Orijen vs. Acana: What is the true benefit to either? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Orijen vs. Acana: What is the true benefit to either?

Thanks

Default Orijen vs. Acana: What is the true benefit to either?

Just curious.

Jackson is a 16lb healthy active Yorkie or Silky Terrier [[I really don't know--tend to think he's Silky]]

Anyways. I know that higher protein causing kidney problems is a total myth but I also understand not all dogs do well on higher protein either. I know Yorkies are 36x more likely to get a liver shunt than all other breeds combined but I've always been a believer in grain free higher protein diets for dogs.

Jackson has been eating Acana Grasslands for maybe 3-4 months now and seems to be doing fine and well on it. I also bought a little 1lb bag of Go! Endurance (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=2293&cat=8) that he seemed to enjoy even better than Acana. How does this rate against Orijen?

He likes Grasslands WAY better than the Prairie (chicken based) flavor. When looking at Orijen Regional Red, the ingredients just seem ALOT better... with four out of five top ingredients being meat and ten total. Protein in RR is 38% while Acana is 33%. So it doesn't seem like THAT much of a leap. Crude fat in RR is min. of 18% while Acana is 17%. Fiber in RR is 3.0% and Acana is 3.5%. So the actual guaranteed analysis doesn't seem to differ a whole lot yet ingredients seem a whole lot better in Orijen RR?

Anyways, I'm just curious if there's a real benefit to eating Orijen over Acana? Or I guess it just differs from dog to dog?

Jackson is active, not Border Collie active (lol) but active. He gets walked M-F for 35 mins per day. He gets about 10-15 minutes of fetch with either frisbee or tennis ball almost every day. He goes swimming in big in-ground pool about 2-3x per week usually for about 20 minutes per 'session' (at my dads house). He goes to my dads house usually on average 2x per week where he runs and runs with dads 2 dogs all over the place. He gets to the dog park typically once a week (Saturdays) where he gets 2-3 hours there. He also goes to a local beach once every other week.

Is Orijen typically more appropriate for active dogs such as he? or should they be more active?

I dunno, just trying to gather more info on the whole protein thing.

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Jacksons Mom; 06-28-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Brit & Jackson

Thanks

Yhere is no real benefit between Orijen and Acana. There made by the same company...Acana is just lower in protein with the same quality as Orijen!
    I use to feed the Acana Grassland myself and the dogs actually liked it better and the stools were more consistent then when they were feed Orijen.
    Having the same quality and being a little cheaper had me sold!

Thanks

My german shepherd has been on Acana wild prairie for 6 weeks now, he likes it but had more energy when he was on Wellness lg brd adult, he was doing and looking better over all on wellness. He is moderately active, regular walks lots of playtime in yard, but I haven't really seen any big improvements with the grain free acana. I agree with stpfan, acana being made by same company but at a lower price is great. but I also wondered about the high protien levels and amount of activity your dog gets.

Thanks

this whole, "some dogs don't do well on high protein" is for the most part a bunch of garbage.

99% of people having issues with a food like Orijen or Acana are simply feeding too much of it.

I believe the primary difference between Orijen/Acana is meat content. Certainly for almost all dogs, more is better so I'd opt for Orijen if possible. I'm working through a batch of Acana at the moment but will likely step up to Orijen in the near future.

Best Dry food available. If Orijen is an A+....Acana is an A. Net/net...feed Orijen if you can. If you want to save a few bucks and opt for Acana, I sure as hell wouldn't lose any sleep over it. While you are fretting over this decision...some poor soul is feeding Diamond or Natura products
    ziggy29 likes this.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevin bradley For This Useful Post:

PUNKem733 (07-13-2010), RawFedDogs (06-29-2010), Serendipity (06-17-2011)

Thanks

Orijen is considered a little higher quality by most and is higher in meat protein, and to the extent that more meat is better, Orijen would be the better food. Having said that, Acana is still better than 98% of the kibble out there -- so if your dog loved Acana Grasslands more than just about any of the other high quality foods you've tried, I see no harm with "treating" him to this in his rotation from time to time.

Thanks

Thanks guys! :)

My local store actually carries the Regional Red, which I was happy about, as well as the sample bags. So I tried the sample last night, mixed it with some of the Grasslands and of course he left the Acana Grasslands in the bowl and only ate the Regional Red, ha! He always does that with new food though but stool was perfect. I'll see how it goes through this sample bag. I hope it does well with him because I do think Orijen is better. I probably will continue to rotate with Acana and Orijen (Grasslands and RR). I think that'd be a good rotation since both seem to be his fave kibble ever..... just wanted to update. :)

I wanted to add Go! Endurance into the rotation too since it seemed like such a great food and he loved the sample we got! But when I went into the store yesterday, it was sooo much more expensive? Why, I don't know. It was $8 for a 1lb bag of Go! Endurance... ONE pound. I got the .88lb bag of Orijen RR for like a tiny bit over $3. A 5.5lb bag of Acana Grasslands is $14 here. I think the Orijen RR is only a little over $1 more. So its worth it to me!

Brit & Jackson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin bradley View Post
    . While you are fretting over this decision...some poor soul is feeding Diamond or Natura products

Yep, my poor dog eats Evo and unless I see a change in the formula she will NOT go back to Orijen. My puppy is on Orijen Large Breed Puppy and I just ordered her last bag of it. By the time she is done with her current bag and the bag on the way she will be between 13 and 14 months old....at that time, I will move her on to Evo as well.

I've tried Orijen 6 Fish (3 different bags mfg at 3 different times) and they can't keep it down...ever :( I've also tried Orijen Adult which my adult looked less than steller on and certainly did not eat it with gusto. Having said that, both of my dogs have (and still do) eaten Orijen Large Breed Puppy which both of them eat right up and looked (and look) great on. If I were to take both of them back in the future to Orijen it would be the LBP formula....possibly I'd try the Red formula. Someone else on this forum had the same issues that I did with Orijen Adult in which they too liked LBP better. I know it doesn't make sense....it's the exact same formula, just the nutrient analysis is a smidge different. I don't get what the change is, but somebody else noticed the same thing I did, so I'm not crazy.

To answer your very first question....the difference between Orijen and Acana is the fresh meat content in Orijen. Honestly, I think that Acana Grasslands should carry the Orijen name.
    The Pooches:
    Madie, Weimaraner, Born Oct 2, 2005
    Lucy, Weimaraner, Born Aug, 19, 2009

Thanks

my dog strongly prefers acana (any flavor) over orijen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiml View Post
    my dog strongly prefers acana (any flavor) over orijen
    It's funny how they pick and choose, isn't it?

Jackson likes both it seems. Acana Grasslands he seems to really like, but last night I put half Orijen Regional Red in it and half Grasslands and he only picked out the RR he seems to devour the RR a little faster, ha. If there's only Grasslands in the bowl, he WILL eat it and like it, but he definitely seems to like RR better.

Brit & Jackson

Thanks

yeah, trixie loves all the acana grainless flavors. I really only tried orijen 6 fish because she loved acana pacifica.

for me orijen would be much easier to obtain than acana

Thread Information