Can anyone explain? Oven baked kibble Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Can anyone explain? Oven baked kibble

some companies such as Avoderm and Flint River oven bake their kibbles. Why is this any better than the other way? I honestly do not know what the other way is... but why do they say oven baked is best?

Flint River and Avoderm is pricey and full of grains, etc but they put one heck of a price tag on it because its oven baked!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,676 Posts

Marketing. Plain and simple. It sounds good because you automatically think that since its "baked" it must be healthier. But a lot dog foods are baked...they just don't state that they are baked.

Dog food companies will never cease to amaze me with their marketing departments LOL
    Last edited by DaneMama; 03-09-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

The other way is Extruded which essentially pushes food through a "shape" mahcine that makes the shape of the kibble, cooking it at high temperatures. Kind of like a cookie press, but cooks it too.

Most dog foods are extruded.

Beware of dog food gimmicks. Companies sell to people, not dogs. You can sell it for whatever price you can make your customer believe it's worth. There are only 5 brands I can think of that I'd buy....and you didn't name any of them.

Thanks

yeah, i highly doubt that oven baked meat lacking grain heavy Avoderm is better than my Taste of the Wild.

I keep having to look at the ingredients in Avoderm because they REALLY want to convert me! LOL
    but such a gimmic! Avacodos in the dog food for skin and coat, and being oven-baked. two gimmics in one!

I know better, but still. I cannot help but to flip the bag over just incase they added more meat.

Thanks

My only problems with Tast Of The Wild is that it is made by Diamond Pet Foods....their fish meals are NOT ethoxyquin free....and it doesn't make sense that a 30lb is only $40. Makes me question the meat content and quality of the ingredients.

Still....TOTW is better than most.

Only kibble I'd feed is Orijen, Acana, Evo, Fromm or Merrick

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    My only problems with Tast Of The Wild is that it is made by Diamond Pet Foods....their fish meals are NOT ethoxyquin free....and it doesn't make sense that a 30lb is only $40. Makes me question the meat content and quality of the ingredients.

Still....TOTW is better than most.

Only kibble I'd feed is Orijen, Acana, Evo, Fromm or Merrick
    yeah that ios confusing. canidae clamis to use 80 percent meat which is more than orijen, yet they are a lot cheaper so it makes me question it salso. but maybe the ethoxyquin lowers costs enough where they can use more meat and all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

I looked on their web page and couldn't find a claim for 80% meat. Can you point me to it?
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RawFedDogs View Post
    I looked on their web page and couldn't find a claim for 80% meat. Can you point me to it?
    CANIDAEŽ All Natural Holistic Dog Food - Grain Free All Life Stages dry formula

Four High Quality Meat Meals: Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, & Fish with Fresh Lamb Meat
    All Natural, High Quality, Holistic Pet Food
    Super High Protein formula great for working breeds or dogs with high energy requirements
    80% of the total protein is derived from meat, 20% from vegetables and fruits, and 0% from grains
    Natural Ingredients Plus Essential Vitamins & Amino Acid Chelated Minerals
    Naturally Preserved Herbal Formulation
    Excellent Palatability - Dogs Love CANIDAEŽ!
    Contains Skin & Coat Conditioners to Maintain a Health Luxurious Coat
    Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids & DHA
    Superior Digestibility
    Guaranteed Viable Micro-Organisms
    Guaranteed Enzyme Activity to Help Break Down Cellulose
    Made the CANIDAEŽ Way with Superior Quality: No Corn, Wheat, Soy, Grain Fractions, Glutens or Fillers and Naturally Preserved

Gia
    Thanks

That means that 80% of the protein is derived from meat...not 80% of the ingredients. Many things including grains have protein. That's why a dog food that hardly has any meat in it at all can still have 24% protein.

Banned
    Thanks

exactly, most of the protein is derived from meat... its also grain free..

Thread Information