do you elevate your dog's food bowl? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Default do you elevate your dog's food bowl?

i always was under the impression that doing so would protect from neck pain, and bloating for large breed dogs. i have neglected to do so until now(found some old textbooks and raised shanes bowls by two thick texts each!

now im reading online, and apparently it increases bloating.

man this is a real messed up world we live in....cigarettes cause cancer one day, and prevent it the next

masturbation is bad fr your prostate health one day, then the next day it is bad for the prostate.

elevated dish is to prevent bloat one day...NOW ITS CAUSING it? just wondering if you think i should leave them elevated.

just goes to show you, that we ca;t be stubborn in our thinking. We may be wrong all along about dogs liking meat =p.

can just imagine bill in 10 years talking about how dogs are herbivores ;)
    Last edited by RCTRIPLEFRESH5; 12-22-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks

I have two standard poodles - a breed at risk for bloat. One of them (Henry) already had bloat/torsion in March. We are lucky to still have him! Anyway, I spoke to my vet about this after Henry bloated. He explained that the Purdue study (the one that claims raising bowls increases the risk of bloat) is flawed in many ways and its difficult to draw any real conclusions about the risk of bloat and raising food dishes from it. For example, they only studied large breed dogs whose owners already raised dishes. Thus, the results are skewed. IMO, it probably simply doesn't matter. If anything, maybe it prevents bloat. I highly doubt it increases the risk of bloat, though.

LabbieMama

Yes, I do use elevated food bowls. Just for the reason that it keeps my large dogs comfortable. I have a tall 85 pound male Golden that has to bend really low, and spread his front paws, to reach a food bowl on the floor. So by elevating the bowl I think it makes him more comfortable at chow time. Whether or not it actually either causes or prevents bloat, I dunno.

Thanks

I use one also because my gsd is so tall, he always looked so uncomfortable bending his neck to the floor. I think bloat is probably like sids/babies, no one will ever know the exact causes.

Thanks

I too use elevated dishes. I actually cut the bottom of a large plastic tub waaay back in 1990 for my Rottie. I did this for the pure and simple reason of comfort for hi. Why would eating all crouched down be comfortable? Anyway, since then, I have found an "actual" food stand, and have continued to use it. Just like anything, you can find an argument for either side. I think that being aware of the activity level after a dog eats is more so the key. Kinda like what your mom use to say about swimming after you ate.
    I also know that after every meal, I hear 1 Ginormous burp from Khan, and Shelby gives one up that's pretty impressive for her size! You know what they say..."Better out than in!"
    As for to elevate or not to elevate...I think it's a matter of whatever makes the dog more comfortable. JMO.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Khan For This Useful Post:

BrownieM (12-22-2010)

Senior Member Katie Chumlee and Shorty's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes even though the Bulldog is short his bowls are elevated.

Thanks

I do not elevate my bowl. It's on the floor.

Thanks

Not really. I have a feeder with 2 bowls in it it's "raised" but only like 6 inches off the floor. It's more to look nice and hold the bowls in their place so they don't get moved around the floor. The water bowl is just on the floor. My Boxers and my GSD have all done fine.

I think with raising bowls it may make it easier for them to eat faster which has been linked to bloat hence the association with the raised bowls, but that's just a theory on my part.
    ~Meghan~

Tyson, 3 year old white Boxer, severe food allergies and moderate environmental allergies
    Thor, 2 year old German Shepherd
    Raven and Tiger, 10 year old DSH kitties

Thanks

No, I have a 20 pound dog. His head is less than a foot off the ground.

Thanks

Leave them elevated for comfort, SURE

Elevate them for bloat prevention, Nah....

Evidence leads towards stress as being a contributing factor for bloat, not the location of their food bowl

If anyone here is seriously concerned about bloat they should look into a Gastropexy for prevention and not worry themselves with extraneous BS like raised feeders, limiting exercise, etc...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jdatwood For This Useful Post:

DaneMama (12-22-2010)

Thread Information