Orijen's New Formula? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Orijen's New Formula?

Thanks

Default Orijen's New Formula?

Has anyone tried Orijen's food since they changed the formula again? I tried my puppies on Orijen when I first got them and they hated it, and now I'm considering forcing them to eat it. But I've been hearing things like dogs have lots of gas on Orijen, and they have been having rough, dull coats, and just not good things in general. So has anyone had good/bad experiences? And I'm not asking how this food looks on paper, I have my own opinion of that. I'm just curious as to how your dogs out there do on their food.

Thanks

I haven't fed Orijen, but I have fed the limited ingredient Acana, my dog did exceptionally well on it. A lot of times I think gas comes from switching too quickly or going from a very low quality food to a higher quality feed
    whiteleo likes this.

Thanks

The store I work at sells a lot of orijen/acana and since the ingredient change I haven't heard single complaint either. I really dont recommend orijen for average household dogs if they are not doing something very active like running 5 miles a day or agility. There's not need for them to be eating that high of protein food. Acana seems to work better, especially if the dog is gaining weight, and has gas.

Thanks

So you don't think it would be appropriate for young growing puppies? We are pretty active. We go to the dog park everyday for about three or four hours and then we usually go hiking at the National Lakeshore for about an hour or two a day. They are in training to be sulky dogs (of course no heavy pulling yet, they are 5 months).
    Maybe Acana now and Orijen when they are doing more heavy pulling?

Thanks

Orijen 6 fish is the only kibble my dog tried and tolerates (he has a sedentary lifestyle), but I've still not tried the new formula, and I'm not sure I want, because of all those peas (a bad vegetable protein source) in it, and its horrific new price. Personally, I preferred the old "70% meat" formula.

Thanks

[QUOTE=murbanski;242541] We go to the dog park everyday for about three or four hours and then we usually go hiking at the National Lakeshore for about an hour or two a day. [QUOTE]

Wow, I feel like a crappy owner. :)

Nice.
    If there are no Dogs in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers

Thanks

I haven't used it but all dogs are different. I know people who's dogs are doing fine on it nd heard of a couple that aren't.
    Marie

RRs
    Thanks

Zoli brush.jpgP1050067 resized.jpg

Orijen and Acana fed for 3+ years. Orijen 6 Fish for the past 6 months or so. No complaints here, except for the price of course.
    Both dogs recently had annual vet appointments - fecal, urine, blood panel, and titer. Clean bills of health.
    whiteleo and GoingPostal like this.

Thanks

My parent's vet told them to switch their dog to a higher quality kibble and since they live out of town I selected a few different samples for them to try and sent them all home, and one of those was Orijen Adult (old formula). The dog really liked the Orijen Adult formula so my parents asked me to get a bigger bag for them... and I noticed the change in ingredients. I still bought it, but I told them to let me know about any changes in their dog just in case. She's had the new formula for almost a week now and nothing has come up. she still likes the taste and is not having any noticeable digestive problems.
    whiteleo likes this.

Thanks

I've heard mixed reviews, though every dog is unique, what works for one may very well not work for another. I'm going to get a bag for cheap training treats myself lol! My mom absolutely loves it for her jrt, before the accident she was running her 3-5 miles a day on top of lightning fetch. She just gives her different formula different days.
    Photobucket

David~Furmommy in every sense of the word...Raw fed and loving it!!! 3/11/11
    "A Tired Bull Terrier is a Happy Bull Terrier owner"

Thread Information