Flakes? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By cprcheetah

Thread: Flakes?

Thanks

Default Flakes?

I see my dog has some small white flakes on his black fur. I know he's either allergic to the air, or his food because he had a ear infection and is always scratching, but he does not have fleas, it is allergies. There is no redness, or bumps, just some small white flakes here and there. Would this be a sign of food allergies, or allergies to the air? Or could it be either? Because i am having a hard time figuring out which my dog is allergic to.

Thanks

Flakes on the skin is usually due to dry skin, not getting enough fatty acids in the diet, are you giving Salmon Oil? What brand of food are you feeding? A lot of the lower quality foods you will see flakes on their skin.
    MollyWoppy and Scarlett_O' like this.
    Heather
    Rawfeeding My Little Carnivores since July 2010

Thanks

I agree 100% with Heather. Mol use to get white dandruff flakes when she was on kibble and when she was on raw. It went away though when I started giving her salmon oil.
    Although, she still gets it sometimes when I wash her with a shampoo that doesn't agree with her skin.
    On another note, she got really bad brown flakes the couple of times I put K9 Advantix on her back. although yours does sound like it's the dry skin type.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

we just started salmon oil again....and the flakes are gone...

most of the food we feed is grass fed.....but this weather has been awful so the salmon oil gives them a little extra omega three...:)

Thanks

I agree the flakes tend to be due to dry skin. Incorporating fish oil supplements and/or raw eggs into the diet might help.

Thread Information