Good Mid-priced dog food? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Good Mid-priced dog food?

After researching what to feed my new lab pup, I noticed that most of the foods I have been considering (Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, 4Health, TOTW, Chicken Soup) are made by Diamond. They all look pretty good on paper, but given Diamnonds history, I'm not sure I trust them as a company. Are there any other reasonable alternatives not made by Diamond that are under $1.50 per pound?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,003 Posts

Unfortunately, most of the "decent on paper" foods that are reasonably priced are made by diamond. That's the lure of them: price.

You can look into Healthwise. It's not the absolute best food ever, but it's not made by Diamond, and it's not too bad.
    --Linsey--
    RAW feeding my CARNIVORES since 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryank View Post
    After researching what to feed my new lab pup, I noticed that most of the foods I have been considering (Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, 4Health, TOTW, Chicken Soup) are made by Diamond. They all look pretty good on paper, but given Diamnonds history, I'm not sure I trust them as a company. Are there any other reasonable alternatives not made by Diamond that are under $1.50 per pound?

Acana is $1.66/lb. and its grain free. (30 lbs for about 50 bucks)

For 16 cents above your threshold, you get one HELLUVA return on your investment over what you WOULD get otherwise.

Thanks

I feed The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw, in my opinion it's better than premium kibble and is very decently priced depending on the formula you buy. The formulas I feed the most often are Keen, Verve, and Force.

Pricing:
    Keen ($52/10lb box, makes 43 lbs food) = $1.21/lb
    Verve ($58/10lb box, makes 43 lbs food) = $1.35/lb
    Force ($77/10lb box, makes 43 lbs food) = $1.79/lb
    Last edited by Huskyluv; 07-26-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Adjusted price

Thanks
    Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,003 Posts

I just wanted to add:

If you're really on a tight budget, then I DO think you'd be better off going with a Diamond-made food than a grocery store food, despite everything. Sometimes, due to finances, we can't always give the absolute best of the best, and at least Diamond makes decent foods at a low cost. Sure,t hey have their issues, every company does, and they're not what I'd consider a "first pick" but they're better than junk like science diet and pedigree and other "affordable" foods. That's just my opinion, though.
    --Linsey--
    RAW feeding my CARNIVORES since 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CorgiPaws View Post
    I just wanted to add:

If you're really on a tight budget, then I DO think you'd be better off going with a Diamond-made food than a grocery store food, despite everything. Sometimes, due to finances, we can't always give the absolute best of the best, and at least Diamond makes decent foods at a low cost. Sure,t hey have their issues, every company does, and they're not what I'd consider a "first pick" but they're better than junk like science diet and pedigree and other "affordable" foods. That's just my opinion, though.
    definitely agree there.

My isssues w/ Diamond lie most w/ the company as a whole, the recalls they've had...the mess a few years ago...and the Ethoxyquin(though I hear they've addressed/fixed this).

Not my fav.

But without a doubt a better food than anything at a typical Grocery store, VET, or even Petco(many foods they carry).

For pete's sake, I saw Diamond Naturals at my local Menards for $24/40lb bag on sale this weekend. Just think how much of it you could buy for one bag of Eukanuba.

Thanks

We fed Diamond Naturals for a couple of years with really good results. For the price, it was the best for us at the time.
    LIFES GOOD!!!

Jenny

Thanks

what about fromm four star? lots of formulas to choose from, and not too expensive. they are a privately owned family company and use their own facility for production.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin bradley View Post
    Acana is $1.66/lb. and its grain free. (30 lbs for about 50 bucks)

For 16 cents above your threshold, you get one HELLUVA return on your investment over what you WOULD get otherwise.
    idk where u people buy acana....my store sells everything but ihavent seen acan..granted i havent looked,cause i will not feed a food thats 60 percent meat..and if idid go with chsampion id use orijen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RCTRIPLEFRESH5 View Post
    granted i havent looked,cause i will not feed a food thats 60 percent meat..and if idid go with chsampion id use orijen
    because you want more?......less? ill assume more since orijen has a higher content than acana.

Thread Information