does a gluten free/potato free kibble exist? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default does a gluten free/potato free kibble exist?

Hi everyone! I'm new and am hoping the many minds here can help me solve my dog food dilemma. I've searched the forums and cannot seem to find an answer to my question.

I'm looking for a gluten free/white potato free kibble and have run myself ragged looking for something that I feel may not exist.

Here's my criteria:
    - No gluten
    - No white potatoes (sweet potatoes are ok)
    - 24%-26% protein (would possibly consider up to 28%)
    - 3 of the top 5 ingredients should be meat based (will settle for 2 if necessary)
    - No Diamond manufactured food

I'm not opposed to grains in moderation and I'm not worried about the protein type at this point. No known allergies or intolerances to protein.

If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate them very much!

Thanks!
    Mandi

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captnscooby View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new and am hoping the many minds here can help me solve my dog food dilemma. I've searched the forums and cannot seem to find an answer to my question.

I'm looking for a gluten free/white potato free kibble and have run myself ragged looking for something that I feel may not exist.

Here's my criteria:
    - No gluten
    - No white potatoes (sweet potatoes are ok)
    - 24%-26% protein (would possibly consider up to 28%)
    - 3 of the top 5 ingredients should be meat based (will settle for 2 if necessary)
    - No Diamond manufactured food

I'm not opposed to grains in moderation and I'm not worried about the protein type at this point. No known allergies or intolerances to protein.

If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate them very much!

Thanks!
    Mandi
    Yes, Wysong makes one but it is very very expensive. I would look for a food with just white rice if you have a specific issue. Millet perhaps too.

The only food I can think of with just white rice is Abady M&S but that too is expensive and hard to find but it is great stuff.

You could also look for a kibble with corn as the only grain because the protein portion of corn is the easiest of all the grain proteins to digest. That is fact.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saltydogs View Post
    Yes, Wysong makes one but it is very very expensive. I would look for a food with just white rice if you have a specific issue. Millet perhaps too and oats and corn as well.

The only food I can think of with just white rice is Abady M&S but that too is expensive and hard to find but it is great stuff.

You could also look for a kibble with corn as the only grain because the protein portion of corn is the easiest of all the grain proteins to digest. That is fact.
    Millet, corn, oats & rice are "gluten" free.

Thanks

Thanks

Ugh, I just types up a bunch of stuff and it got erased..

Anyways, you wont find too many options when it comes to grain free/potato free that are lower then 30% protein.

Dogswell recently came out with Nutrisca, their lamb version is 30% protein:
    www.heartypet.com - Dogswell Nutrisca Lamb and Chickpea Dry Dog Food

Theres also Annamaet grain free (30% as well)
    www.heartypet.com - Annamaet Grain Free Dog Food

and Great life Buffalo (29%)
    natural pet food, holistic dog food, organic dog food, premium dog food, healthy dog food, pet treats, dog treats, greenies, eagle pack, nutro dog food, primal dog food, raw dog food, premium dog kibble, freeze dried treats, canned dog food, puppy fo

You may also want to look into dehydrated foods like Honest Kitchen or Sojos, they are generally lower protein and some are made with sweet potatoes.

Thanks

You can also try Healthwise chicken, its gluten free:
    Healthy Pet Products – Natural Cat Food, Healthy Dog Food, Puppy Kibble – HealthWise Pet Food

Since rice is gluten free, I dont think you should have too hard of time finding foods with it that are lower protein.

http://www.avodermnatural.com/Dog_Foods/adult_cr.htm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saltydogs View Post
    Yes, Wysong makes one but it is very very expensive. I would look for a food with just white rice if you have a specific issue. Millet perhaps too.
    saltydogs - Thanks for the suggestion on Wysong. The Synorgon formula could be a good possibility. The price could become an issue, but I do combine The Honest Kitchen with my kibble, so it could help offset the price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cast71 View Post
    I was actually feeding that Acana formula before, but they changed it to use white potatoes and now I'm feeding a growing puppy too and don't feel comfortable with the higher protein levels. Acana is a great food though and I really wish I could still use it. I do appreciate the suggestions.

Most of these contain barley, so I can't use them. Healthwise could be an option. I tend to forget about that brand, although I'm not too keen on Natura selling out. If P&G leaves the food alone, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unosmom View Post
    Anyways, you wont find too many options when it comes to grain free/potato free that are lower then 30% protein.

Dogswell recently came out with Nutrisca, their lamb version is 30% protein:
    www.heartypet.com - Dogswell Nutrisca Lamb and Chickpea Dry Dog Food

Theres also Annamaet grain free (30% as well)
    www.heartypet.com - Annamaet Grain Free Dog Food

and Great life Buffalo (29%)
    natural pet food, holistic dog food, organic dog food, premium dog food, healthy dog food, pet treats, dog treats, greenies, eagle pack, nutro dog food, primal dog food, raw dog food, premium dog kibble, freeze dried treats, canned dog food, puppy fo

You may also want to look into dehydrated foods like Honest Kitchen or Sojos, they are generally lower protein and some are made with sweet potatoes.
    Thanks for these suggestions, although I'm not necessarily looking for a grain free food. No gluten or potatoes. I'm feeding a growing medium breed puppy, so that's my reason for wanting to keep the protein reasonable. If I was just looking for a food for my other 2, I'd be fine with the protein level.

I may just have to suck it up and start buying multiple brands of food.

I do use The Honest Kitchen to supplement my kibble and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Unosmom View Post
    You can also try Healthwise chicken, its gluten free:
    Healthy Pet Products – Natural Cat Food, Healthy Dog Food, Puppy Kibble – HealthWise Pet Food

Since rice is gluten free, I dont think you should have too hard of time finding foods with it that are lower protein.

AvoDerm Natural® Dog Food - Adult Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Formula
    I need to give Healthwise another look. I'm just cautious because of the buy out. My oldest 2 have eaten Avoderm before, but I won't use it for the puppy because of the protein level.

Again, thank you for the suggestions. I really appreciate all of the help!

Thread Information