Simply Nourish Dog Food - Page 3 Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Simply Nourish Dog Food

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xellil View Post
    you should never, ever pay attention to that stuff. It is perfectly legal for dog food companies to make outrageous claims on the packaging aren't even true. For example - carefully sourced. What does that mean? Sounds good? Ask them exactly what they mean by that. "complete and balanced" means nothing other than they've met the pathetic requirements of AAFCO.

    Dried sweet potato is the first ingredient, meaning there is more of that than anything else. Dogs don't need sweet potatoes. They need meat. It may not be grains, but is it really good to have a food that's got so much potato in it?

    Etc. etc.

    Many dog foods are poultry free. Lamb and rice, salmon, bison, the list is very long. It's not hard to get a dog food with no chicken in it.
    Thank you for your quick reply If you can, please list some of the brands you know of without poultry in their ingredients because I have found less than a handful. Some say "lamb" or "beef" or "salmon" but when I read the list of ingredients (the itty-bitty print), there it is. Always some kind of poultry or chicken ingredient. I have had a ruff (no pun intended, haha) time finding a dog food brand (even treats) without chicken or poultry in it. Here are the only ones I can find. I usually shop at PetSmart or one of the major pet stores and also have a local feed store that sometimes can order or get in certain brands for the asking.

    Nature's Recipe "Vegetarian" both in the dry & canned dog food. Most reasonably priced but least liked by my dog (& his breath stank)
    Blue Buffalo but only the canned "Backyard Barbecue" recipe @ $2.59/can (kind of steep!) didn't contain chicken or poultry.
    Simply Nourish but only the sweet potato/salmon recipe.
    And treats include: Blue Health Bars Baked with Fish & Sweet Potato.
    Pet Botanics Beef & Brown Rice or Bacon & Brown Rice Training Rewards
    Canyon Creek Ranch Homestyle HAM slices (like a jerky)
    Sergeant's PurLuvTreats but only the Fish Recipe Sticks
    Precision Pet Products Spinz chew toy
    Mrs. Beaster's Biskits, Canine Grain-Free Bison treats
    Denta Clean Puppamints
    and there were a couple other "treats" that didn't contain chicken or poultry products (not even egg or broth). So I guess my dog is all set when it comes to treats. The food, though, is hard to find.

    If you can check the ingredients on the brands you see and let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again! It's my first time here and this seems like a very helpful forum.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default poultry-free products and Simply Nourish

    Thank you for your quick reply. I thought the same thing about the "sweet potatoes" which seems to be the replacement for the grains & corn in many brands and recipes. I have found several brands that are poultry-free but the selection is few and far between. Most will say "beef," "lamb," "salmon," etc. but when you read the individual "List of Ingredients," there it is! There's always some form of poultry or chicken in the ingredients such as "poultry-by-products, chicken broth, eggs...and so on." If you can check the ingredient lists on the brands you see and let me know if you find any without poultry or chicken, I would appreciate it. I have access to the 2 major pet store chains as well as a couple local farm &/or feed stores which often carry different brands. The ones I have found include:

    Blue Buffalo but only the canned "Backyard BBQ" recipe.
    Nature's Recipe "Vegetarian" formula (both dry and canned)
    and now, the Simply Nourish but only the Sweet Potato & Salmon Recipe.

    Treats without chicken or poultry which I've found include:

    Mrs. Beaster's Biskits: Canine/Grain-Free Bison Dog Treats
    DentaClean Puppamints
    Blue Health Bars - Fish & Sweet Potato recipe only
    Pet Botanics - Bacon & and Beef & Brown Rice Mini Training Rewards
    Canyon Creek Ranch - Homestyle Ham slices (like a jerky)
    Sergeant's PurLuv Fish Recipe Sticks

    It's my first time here and this looks like a very helpful forum. Thanks again.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Scarlett_O''s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South King County, Wa, USA
    Posts
    3,434
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 358 Times in 312 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micd View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply. I thought the same thing about the "sweet potatoes" which seems to be the replacement for the grains & corn in many brands and recipes. I have found several brands that are poultry-free but the selection is few and far between. Most will say "beef," "lamb," "salmon," etc. but when you read the individual "List of Ingredients," there it is! There's always some form of poultry or chicken in the ingredients such as "poultry-by-products, chicken broth, eggs...and so on." If you can check the ingredient lists on the brands you see and let me know if you find any without poultry or chicken, I would appreciate it. I have access to the 2 major pet store chains as well as a couple local farm &/or feed stores which often carry different brands. The ones I have found include:

    Blue Buffalo but only the canned "Backyard BBQ" recipe.
    Nature's Recipe "Vegetarian" formula (both dry and canned)
    and now, the Simply Nourish but only the Sweet Potato & Salmon Recipe.

    Treats without chicken or poultry which I've found include:

    Mrs. Beaster's Biskits: Canine/Grain-Free Bison Dog Treats
    DentaClean Puppamints
    Blue Health Bars - Fish & Sweet Potato recipe only
    Pet Botanics - Bacon & and Beef & Brown Rice Mini Training Rewards
    Canyon Creek Ranch - Homestyle Ham slices (like a jerky)
    Sergeant's PurLuv Fish Recipe Sticks

    It's my first time here and this looks like a very helpful forum. Thanks again.
    Taste of the Wild has 2 different formulas that dont have any form of chicken in them, both Pacific Stream(their fish based one) and Sierra Mountain(their lamb based one,) Acana's Ranchlands and Pacifica(2 from their grain free line) are also both chicken/egg/poultry free, as are Canidae's pureSea and pureLand(2 from their grain free line.) I have 2 dogs(one who I once fed processed food to)who are HORRIDLY allergic to chicken....and there are MANY foods that are chicken free...and MANY of them are FAR better then that current food.
    ^IMO/IME
    Im Abi
    Pups: Rhett and Caoimhe("Keeva"), '11 Border Collies, Leo, '07 Border Collie, Brody, '10 Pug/x and Miss Dixi, '08 Mini Dachshund.
    Kitties: Ladi Ducki, 1 year old Turkish Van Cat, Princes Pidgin, 2 year old Snowshoe/Calico cat.
    All raw fed and LOVING it, because no living being is made to live off of processed foods.

    PMRaw~~“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    8,023
    Thanks
    681
    Thanked 754 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micd View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply. I thought the same thing about the "sweet potatoes" which seems to be the replacement for the grains & corn in many brands and recipes. I have found several brands that are poultry-free but the selection is few and far between. Most will say "beef," "lamb," "salmon," etc. but when you read the individual "List of Ingredients," there it is! There's always some form of poultry or chicken in the ingredients such as "poultry-by-products, chicken broth, eggs...and so on." If you can check the ingredient lists on the brands you see and let me know if you find any without poultry or chicken, I would appreciate it. I have access to the 2 major pet store chains as well as a couple local farm &/or feed stores which often carry different brands. The ones I have found include:

    Blue Buffalo but only the canned "Backyard BBQ" recipe.
    Nature's Recipe "Vegetarian" formula (both dry and canned)
    and now, the Simply Nourish but only the Sweet Potato & Salmon Recipe.

    Treats without chicken or poultry which I've found include:

    Mrs. Beaster's Biskits: Canine/Grain-Free Bison Dog Treats
    DentaClean Puppamints
    Blue Health Bars - Fish & Sweet Potato recipe only
    Pet Botanics - Bacon & and Beef & Brown Rice Mini Training Rewards
    Canyon Creek Ranch - Homestyle Ham slices (like a jerky)
    Sergeant's PurLuv Fish Recipe Sticks
    s i
    It's my first time here and this looks like a very helpful forum. Thanks again.
    You are right and I am wrong - when you include eggs (which yes is a poultry product!) i bet it is hard to find.

    And in fact, the last dry food I fed Rebel before we went on raw food was making his ears horribly infected, and it was some kind of non-chicken thing. But when you looked way down on the list, it was there. And i didn't notice it for a long time. he is allergic to processed chicken.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I've been feeding Simply Nourish Puppy since it was recommended to me by a Petsmart employee shortly after the arrival of our precious who is now 5 months. Yes, what exactly does carefully sourced mean? I can find no explanation anywhere exactly what the source of this carefully sourced product is. Also, ingredient #2 is chicken meal. I have processed many chickens, and can only surmise that "meal" is ground up trimmings, skin, feathers, feet, lymph nodes, lungs, gall bladders and anything else people wont pay for. I don't judge this inherently as dogs would eat these things along with the rest of the bird if they were to kill and eat it on their own. However ingredient #2 is pretty high on the list for unmentionables. Not especially cheap at $25 for 15 lbs. I started feeding this because I thought it was a high quality food, and it seems to be doing ok, digestive, allergy, and coat all are fine. I was hoping for better than OK. Please community, do tell, if not Simply Nourish, then what? It seems to be at the top end of what's at the pet store. What is a truly good food to feed? And no, I will not become personal chef to my dog, so dry will have to do.

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I too found bugs and trash throughout an entire bag of Simply Nourish when I transferred it to a food container the same day I purchased it. This was only the second bag of Simply Nourish I have ever bought. Now I need to find a new food to change to.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Huginn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Eastern, Wa
    Posts
    450
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts

    Default

    Just out of curiosity have you guys reported it when you found bugs in the food? Since my job is always trying to get me to push this food, and I really don't want to, I am really curious how often this has happened and if it has been reported to the company. I'm also curious if this is something at the manufacturers level or the store level, I know occasionally our wild bird food will get bugs in it if there is a hole in the bag, but I check my department for holes in bags every night when I face and we have the Orkin guy in every week to replace our mite deterrents and check the mouse traps. In any case, I am wondering where the quality control is lacking.
    [Never forget what you are, the world will not, wear it like armor]

  8. #28
    Senior Member lovemydogsalways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    955
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 43 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D. Roddington View Post
    I've been feeding Simply Nourish Puppy since it was recommended to me by a Petsmart employee shortly after the arrival of our precious who is now 5 months. Yes, what exactly does carefully sourced mean? I can find no explanation anywhere exactly what the source of this carefully sourced product is. Also, ingredient #2 is chicken meal. I have processed many chickens, and can only surmise that "meal" is ground up trimmings, skin, feathers, feet, lymph nodes, lungs, gall bladders and anything else people wont pay for. I don't judge this inherently as dogs would eat these things along with the rest of the bird if they were to kill and eat it on their own. However ingredient #2 is pretty high on the list for unmentionables. Not especially cheap at $25 for 15 lbs. I started feeding this because I thought it was a high quality food, and it seems to be doing ok, digestive, allergy, and coat all are fine. I was hoping for better than OK. Please community, do tell, if not Simply Nourish, then what? It seems to be at the top end of what's at the pet store. What is a truly good food to feed? And no, I will not become personal chef to my dog, so dry will have to do.
    From Petsmart I see Castor and Pollux and Innova, Wellness CORE. Those are choices I would feed if I could only buy at Petsmart.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemydogsalways View Post
    From Petsmart I see Castor and Pollux and Innova, Wellness CORE. Those are choices I would feed if I could only buy at Petsmart.
    All of these have chicken meal listed prominently amongst the ingredients, which make them relatively equivalent to Simply Nourish in my book. According to Wikipedia, chicken meal does not contain organs or entrails, though it does contain sick, dead, and dying chickens which then have the bacteria and pathogens boiled away. It has an extremely high protein content which I'm sure is why it's in every kind of puppy food I can find. My deceased German Shepherd was practically immune to antibiotics by the end of his life, which I attribute to his lifelong consumption of industrially raised poultry products in his food. This became evident when he was 10, and had an infection on his lip which took 4 cephalexin per day for over 100 days to finally cure. Hoping not to repeat this. Maybe I WILL have to become my dog's personal chef...

  10. #30
    Senior Member Unosmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,262
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 634 Times in 458 Posts

    Default

    Chicken meal is basically bone with meat attached, it doesent contain any entrails or organs, it shouldnt contain any diseased parts, but this may vary based on a company. Most reputable companies use some form of meat meal, as long as its named meal like chicken, lamb, salmon meal, etc and not generic like meat and bone meal, its perfectly fine to feed.
    Last edited by Unosmom; 03-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts