A high quality/protein but low fat food... Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default A high quality/protein but low fat food...

I am having a problem finding a high quality low fat dry food for my 5 year old who has a tendency towards pancreatitis. Many have grains listed as the first 5 ingredients with very low protein levels.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kayharley View Post
    I am having a problem finding a high quality low fat dry food for my 5 year old who has a tendency towards pancreatitis. Many have grains listed as the first 5 ingredients with very low protein levels.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.
    You could try Wellness Core Reduced Fat. Protein is 33% and fat is 9% whereas the original formula is 39% protein and 14% fat. It's also a grain free food.

Thanks

if you go on dogfoodanaylsis.com and read the reviews for the 6 star foods most of them will fit your description....the foods are more expensive but well worth it. give the dog food anaylsis website a look and see which food is best for your dogs needs.

i have had a lot of luck with innova evo and blue buffalo wilderness personally.
    TEAM PEANUT
    Peanut SPD-B JD, JD-B, SRD
    PB 16'7"

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Thanks

I will be interested to see others suggestions. I am looking for the same type food. Good digestible meat protein and a low fat dry food.

I revisited the dog food analysis site. Most were in the 40's % protein and 15% to 22% fat. The Wellness Core was, as mentioned, 33% protein and 9% fat.

Have you found a food to use? Will be interested to know what you decide. My sheltie has a similar problem with pancreatitis and cushing's.

Thanks

Yeah, Innova Evo Reduced Fat has 52% protein and 15% fat. Before Grain has 32% protein 15% fat. Orijen Senior has 42% protein and 14% fat and is one of the best foods on the market. Man, pickins are pretty slim out there for low fat grain free high quality foods, huh? I think those are your best options.
    An ounce of nutrition is worth a pound of vet bills.

Thanks

For the time being I will stay with the Canidae Platinum. It really is an excellent food although I am upset with the company and their new formula. The Wellness Core is an option although I am concerned with too much protein.
    Enough to make one dizzy.......

Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought with pancreatitis you're supposed to be more worried about keeping lower fat levels but high quality protein levels?
    An ounce of nutrition is worth a pound of vet bills.

Thanks

Yes, a low fat diet is needed but too much protein can cause kidney problems....protein levels in the 20's and fat under 11% would make me smile!
    Thanks for all the input.

Thanks

It's not the quantity of the proteins that cause kidney issues, it's the quality of the proteins. If you feed high amounts of Animal Based Proteins it's what the dog is meant to eat which is easier on the kidneys. If you feed a dog high amounts of Plant Based Proteins then it's not what the dog is meant to process and it's harder on the kidneys, that's where we start to see the kidneys get worn out early and become diseased.
    High protein foods will not cause kidney failure if the protein is from high quality meats and not plants.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

Yes to what MandyPug says. However it should be noted that most of the kibbles contain a large percentage of plant based protein.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Thread Information