Best dog food (without china ingredients) - Page 2 Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+

View Poll Results: Best dog food (no china ingredients)

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Orijen

18 54.55%
  • Acana

8 24.24%
  • Go

1 3.03%
  • EVO

4 12.12%
  • Natures Variety

2 6.06%
  • Wellness

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best dog food (without china ingredients)

Thanks

Yeah I think they used to be from China but in the past year or two switched to France? Not totally sure though, I can't keep up with ALL the dog food companies LOL

Abigail Hound- Bluetick Coonhound mix
    Murph- French Bulldog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kathylcsw View Post
    I feed my dogs a raw diet but I got Earthborn Primitive Natural for my cats and they LOVE it! It looks like a great company that is also socially responsible so I can't imagine they they would use Chinese ingredients. I have to order it from Amazon. I know that people who feed kibble on here recommend it a lot for dogs as well.
    This is was the reply I got from Earthborn when questioning them about Chinese Vitamins:

"Certain subparts of the vitamin premixes are only available overseas. Our US supplier assures us that they make every effort to source from reputable non-Chinese vendors. All these ingredients are thoroughly tested and undergo many quality checks to insure safety and that specifications are meet. But even with these checks in place, it is difficult if not impossible to say that some subpart of some vitamin ingredient may originate in China."

So when they say it's basically impossible to know if a subpart didn't come from China, how is Orijen or Acana, for example, able to say with certainty nothing comes from China? Thoughts on this?
    xellil likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sheltielover25 View Post
    This is was the reply I got from Earthborn when questioning them about Chinese Vitamins:

"Certain subparts of the vitamin premixes are only available overseas. Our US supplier assures us that they make every effort to source from reputable non-Chinese vendors. All these ingredients are thoroughly tested and undergo many quality checks to insure safety and that specifications are meet. But even with these checks in place, it is difficult if not impossible to say that some subpart of some vitamin ingredient may originate in China."

So when they say it's basically impossible to know if a subpart didn't come from China, how is Orijen or Acana, for example, able to say with certainty nothing comes from China? Thoughts on this?
    Maybe they actually follow it from start to finish...

Cayenne born 8/9/2007

Leo born 8/9/2007 rescued 7/2008

McKenzie born 8/9/2007 rescued 2/2010 re-homed 9/28/2011

Raw fed since 11/2008

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sheltielover25 View Post

Pretty scary when a dog food company has no real idea where the ingredients come from.

It's also why alot of stuff IN dog food doesn't turn up on the ingredients list. If they get fish (from somewhere) it could have ethoxyquin in it, which is horrible stuff. Since THEY did not put the ethoxyquin in the fish, they list it on the ingredients label as "fish." All perfectly legal, and the consumer has no idea there is something very bad in the dog food.
    MollyWoppy likes this.

Thanks

I can't really say what one 'best dog food' is because what is best for one dog is not best for another. My dogs just don't do well on Orijen, NV or GO, although it is a good food. Some of the ingredients don't agree with Rocky and they actually would make Chelsy horrendously ill when she was alive (although Shade thrived on Orijen). Evo was great for all of them because it had less of the botanicals and fruits then the others. You have to go by the individual dog. I don't like foods with a lot of fruits, vegies, and botanicals in them. I just don't think they are needed.

Of those, I would pick Evo or Orijen or Acana only.

Thanks

I like all the Acana varieties and my dogs do very well on them. Ironically, my dogs don't do well on Orijen...

Thanks

Since rocky is less active now due to dm issues, would you guys recommend more or less protein?

More protein- orijen
    Less protein- acana

Is that correct?

Thanks!! So far looks to be very close between orijen and acana, are they made from the same companies or somehow related? Theyre packaging and prices seem very similar....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockysdad View Post
    Since rocky is less active now due to dm issues, would you guys recommend more or less protein?

More protein- orijen
    Less protein- acana

Is that correct?

Thanks!! So far looks to be very close between orijen and acana, are they made from the same companies or somehow related? Theyre packaging and prices seem very similar....
    I had posted that they are both made by Championpet foods...If your dog is less active i would go with less protein.

Cayenne born 8/9/2007

Leo born 8/9/2007 rescued 7/2008

McKenzie born 8/9/2007 rescued 2/2010 re-homed 9/28/2011

Raw fed since 11/2008

Thanks

I believe the diabetes dog list suggests Orijen b/c of the low glycemic index. More of a higher quality protein is important for both sick and old dogs. High fat may be more of a challenge for a dog with a pancreatic problem. Best wishes!
    A. M. Carricato, V.M.D.
    Kaliber English Setters

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Javadoo View Post
    Without question-Fromm.
    But I am a rotation feeder and I also feed Earthborn Holistics and Acana.
    Fromm is my favorite though.
    Which Fromm do you use?
    Marie

Thread Information