is vet grade cephalexin safe for humans? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: is vet grade cephalexin safe for humans?

Banned
    Thanks

Question is vet grade cephalexin safe for humans?

ok this is a two parter -
    10- today is day 4 and winston's showing no improvement in his infection...although his stools continue to get worse...should i just stop the meds? why isnt it working?

2-yesterday night when i was trying to force the pills in his mouth(500 mg each) he chewed a capsule up and spit it out, and some of the powder blew in my nose, and maybe a lil in my mouth.so i prolly injested 300-500 mg of the powder.i have a cough today not sure if i should be worried

Thanks

1- Often times for conditions to clear up it takes WEEKS not days or hours, what are you feeding and how much if his stools are loose? mixing kibble and raw or kibble and fish and stuff is IMO a culprit, maybe do one or the other. Nobody knows why it's not working, maybe the food you're using isn't working well with his system, have you tried a new food with a different main protein?

2- Cephalexin is a cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as pneumonia and bone, ear, skin, and urinary tract infections.
    Cephalexin may cause side effects.
    Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
    upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, mild skin rash

If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
    severe skin rash, itching, hives, difficulty breathing or swallowing, wheezing, unusual bleeding or bruising, sore throat, painful mouth or throat sores, vaginal infection

You could die!!
    Photobucket

David~Furmommy in every sense of the word...Raw fed and loving it!!! 3/11/11
    "A Tired Bull Terrier is a Happy Bull Terrier owner"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

1. These are questions for the vet. Meds could be causing soft stools or it could be that new food you are feeding.

2. No, you will survive.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Thanks

When you switched Winston over to the new food, did you do any kind of transition? Are you overfeeding? I know you said before that he is hardly eating, but how much IS he eating? Your perception may be off.

You'll be fine. I'm not sure that there are many (if any) drugs that would be safe for a dog, but lethal to a human in such a small quantity.
    Richelle

Ania - German Shepherd Dog
    Prey Model Raw since September 2009

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    1- Often times for conditions to clear up it takes WEEKS not days or hours, what are you feeding and how much if his stools are loose? mixing kibble and raw or kibble and fish and stuff is IMO a culprit, maybe do one or the other. Nobody knows why it's not working, maybe the food you're using isn't working well with his system, have you tried a new food with a different main protein?

2- Cephalexin is a cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as pneumonia and bone, ear, skin, and urinary tract infections.
    Cephalexin may cause side effects.
    Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
    upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, mild skin rash

If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
    severe skin rash, itching, hives, difficulty breathing or swallowing, wheezing, unusual bleeding or bruising, sore throat, painful mouth or throat sores, vaginal infection

You could die!!
    are u being sarcastic?

if so i dont appreciate it

Banned
    Thanks

i know that cephalexin is used for humans, ust not sure if it's the same cephalexin that vets use for dogs???? and im concerned?
    id, i usually put 3 cups of food in his bowl at the beggining of the day, and hope he eats 1 cup of it atleast...he usually doesnt and il lfeed him sardines
    Quote Originally Posted by Ania's Mommy View Post
    When you switched Winston over to the new food, did you do any kind of transition? Are you overfeeding? I know you said before that he is hardly eating, but how much IS he eating? Your perception may be off.

You'll be fine. I'm not sure that there are many (if any) drugs that would be safe for a dog, but lethal to a human in such a small quantity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RCTRIPLEFRESH5 View Post
    i know that cephalexin is used for humans, ust not sure if it's the same cephalexin that vets use for dogs???? and im concerned?
    id, i usually put 3 cups of food in his bowl at the beggining of the day, and hope he eats 1 cup of it atleast...he usually doesnt and il lfeed him sardines
    So he won't eat his food and you instead bribe him with sardines? maybe you're overfeeding sardines and not his normal food. I'm sure my dog would have loose stools if i fed him canned fish every day without much of anything else.

pretty much the same stuff. Same name.

Cephalexin: MedlinePlus Drug Information HUMAN
    Cephalexin (Keflex®) - Page 1 ANIMAL
    Simple google search ^^^

I was being sarcastic, If i was concerned about something i ingested as a human, a clinic would be the first place i contacted.
    Photobucket

David~Furmommy in every sense of the word...Raw fed and loving it!!! 3/11/11
    "A Tired Bull Terrier is a Happy Bull Terrier owner"

Thanks

It is very likely that the drug Winston is taking is the exact same thing as what they would give to humans. Don't worry about it. It's not worth the energy.

ANd it might be a good idea to quit the fish for a bit. One reason is that it could be contributing to his loose stools. You switched Winston from a crap food to a good one + fish + probiotics almost immediately. For a lot of dogs, this would cause problems (while I agree with your decision that you switch Winston off the crap food cold turkey, you WERE warned that it could result in loose stools).

The other reason to lay off the fish is that it seems Winston has got you trained. He know's you'll feed him fish. So why on earth would he eat kibble when he knows that real food is in his future? I'd hold out too! You may need to practice some tough love in order to get him to eat more kibble. OR... You could just switch to full raw and I can guarantee you that Winston will eat with gusto again.

I remember you saying that you were told that Winston should gain some weight. Keep in mind that America is used to seeing overweight dogs. Fattys have become the norm, so when most people see an in-shape, well-toned dog, they think it's emaciated. We get comments about Ania being too skinny all the time. But I assure you, she is not. If we weren't feeding her enough, there's no way she could do the strenuous endurance work that she does.

I know Winston is pretty hairy, so it will be tougher for you to gauge his condition. But feel his body. You should be able to feel his ribs. You should see his tummy tuck right after his ribcage. The skin there should be firm and taut. His hip bones (on either side of his tail) should not be visible.

I mention that because it might be possible that he is maintaining his condition and doesn't need as much food as you give him. Has he lost weight?
    Last edited by Ania's Mommy; 08-27-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Liz likes this.
    Richelle

Ania - German Shepherd Dog
    Prey Model Raw since September 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RCTRIPLEFRESH5 View Post
    ok this is a two parter -
    10- today is day 4 and winston's showing no improvement in his infection...although his stools continue to get worse...should i just stop the meds? why isnt it working?

2-yesterday night when i was trying to force the pills in his mouth(500 mg each) he chewed a capsule up and spit it out, and some of the powder blew in my nose, and maybe a lil in my mouth.so i prolly injested 300-500 mg of the powder.i have a cough today not sure if i should be worried
    Are you pulling our leg? Is this a real post? I don't mean part 1, that of course I understand you are worried about your dog but are you serious about the 2nd part? I ask seriously because it seems like such an odd question to be asking.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

There is no physical way for you to have inhaled 300-500mg of cephalexin. You'd have to have snorted the whole capsule. And it is the exact same drug used for people...exact same. I wouldn't worry about it.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thread Information