food for lab/boxer mix Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default food for lab/boxer mix

we have a lab/boxer mix named samantha she is about 63 pounds and she is a year and a half.

we have her on nutro lamb and rice

but we wanna make sure we are giving her exactly what she needs

what food would you think is best for her?

preferably something that brings out her coat

thanks in advance

Thanks

We aren't big fans of Nutro here, it's very grain-heavy with questionable quality protein sources. It works well for some dogs, but many of us know dogs that have "coincidentally" gotten sick on the food even after the slow transition switch. To me, it isn't worth the risk anymore.
    What kind stores for buying dog food do you have in your area?

As far as good brands PetCo has:
    Wellness
    Solid Gold
    Natural Balance
    Blue Buffalo

PetsMart has:
    Blue Buffalo

If you have a specialty dog food store or two in your area, almost anything you can get from them is good, but just in case they aren't the best:
    Orijen
    Innova [Evo]
    California Natural

Also, check out dogfoodanalysis.com to help you make a decision.
    An ounce of nutrition is worth a pound of vet bills.

Thanks

thanks alot for replying

so... as far as you know has the only problem with nutro been that some dogs stomachs get upset by it?

just mainly want to make sure there are no harmful chemicals that could catch up to samantha if she stayed on it

Thanks

I feed both of my Boxers Natural Balance Lamb Meal and Brown Rice and have had good luck with it on the gas issue. It's gluten free which is a must as my dog is allergic to gluten and it has wholesome ingredients. I get it at PetCo and to feed both of them (both are 65 pounds) it costs me around $50 a month, but PetCo has a deal that you buy 10 bags and get 1 free so that's a nice perk. I also give vitamin E and fish oil daily for health reasons and coat reasons.

Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oVer.do$e View Post
    thanks alot for replying

so... as far as you know has the only problem with nutro been that some dogs stomachs get upset by it?

just mainly want to make sure there are no harmful chemicals that could catch up to samantha if she stayed on it
    Many people believe it's been responsible for their dogs being seriously ill (ie organ problems) and/or dying. It's really a low quality food especially for the money, it has beet pulp in it which is a bit of a controversial ingredient right now. If it were me I would switch to something of better quality that either is the same price or not much more.

Thanks

thanks alot yall

very important info

im going to look into these foods

Thanks

Another food that I have used in the past and had great luck with and is very inexpensive is Kirkland Lamb and rice. My dogs coats where so shiney and their stool was very solid and smaller than on many more expensive brands I have tried after. I feed mostly Solid Gold now and mix in Merrick or Wellness canned, but every few months throw in a few bags of Kirkland. The dogs love it and so does my budget! Kirkland also has canned and Chicken kibble but noticed best results on Lamb and rice for coat!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerMommie View Post
    I feed both of my Boxers Natural Balance Lamb Meal and Brown Rice and have had good luck with it on the gas issue. It's gluten free which is a must as my dog is allergic to gluten and it has wholesome ingredients. I get it at PetCo and to feed both of them (both are 65 pounds) it costs me around $50 a month, but PetCo has a deal that you buy 10 bags and get 1 free so that's a nice perk. I also give vitamin E and fish oil daily for health reasons and coat reasons.

Good luck.
    oh i meant to ask you

only 50 a month for 2 boxers!!

either thats great pricing or my dog food gauge is wayyy off

how old are they and how much do you feed them a day?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oVer.do$e View Post
    oh i meant to ask you

only 50 a month for 2 boxers!!

either thats great pricing or my dog food gauge is wayyy off

how old are they and how much do you feed them a day?
    Well Natural Balance that I get is $38.99 per 28 pound bag and that lasts me EXACTLY 3 weeks, so it may be more like $53-$55 a month for the 2 of them.

My female is 65 pounds and gets 2 cups per day and is 6 1/2 years old (approx she's a rescue so not 100% sure on that, but it's a good ball park), my male is probably about the same weight 65 pounds (he's going to the vet tomorrow I'll update this if I'm wrong) will be 15 months old in a couple of days and eats 2 3/4 cups per day. Both are at healthy weights for them.

She eats around 950 calories per day and he eats around 1,300 calories per day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerMommie View Post
    Well Natural Balance that I get is $38.99 per 28 pound bag and that lasts me EXACTLY 3 weeks, so it may be more like $53-$55 a month for the 2 of them.

My female is 65 pounds and gets 2 cups per day and is 6 1/2 years old (approx she's a rescue so not 100% sure on that, but it's a good ball park), my male is probably about the same weight 65 pounds (he's going to the vet tomorrow I'll update this if I'm wrong) will be 15 months old in a couple of days and eats 2 3/4 cups per day. Both are at healthy weights for them.

She eats around 950 calories per day and he eats around 1,300 calories per day.
    i am by no means telling you how to feed your dog

just out of pure curiosity

for dogs that big doesnt the natural balance chart say 1 dog that size should get 4 cups a day?

if i get this food should i feed by 63lb boxer/lab only 2 cups a day?

Thread Information