Montmorillonite Clay - Your Take on This? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Montmorillonite Clay - Your Take on This?

Thanks

Default Montmorillonite Clay - Your Take on This?

There are some foods out there that I haven't tried because of 'exotic' ingredients and one of them is Montmorillonite Clay. From what I can find, the stuff is used everywhere from oil rigs, to cosmetics, to soil conditioning, to "curing irritable bowel syndrome"! I haven't quite figured out what it is doing in dog food or if I want it to be ingested by my dog. The dogs foods look pretty good until I come across that ingredient.

Anyone here have any thoughts on that?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chowder For This Useful Post:

GoodDogMan (02-29-2012)

Thanks

I've never seen that listed on any dogfood. What kind of food is it?
    LIFES GOOD!!!

Jenny

Thanks

Natures Logic and Natures Variety are two that I can think of off hand. There are a few others. There is also a supplement sold as "Red Desert Clay" that they sell as a health food kind of thing for animals and people. They say it will heal everything and more!:

RED DESERT™ "LIVING CLAY"–

100% Natural
    Safe, Effective, Natural
    Powerful Detoxifier
    Cleanses the Digestive Tract

whether horse, fish, dog, cat, bird or reptile

* Quickly relieves diarrhea in 90% of all cases
    * Detoxifies and Cleanses the digestive tract
    * Safely, naturally remove toxins out of the body
    * Strengthens Bones and Joints with absorbable calcium
    * Aids Digestion and Metabolism
    * Strengthens Immune System
    * Increases Energy and Strength
    * Healthier Teeth and Gums
    * Improves overall Health
    * Excellent Source of Essential Macro, Micro and Trace Minerals

Thanks

Hmmm... sounds good, but after reading your first post I don't think I would want that in my dogs food or not either.
    LIFES GOOD!!!

Jenny

Thanks

Sounds like snake oil to me.
    Any product that says "Heals everything and more" is just that, ...... "Snake Oil". Stay away from it. If your dog's system needs cleansing, let your Vet prescribe it.
    Last edited by rjordan392; 02-25-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    SerenityFL likes this.

Thanks

It's definitely an interesting concept...is there anywhere you can find out more about it, reviews, etc??
    “Love is the emotion that a woman feels always for a poodle dog and sometimes for a man.”
    -George Jean Nathan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
    Sounds like snake oil to me.
    Any product that says "Heals everything and more" is just that, ...... "Snake Oil". Stay away from it. If your dog's system needs cleansing, let your Vet prescribe it.
    Yeah let them prescribe tons of drugs to treat ailments that are simply occurring because of the toxins in the dogs environment and being absorbed into the dogs body. Perfect case is environmental allergies. You could do benadryl and steroid shots every day for the rest of the dogs life, or you could detox the dog making it's body more able to deal with the allergies itself. No traditional vet knows how to detox a dog, holistic vets should.

The clay, i don't know anything about it. I've never noticed it in either of those foods and i carry both of them, but i certainly don't sell alot of them. So who knows what it does. However it can't be THAT bad since Nature's Variety is using it, and they're a very reputable company.

Nature's Variety's definition:
    Montmorillonite is a clay that is primarily colloidal silicate, which contains over 50 ultra-trace mineral compounds including Antimony, Barium, Beryllium, Boron, Bromine, Cadmium, Carbon, Cerium, Cesium, Chloride, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Dysprosium, Fluoride, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Iodine, Lanthanum, Lithium, Manganese, Neodymium, Nickel, Phosphorus, Rhenium, Rubidium, Samarium, Scandium, Silicon, Silver, Strontium, Sulfur, Tellurium, Thallium, Thorium, Tin, Titanium, Vanadium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, Zinc, and Zirconium. Feed studies by the Veterinary Medical Diagnostics Laboratory at Texas A&M University have shown that Montmorillonite clays can sequester (bind) aflatoxins contained in grains and oilseeds.

Thanks

A bit of an overstatement , don't you think. First, the university research program is just one study that appeases the dog food company to allow them an edge over the competition. These types of research programs are dependant on financial help from the manufacturers. So they would have to be careful about the findings they present.
    How many independant studies are there????
    How many Vets will back up this additive?
    Are we to believe that dog food companys have the dogs interests in mind, more then the Vets?
    How about dogfoodanalysis.com or AKA or any other established organizations that have the dogs interests? Whats their opinion?

Thanks

All I know is I feed NV and it's done well for all my dogs. And dogfoodanalysis.com gives NV Prairie a 5 star rating and Instinct a 6 star rating! So, they must think it's quite alright lol!
    Mom to Stella (blenheim cavalier king charles spaniel) RIP - 2/01-1/13, Hazel (blk & tan cavalier king charles spaniel), Laverne (ruby cavalier king charles spaniel), Rupert (blenheim cavalier king Charles spaniel), Lucy (poodle/brittany/chi mix), Desi (shih-tzu/poodle mix) RIP - 5/03-08/11

Thanks

I have never heard of this. But it sounds EXPLOSIVE after you would give it to them! Sounds liek they would need to be outside for sure afetr that haha!
    I wonder if its like activia for people haha!
    I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.
    People may forget what you said, and people may forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel......
    Growing old is Mandatory~Growing Up Optional!:Lucky, Gordon, Sandi, Roxi!!!

Thread Information