Good dry food for schnauzer with itchy skin Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Good dry food for schnauzer with itchy skin

Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me. I have a 3 yr old female schnauzer that has dry itchy skin. I was originally fed her Innova but had to switch due to financial issues. She has been on science diet for about 5 months and I am not liking it at all. We never really had issues with her skin before. I hope it's the food. The vet has seen her and gave us a steroid/antihistamine for about 2 weeks. She started doing a little better but now it is back to the same way. I am seriously thinking of switching back to Innova since the switch ended up costing more (vet bills). I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for food.

Thanks Everyone!
    Carrie

Thanks

look into taste of the wild pacific stream, its grain free, chicken free formula and usually works well for dogs with skin issues. Depending where you live its around $40 for 30 lb bag. You can get it at tractor supply, if you go on their website, you can also print off $5 coupon off your next purchase.
    http://offers.e-centives.com/siflo/r...YzZTIwYQ%3D%3D

Thanks

Since it is a dry skin issue, I would consider going grain free. Grain free is more expensive though. Not sure if that's an option for you. Innova is a great food, but it's not grainless. If you stick with Innova, try adding in some fish oil to her food...
    www.urbanmushing.com

www.luratics.com

Aspen-male Alaskan Malamute
    DOB 8/10/05

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack."
    - Rudyard Kipling

Thanks

I think you're right. It's probably the food. :(

Sounds like an allergy to me. I would check out a grain-free food, as grains seem to be the biggest allergy causer.

Unfortunately, grain-free foods are a bit on the pricier side. But as you said, the cost of SD + vet bills is more than the great food you had her on before.

The grain-frees that I have experience with are Evo and Orijen. Both are great foods. But I wanna say the Evo was a little more affordable.

Good luck!

Richelle

Banned
    Thanks

may want to look into california natural. it's specifically created to help with allergies.
    Last edited by jdatwood; 02-09-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Removed raw comments

Thanks

i second Taste of the Wild pacific stream! my dogs do great on it. it is grain free, and very reasonable priced!

and unos mom....
    OMG i love you LOL
    thanks for that coupon. you should post stuff like this more often!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

I would say that if she was doing well before the switch over to SD, its the lack of quality ingredients in it that is causing her skin issues. SD is really low quality in terms of ingredients. I would also go grain free if I were you like others have suggested.

You might want to add in some omega fatty acid supplements in the meantime to help alleviate the itchy skin

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

My parents feed their schnauzer (who also has skin issues) TOTW and they say he is doing a lot better since they switched him to it.
    They give him fish oil capsules as well. :)

Thanks

ruckusluvr-lol, I actually saw it on another board and thought I'd pass it on. I was looking at their website and I didnt see TOTW on there, even though it is sold at the store, but the cat food is $22 for 15 lb bag, I normally pay $32! I hope the store price is the same as internet because my kitties do really well on it.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help. I was reading alot on the internet and almost all sites gave the same info. You guys have been great!
    Last edited by carebear5581; 02-10-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Thread Information