What is Montmorillonite Clay and why is it in dog food? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default What is Montmorillonite Clay and why is it in dog food?

I have seen this ingredient in several dog foods and just wondered what the heck it was. Thanks.

Thanks

From the Natures Variety website:

Montmorillonite is a clay that is primarily colloidal silicate, which contains over 50 ultra-trace mineral compounds. Feed studies by the Veterinary Medical Diagnostics Laboratory at Texas A&M University have shown that Montmorillonite clays can sequester (bind) aflatoxins contained in grains and oilseeds.

I've also read before that it has healing properties because it is very rich in nutrients.

I question it's absorbtion ability into the body, but i'm sure it's completely safe in the digestive system. In theory, a dog would consume and absorb the nutrients in the clay, and then the remainder of the used clay would be excreted.

Kinda of like sucking an orange slice and then tossing the used up portion in the trash.

The Pooches:
    Madie, Weimaraner, Born Oct 2, 2005
    Lucy, Weimaraner, Born Aug, 19, 2009

Thanks

I know many people that feed it to their horses, just clay, and they rave about it.

I'm curious if it has the same effects when cooked into dog food though...

Thanks

It's also used as a binding agent in diatomaceous earth. While diatomaceous earth deworms, Montmorillonite Clay will detoxify. Toxins such as heavy metals get attached to it, as it passes through the digestive system. If you get food grade, it's safe for animals and people. Farmers use it in there feed. It kills insects in the feed, as well as deworms and detoxifies. Plus it contains minerals. Good stuff

Banned
    Thanks

It is in a few foods not many. The health claims are dubious. It is in fact used in livestock feeds but mainly because it soaks up more water than anything else you can ingest. So it binds up manure and stools.

That is the only use of it that has been substantiated, the rest is just internet science.

Banned
    Thanks

I use DE to de worm and it works as I have seen results with my own eyes. Thats enough science for me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to k9capture_16 For This Useful Post:

cast71 (11-11-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saltydogs View Post
    It is in a few foods not many. The health claims are dubious. It is in fact used in livestock feeds but mainly because it soaks up more water than anything else you can ingest. So it binds up manure and stools.

That is the only use of it that has been substantiated, the rest is just internet science.
    Your posts provide the humor for my day.
    Thank you, for being so darn silly.
    --Linsey--
    RAW feeding my CARNIVORES since 2009

Thanks

Thanks everyone! Sounds like a good additive. Although when I heard "clay" it sounds enough like dirt to NOT be good. Thanks for clearing that up. Had no idea they used it in DE and livestock feed. Very interesting!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdb5853 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like a good additive. Although when I heard "clay" it sounds enough like dirt to NOT be good. Thanks for clearing that up. Had no idea they used it in DE and livestock feed. Very interesting!
    It is used in feeds because it controls diarrhea not because of any magical qualities. It is a stool hardener.

That is what it does.
    Last edited by saltydogs; 11-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks

I use DE to de worm and it works as I have seen results with my own eyes. Thats enough science for me
    Hope your using food grade K9

Thread Information