Rotation Diet Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rotation Diet

Thanks

Default Rotation Diet

I would really like to do a rotation diet for my dog. But I have a few questions before I start.

1. How many types of food should I give him? Would 8 different kinds be too much?

2. When I switch his food, do I have to do it gradually? I would just buy a new bag when I ran out. So he would probably be on the same food for about a month at a time.

3. Is beef/bison/buffalo basically the same thing?

Thanks for any help!!!

Thanks

Well, I can answer one of your questions I think, Beef is cow, and buffalo/bison are the same thing.
    MollyWoppy and Herzo like this.
    Jenny mom to

Psyco-Domestic Shorthair cat / Shadow- Black tri Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!)
    Smokey-Domestic Shorthair cat

Thanks

It depends on what "kind" of rotation diet and your dog. If your dog tolerates quick changes then you don't have to do a slow change. If sensitive, then do the transitioning thing. With the every bag rotation, I think most people have few (usually 4/5) fods they cycle through and "stick" to those.
    Personally, I don't do a bag rotation so I'm not to sure on exactly how that goes. Hopefully, someone who does feed this way wil respond soon.
    PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Thanks

Rotation does not mean trying a new bag of food every time your dog finishes a bag.

A meaningful rotation involves feeding a new food for a minimum of 3 months (ideally 4-6) to see if your dog thrives on it. Do that with 3 or 4 different kibbles. Once you have done the longer test periods, then you should be able to succesfully rotate back and forth after each bag with little transition if your dog doesn't have a sensitive stomach.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PDXdogmom View Post
    Rotation does not mean trying a new bag of food every time your dog finishes a bag.

A meaningful rotation involves feeding a new food for a minimum of 3 months (ideally 4-6) to see if your dog thrives on it.
    See, I disagree with this statement but I've been told the way I feed a rotation diet is "different" (using the nicest term) from most out there. I see no problem switching foods often and haven't had any problems feeding this way (nor has anyone, I know who feeds similar)
    kathylcsw likes this.
    PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post
    See, I disagree with this statement but I've been told the way I feed a rotation diet is "different" (using the nicest term) from most out there. I see no problem switching foods often and haven't had any problems feeding this way (nor has anyone, I know who feeds similar)
    I, too, used to feed this way. Buying a new bag each time one ran out, a new brand all together. I like knowing if they forget to leave out an important component, like taurine since this is a cat I'm discussing, they wouldn't go more than 2-3 weeks without it. My animals, even the dogs who ate this way for a few months, did great.
    Ever occur to you why some of us can be this much concerned with animals suffering? Because government is not. Why not? Animals don't vote. ~Paul Harvey

Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. ~George Orwell, Animal Farm

Thanks

For my lab I switch back and forth between either chicken or lamb.I am always sure to mix them together when ever I switch to the different protein to avoid any sensitive stomach issues. Now my dog is pretty easy about this and it only takes a couple of days to switch him over. Each dog is going to be different, though, so I would recommend you do take about a week or so to mix them whenever you switch. I don't know that there is really a limit on how many different formulas or brands that you can feed, however I have never met anyone who switches between 8 different formulas/brands.

Thanks

i actually rotate, fromm kibble. but i have a 12 (i think-or maybe 15 lb) bag, for one dog. when that bag is done, we go to a different "flavor" of the same company. so he's on it for a bit.
    i home cook for rex, and so far, vangie is on wellness ocean, as i think she has an intolerance to chicken and that particular fish food has no chicken fat, or carcass (not easy to find, that would satisfy me, and yes, i know that wellness puppy was caught up in last years diamond mess but immediately left them)

i am recall phobic, thus, the fromm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NutroGeoff View Post
    For my lab I switch back and forth between either chicken or lamb.I am always sure to mix them together when ever I switch to the different protein to avoid any sensitive stomach issues. Now my dog is pretty easy about this and it only takes a couple of days to switch him over. Each dog is going to be different, though, so I would recommend you do take about a week or so to mix them whenever you switch. I don't know that there is really a limit on how many different formulas or brands that you can feed, however I have never met anyone who switches between 8 different formulas/brands.

The only reason I say 8 is because I want to try to get all the meat source in there: beef, bison/buffalo, chicken, duck, lamb, pork, rabbit, turkey & venison. I would use mostly the same brands, just different flavors. I would also be switching between red meat and poultry.
    LProf likes this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Number1Sticky For This Useful Post:

NutroGeoff (05-25-2013)

Thanks

Why not get a kibble with more than one protein source to begin with, so you don't have to make so many switches?
    Mom to Maddie (malti-poo/westie) and Sunny (toy poodle)
    http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic6064_7.gif

Thread Information