Simply Nourish Dog Food - Page 2 Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Simply Nourish Dog Food

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unosmom View Post
    INGREDIENTS:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Brown Rice Flour, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Carrots, Dried Spinach, Dried Sweet Potato, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Blueberries, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-ascorbyl-polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride.

Not bad, it just looks like a million of other grain inclusive brands out there, nothing particularly special about it, but I'm glad petsmart is expanding their natural line, so hopefully more people will be inclined to switch from pedigree or some other crud.
    the real question is how much does it cost? it seems to be on the nutro/4 health level.
    a lot of foods of this quality are priced high enough where you can find the same quality for lower, or better quality for the same price.
    not the best food around, but better than a good majority of other options.
    put it this way....a dog food enthusiast would never feed this to their dog, but someone who wants something that is the best of the best in the grocery store would do well to give this.

Thanks

I recently switched my three Beagles to this food. They previously ate Nature's Recipe. I have noticed that their coats are softer and the kibble is smaller than their previous food. I searched around for a food for awhile before settling on this one. So far my dogs love it.

Thanks

FYI: Their canned food is made in Thailand. Not sure about their dry food.

Thanks

I'm taking back my support for this food. This morning I found weevels in their food. I had just purchased it a couple of days ago and was transferring it to a food container.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tish View Post
    I'm taking back my support for this food. This morning I found weevels in their food. I had just purchased it a couple of days ago and was transferring it to a food container.
    Poor quality control. Sounds just like another run of the mill (literally) food designed to make as much money as possible with little to no consideration for anything else. How much does this food cost?

"There's a right way, a wrong and the Norwegian way" -Sig Hansen, Northwestern
    "Somehow in the dog food world we buy into the nonsense" - Jon Bunderson, Skyline Racing, ID

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaViking View Post
    Poor quality control. Sounds just like another run of the mill (literally) food designed to make as much money as possible with little to no consideration for anything else. How much does this food cost?
    It was about $40-$45 for a 30 pound bag of food.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaViking View Post
    I just wanted to add that this is of course due to their company owner. PetsMart proudly boasts the ownership of this company. If anyone here works in the corporate level, I could lose my job, but! this is a PETSMART COMPANY PRODUCT, yes it is "decent" quality, of course better than beneful, similar in price. Great choice, authority and simply nourish are all PM products ;) that is why they are so cheap, they don't advertise and the company still makes bank.
    Scarlett_O' likes this.
    [Never forget what you are, the world will not, wear it like armor]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Huginn For This Useful Post:

Scarlett_O' (12-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Huginn View Post
    I just wanted to add that this is of course due to their company owner. PetsMart proudly boasts the ownership of this company. If anyone here works in the corporate level, I could lose my job, but! this is a PETSMART COMPANY PRODUCT, yes it is "decent" quality, of course better than beneful, similar in price. Great choice, authority and simply nourish are all PM products ;) that is why they are so cheap, they don't advertise and the company still makes bank.
    All things considered I don't think this is so cheap, and certainly not good value. In this price range there are many way better options. You can get Fromm Gold for the same price. In Canada you can get Nutreco Lifetime 33lbs for $33. When these companies makes money it tells me that this PS food is way overpriced.

lol, hope you don't get fired

"There's a right way, a wrong and the Norwegian way" -Sig Hansen, Northwestern
    "Somehow in the dog food world we buy into the nonsense" - Jon Bunderson, Skyline Racing, ID

Thanks

Default Simply Nourish question

Does anybody know if "Simply Nourish" brand is manufactured in the USA? The package doesn't state this information and doesn't list a website either (only has a number to call and address to write).

Secondly, I don't understand what comprises a "grain heavy" formula? I feed my dog Simply Nourish "Sweet Potato & Salmon Recipe" which doesn't sound grain heavy to me. Ingredients listed are: Dried Sweet Potato, Salmon Meal, Salmon, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Caola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Carrots, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, erric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium iodate, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-ascorbl-polyphosphate, Niaci, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride. Calorie content is 3,480 kcal/kg (calculated).

The front package states the the Sweet Potato & Salmon Recipe is a "Limited Ingredient Diet" line of Simply Nourish (dry) Dog Food. It states: "Carefully sourced complete & balanced limited ingredients for dogs with unique dietary needs." And that, it is!

This is an excellent product for dogs who are sensitive or allergic to poultry or chicken. It is poultry-free (according to the labeled ingredients) and one of the few that are.

PS Cost is rather pricey. I paid $26.99 for an 11 lb. bag.
    Last edited by Micd; 02-11-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added cost

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micd View Post

The front package states the the Sweet Potato & Salmon Recipe is a "Limited Ingredient Diet" line of Simply Nourish (dry) Dog Food. It states: "Carefully sourced complete & balanced limited ingredients for dogs with unique dietary needs." And that, it is!
    you should never, ever pay attention to that stuff. It is perfectly legal for dog food companies to make outrageous claims on the packaging aren't even true. For example - carefully sourced. What does that mean? Sounds good? Ask them exactly what they mean by that. "complete and balanced" means nothing other than they've met the pathetic requirements of AAFCO.

Dried sweet potato is the first ingredient, meaning there is more of that than anything else. Dogs don't need sweet potatoes. They need meat. It may not be grains, but is it really good to have a food that's got so much potato in it?

Etc. etc.

Many dog foods are poultry free. Lamb and rice, salmon, bison, the list is very long. It's not hard to get a dog food with no chicken in it.
    Liz and Scarlett_O' like this.

Thread Information