Soft Stools on Canidae Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PDXdogmom
  • 1 Post By Unosmom

Thread: Soft Stools on Canidae

Thanks

Default Soft Stools on Canidae

Hello:

I have 2 rescue great danes that have been eating dry Canidae for a few years and would like advice as to what other suggestions of food I could use to help harden their stools.
    Their stools are like soft ice cream, not much form....looking at the poop chart.....in the middle....
    I have tried to add coconut, yogurt, pumpkin, etc....not a lot of success.
    They do not have worms or parasites......

I don't mind gradually switching them to a different food, but would like to hear from you on advice of dry food that has helped you harden you dogs stool.

Thank you,
    David

Thanks

Which Canidae are they eating?
    How old are they, how much do they weight and how much are you feeding them?
    ^IMO/IME
    Im Abi
    Pups: Rhett and Caoimhe("Keeva"), '11 Border Collies, Leo, '07 Border Collie, Brody, '10 Pug/x and Miss Dixi, '08 Mini Dachshund.
    Kitties: Ladi Ducki, 1 year old Turkish Van Cat, Princes Pidgin, 2 year old Snowshoe/Calico cat.
    All raw fed and LOVING it, because no living being is made to live off of processed foods.

PMRaw~~“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Thanks

They are 6 & 5 years old.
    Weight 165 & 135.
    Feeding Canidae all life stages dry.
    4 cups for one and 7 cups for the other (thin), daily.

Thanks

If what the OP reports is correct, then the 165 lb. dog is eating 3,276 calories per day from the 7 cups of Canidae. That volume alone would cause soft stool whatever kibble is being fed.

I suggest finding a kibble with a higher protein and fat content than the 24%/14% that the Canidae has.

Just noticed your dogs are great danes which I understand have special dietary issues . . . but the 7 cups still sound problematic.
    Scarlett_O' likes this.

Thanks

Yes, 7 cups is a lot, but he was thin and I was fattening him up a little.

They have been on it for a few years and have always had soft stools. The 7 cups goes back down to 5.5 when he's good.
    My other dane gets 4 cups a day as he is just right, but still soft stools. The 4 cups & 5.5 a day for the danes is just right. I just need some recommendations of food that maybe a little bit better in helping them firm it up a little.

Thanks

I found find something a bit more digestible, have you tried their grain free line?

Thread Information