Orijen and recalls Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Orijen and recalls

Thanks

Default Orijen and recalls

I have no idea how we go around thinking Champion has never had a recall. On youtube someone mentioned these recalls...

1st recall 2003 - manufacturing petfood from a cow who was infected with BSE, ‘Mad Cow Disease’. Nibbles and bits of cats, dogs, and sick cows

2nd recall 2008 - large bone shards from salmon were found in Orijen dry pet food. Orijen Concern - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

3rd recall 2008 - Irradiating pet food which killed over 30 cat & affected over 100 & blamed gov despite signing the documents to irradiate. We did go over this, even though it was put to bed too easily. Blaming the Government, when Champion signed off on irradiating the foods.

4th recall 2011- SALMONELLA- affecting Acana Grasslands; Dog Food with Free-range; Lamb; Wild caught Fish - Walleye; Free run Duck and Whole Eggs. www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_217dot html Import Refusal Report

I guess salmonella isn't a big deal since dogs can handle that.

Thanks

That's pretty sad....

I guess it just goes to show you that no food is 100%. It always seems everyone, including myself, was all Champion-this, champion-that, but I am starting to jump off the bandwagon.

Brit & Jackson

Thanks

I don't think those were actually recalls. Except for the 4th one!
    wags likes this.

Cayenne born 8/9/2007

Leo born 8/9/2007 rescued 7/2008

McKenzie born 8/9/2007 rescued 2/2010 re-homed 9/28/2011

Raw fed since 11/2008

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PUNKem733 View Post
    1st recall 2003 - manufacturing petfood from a cow who was infected with BSE, ‘Mad Cow Disease’. Nibbles and bits of cats, dogs, and sick cows
    The cow in question was a cow that was rendered. According to the article you linked, "Champion used the rendered material in a dry dog food product it manufacturers for a U.S. distributor, Pet Pantry International, of Carson City, Nev. Champion also used the material in four of its own dog kibble products sold mainly in western Canada under the brand names Yukon Gold 30/20 Mushers Mix, Champs Choice Deluxe, Masterfeeds Sportsman and Brown Bag Dog Food."

Also according to the article, "Very few of Champion's premium brands, which are sold in Canada under the name Acana, would even contain rendered beef as an ingredient, said Peter Muhlenfeld, the company's spokesman. Since the BSE scare in Alberta, Champion has moved to eliminate rendered beef from all of its products, including the lower-priced product sold through grocery stores, he said."

This was one cow that got in. And contrary to what many people believe, I'm very willing to bet that a "mad" cow has gotten into the human food supply chain on more than one occasion with the general public none the wiser. From what I understand, it can take many many years to become symptomatic for MCD. So how would you know?

I'm not making excuses for this. I think my point is that the cow that was mad was not even used in Orijen or Acana, which are really the only Champion foods recommended here.

2nd recall 2008 - large bone shards from salmon were found in Orijen dry pet food. Orijen Concern - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
    Eh. Not a big deal, in my opinion. In fact, I kinda like that there is proof of real fishes being used.

The bone shards were perfectly fine to feed. Mainly because they are from a fish and fish bones are the softest of all the bones. But also because DOGS WERE MEANT TO EAT BONES. I voluntarily feed Ania bones *gasp* 3 - 4 times per week!

3rd recall 2008 - Irradiating pet food which killed over 30 cat & affected over 100 & blamed gov despite signing the documents to irradiate. We did go over this, even though it was put to bed too easily. Blaming the Government, when Champion signed off on irradiating the foods.
    I believe that irradiating stuff that is being imported is a common practice. I truly don't think that Champion did so with the idea that animals could become sick or die as a result. I mean, if you really think about it from a business perspective, why would Champion want to kill some of it's customers and alienate others?

The important thing here is that Champion acted quickly once they learned of the sick/dying pets and pulled their product from Australia shelves. And they no longer export food to Australia because the only way they can do so is by irradiating. So they loose the market because they won't compromise.

4th recall 2011- SALMONELLA- affecting Acana Grasslands; Dog Food with Free-range; Lamb; Wild caught Fish - Walleye; Free run Duck and Whole Eggs. www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_217dot html Import Refusal Report
    Again, this isn't something that worries me in the least. Healthy dogs are perfectly able to eat food containing salmonella without catching salmonella.

I still think that Champion is the best dog food company around. The issues listed above are minor, in my opinion. And Champion quickly resolved each one of them, which should count for something.
    Richelle

Ania - German Shepherd Dog
    Prey Model Raw since September 2009

Thanks

Good post Richelle, (hmmm, its not true what they say about you!)
    wags likes this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MollyWoppy For This Useful Post:

Ania's Mommy (06-10-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MollyWoppy View Post
    Good post Richelle, (hmmm, its not true what they say about you!)
    Who's "they"? Me and "them" got some talkin' to do!
    Richelle

Ania - German Shepherd Dog
    Prey Model Raw since September 2009

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ania's Mommy View Post
    make sure you meet THEM with those two margaritas you've been slinging. :)
    Ania's Mommy and MollyWoppy like this.

Thanks

Oh you know, re and that.....I stuck up for you. Honestly, I did!
    wags, Ania's Mommy and magicre like this.

Thanks

Hee hee, pulling your, er, leg!! Just my warped sense of humour!!

But, I do agree whole heartily with your post. I don't think there's a better kibble out there than Orijen and even though its obviously had a few teething problems over the years, they really do seem to be on top of the problems and willing to learn from their mistakes.
    wags and Ania's Mommy like this.

Banned
    Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by PUNKem733 View Post
    I have no idea how we go around thinking Champion has never had a recall. On youtube someone mentioned these recalls...

I guess salmonella isn't a big deal since dogs can handle that.
    *rolls eyes humming i told you so*

Thread Information