was very sickly the next day , just laid around all day and refused to eat, which was very unusual for her. After 24 hours she was fine. The next month I gave them another dose, the next day my boxer was very lethargic, his back legs were very shakey and he just looked out of it. I put 2+2 together and I know it was the trifexis that caused these reactions. It was just too coincidental. I will never give them trifexis again. I wish I would have done my research before I gave them a dose. I will go back to heart guard, they did fine on that.

Yes unfortunately I did use Trifexis on my 11 pound 7 month old Cavachon. I did look at some reviews on google but agreed that medicine does effect dogs differently and decided to use it anyway. BIG MISTAKE-that I can't undo :( My dog did seem a little weak on her legs a few hours after giving her the pill-it did kill all the fleas- However, a big however-she started scratching uncontrollably about a week after her first dose and has not stopped scratching her skin since I gave her the medicine 1 1/2 months ago. I have not given her anymore of Trifexis. I contacted my Vet and Elanco to inform them of the adverse reaction. Neither one will admit that her scratching has anything to do with the product. Nothing has changed in her environment or food except for giving her one dose of Trifexis. I have never went on line and complained about a product. But the reaction from Elanco has outraged me and most importantly I believe that my puppy's immune system has been compromised. Of course neither the company nor my vet will concur with me the effect of the Trifexis on my dog. My vet did prescribe anehistamine which helps her only for the few hours the drug is in her system. I googled building the immune system in your dog and I am going to start giving her Omega-3 in hopes of building her immune system this week. If you LOVE your pet===DON'T GIVE IT TRIFEXIS! If you tried Trifexis and experienced the adverse results call FDA 1-800-FDA-PETS and COMPLAIN. Elanco's number (which will be of no help you will just get a case number is 888-545-5973.

Thanks

i have a 65 lb english bulldog male.. this product smells and tastes like dog poop.. i have a hard time getting it down his throat.. i would not want it in my mouth!!! i will try peant butter next time.. also this stuff is very expensive.... probably too expensive for some people to purchase...

Thread Information