Help me out on fish based dog food Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Help me out on fish based dog food

Hi guys,
    am planning to buy dry dog food with only fish as the meat product.
    Saw reviews for 6 star and 5 star foods on dogfoodanalysis.

Was planning to buy a 30lb bag and a 15 lb bag of different brands.
    shortlisted these:
    Canidae Grain-free Salmon Meal formula -5*
    Tase of the Wild Pet Foods TOTW Pacific Stream -5*
    orijen 6 fish -6*
    innova evo Herring and Salmon Dry Dog Food -6*
    wellness core ocean -6*

Now comes the real part
    Am importing this foods. For 30lb bag, orijen, wellness core cost me about 150$. evo for 170$. Canidae around 145$. TOTW for 100$.

as u can guess budget is an issue. Am going to buy these every 2 months. So have settled for TOTW pacific stream for 30lb bag and orijen 6 fish for 15lb bag.

So have i made a proper choice? Any suggestion on other brands of low grain , fish based dog food ?

Thanks

TOTW Pacific Stream is one of their two formulas (along with the Sierra) that has very low protein levels and calories per cup for a grainless food. my opinion is that it does not have much meat in it.

my experience has been that i will feed a fair amount less of the Canidae grain free Salmon (as it has around 100 calories more per cupthan TOTW) and i see that food a a better value. they state what % of the overall protein level comes from animal product. TOTW will not state this.

TOTW still may come out a bit cheaper, but not as much as the prices make it appear....and i think the canidae grain free is a step up in quality over the TOTW.

Thanks

Hi Nash_Try.

My name is Dennis and I work for a dog food producer, Freshpet. Came across this post while I was browsing.

My company has just recently launched a Grain-free line called Freshpet Vital - which is 80% meat based. One of them is purely fish based (ingredients below).

Just one caveat, this is a more premium line which as always is a bit pricey, so....might not meet your budget issue.

_____

*** Unauthorized advertising removed by Moderator - RFD ***
    Last edited by RawFedDogs; 11-01-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks

I can't speak to the other foods mentioned in your post, but I can say that I've had wonderful success with TOTW. I've noticed remarkable improvements after switching from one-star foods. Certainly, as Buddy mentioned, there are many foods available with higher protien levels out there, and I have not ruled out moving further up the line in the future. But for now, I am very happy with the TOTW. I rotate between all four TOTW varieties, and use the Pacific Stream every other time, as my lab seems to like that one best, although she jumps for joy at mealtime for all of them.

Thanks

Can you get Acana Pacifica(all fish based) little bit lower in protein (33%) and price, made by same company as Orijen.

Thanks

I vote for Acana pacifica as well, Totw is very low protein/calorie, so you may end up feeding your dogs more then you would of Orijen or Evo.

The reason I dont like Canidae is because the bulk of their protein comes from potato and not fish.

Thanks

Aside from the above mentioned, Great Life Wild Salmon Grain and Potato Free is excellent as well.
    -Sam Wu

-Kane
    -Male German Pinscher

Feed Fresh.

Photobucket

Thanks

+1 for Acana Pacifica

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unosmom View Post
    I vote for Acana pacifica as well, Totw is very low protein/calorie, so you may end up feeding your dogs more then you would of Orijen or Evo.

The reason I dont like Canidae is because the bulk of their protein comes from potato and not fish.
    i dont understand how you came to this conclusion. do you realize how much potato they would have to use to get to a 40% protein level? there is no way to know the ratios of the ingredients. just because there is only one meat source before two potatoe products doesnt mean it is potatoe heavy.....based on the protein % coming from fish, it is likely that first ingredient makes up a substantial portion of the food.

it is stated (on their site and the bags) that 80% of the protein comes from fish and 20% of the protein from fruits/vegetables. that is just as much of the protein coming from animal product as in EVO.

i would agree with others that id choose acana pacifica over canidae salmon. from purely a budgetary point of view, however, the canidae may still be the better buy.
    Last edited by buddy97; 11-01-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks

I feed my dog the Orijen 6 fish formula and it is excellent she loves it. I highly recommend it. I do understand it can be pricey though.

Thread Information