How much meat to feed dog/lb? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default How much meat to feed dog/lb?

Hello, I am changing my dogs diet - I am going to be feeding her cooked meat, does anyone know how many ounces/ lb to feed a dog to give them enough caloric intake?

She is 55 pounds.

THANKS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LovingLakota View Post
    Hello, I am changing my dogs diet - I am going to be feeding her cooked meat, does anyone know how many ounces/ lb to feed a dog to give them enough caloric intake?

She is 55 pounds.
    Is there any reason why you would be feeding cooked instead of raw? It seems to me that a dog's diet is probably better served with raw meat than cooked meat and it wouldn't need the extra prep work in the kitchen. Raw bones are also much safer for your dog than cooked bones which can splinter and cause damage or even choking in the worst case.

The best way to determine the "right" amount is to monitor the weight and figure of your dog. Dogs vary in need by not just weight but by age, breed and activity level, so the "right" amount can be somewhere in quite a range. I've seen some say about 2-3% of body weight per day is in the typical "ballpark," maybe a little more if the dog is highly active. For a 55 pound dog that might mean 1-1.5 pounds a day, more or less, which you can adjust based on your dog's weight and appearance -- more if they are losing weight (unless they need to), less if they are putting it on.

Over time I suspect you'll be able to find the right amount where your dog seems to be maintaining close to an ideal weight. Because there can be so much variance between dogs for any given weight, there's some trial and error -- as much an art as a science.

And finally, if you plan to move entirely away from processed kibble and/or cans, the Raw Feeding forum would probably have many more knowledgeable folks about that feeding method as well as how to "transition" your dog's diet. Might be worth checking over there, too!
    Last edited by ziggy29; 05-07-2010 at 01:42 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy29 For This Useful Post:

jdatwood (05-07-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

A diet of JUST cooked meat is not balanced. What else are you planning to feed along with that?

You will have to get vitamin and minerals into their diet that are naturally found in bones. Mimicking something that is natural with something that is not natural is tricky and can be hazardous to your dogs health. Since raw bones are already balanced and complete there is nothing you would have to add to the dog's diet. I don't know much about homecooked diets, but I do know that you have to use supplements or bone meal to replace the nutrition in bones.

You will also have to add in a carb source to add bulk to your dog's stool, without bulk (fiber or raw bones) your dog will get horrendous diarrhea. Since rice, corn and potatoes are not biologically correct OR nutritionally available as raw bones they are obviously not ideal.

Basically making a homecooked diet is the same thing as making kibble. The good thing about homecooked is that you know pretty much exactly what's in it compared to
    kibble.

I hope this helps, and definitely ask any and all questions you might have!

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneMama For This Useful Post:

jdatwood (05-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,003 Posts

I'm with the others, why go through the trouble of cooking, when you can just feed it raw?

A balanced diet consists of more than jsut muscle meat, it contains, meat, bones, AND organs from a variety of animals to be considered ideal. But, since you plan on cooking, it's important to note that cooked bones are very dangerous and bones should always be given in raw form only, and never weight bearing bones of large animals (knuckles, femurs) because of their density.

Cooking also destroys nutrients in meat, making it less "useable" to dogs, which is one huge reason that a prey model raw diet is SO ideal.

That being said, a starting point would be 2-3% of the ideal adult body weight, but watch body condition more than anything. But remember JUST COOKED MUSCLE MEAT is not balanced, and you will need to find balance or you're asking for trouble.

Best of luck, and feel free to join us in the raw section for more advice.
    --Linsey--
    RAW feeding my CARNIVORES since 2009

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CorgiPaws For This Useful Post:

jdatwood (05-23-2010)

Thanks

She is 55 pounds.

THANKS
    What else besides meat are you going to give her?
    www.urbanmushing.com

www.luratics.com

Aspen-male Alaskan Malamute
    DOB 8/10/05

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack."
    - Rudyard Kipling

Thanks

She is 55 pounds.

THANKS

I would add Dr Harveys Veg to Bowl to a homecooked or Raw diet, to answer your question I got this off their manual

how much to feed daily

Weight of dog in Pounds/Protein in ounces daily

2-8, 4-5 oz.

9-16, 7-8 oz.

17-25, 9-10 oz.

26-50, 12-13 oz.

51-80, 16-18 oz.

81-120, 20-24 oz.

they also recommend adding oils to a homecooked or Raw diet.

flaxseed oil, borage oil, salmon oil, sasame oil, hemp oil etc.

choose either one or rotating is best

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jop29 View Post
    I would add Dr Harveys Veg to Bowl to a homecooked or Raw diet
    Why? Dogs are not omnivores and can't properly digest this veggie slop you're recommending. It's a waste of $$ and time to add this into a carnivore's diet.

At $13/lb for freeze dried veggies I can think of an almost endless list of meat, bone & organs I'd rather spend my $$ on...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdatwood For This Useful Post:

DaneMama (05-23-2010), RCTRIPLEFRESH5 (05-23-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdatwood View Post
    Why? Dogs are not omnivores and can't properly digest this veggie slop you're recommending. It's a waste of $$ and time to add this into a carnivore's diet.

At $13/lb for freeze dried veggies I can think of an almost endless list of meat, bone & organs I'd rather spend my $$ on...
    I understand what your saying but no matter what there are people who still/like the fact of adding veggies into their dogs diet, read my post again I never said I recommended it, I said thats somthing that """I""" would do

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jop29 For This Useful Post:

malluver1005 (05-24-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

I understand what your saying but no matter what there are people who still/like the fact of adding veggies into their dogs diet, read my post again I never said I recommended it, I said thats somthing that """I""" would do
    I'm not trying to argue, but posting up saying that you would use a product in conjunction of what the OP was stating....isn't that a recommendation? That is definitely how I perceived your post, recommending that the OP add in the product that you use personally to a homecooked diet.

While we may not agree on the "whys" of feeding it, you are more than welcome to recommend anything at anytime on this board based on personal opinion. Heck, I do it everyday as well as the majority of the members here LOL

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

I guess I'm confused now.

Why wouldn't you recommend it then?

I understand that people want to feed vegetables to their carnivores for whatever reason. What I can't wrap my head around is paying $13 per pound for freeze dried veggies

Thread Information