How long should it take for food allergies to go away? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RawFedDogs
  • 1 Post By cprcheetah
  • 1 Post By frogdog

Thread: How long should it take for food allergies to go away?

Thanks

Default How long should it take for food allergies to go away?

So i've been feeding my dog a chicken and rice based formula for the past 2 weeks. I switched to this healthier brand because i was feeding cheep purina before. Hes been on the new kind of 2 weeks, yet he still seems to itch and feel uncomfortable. I dont know if hes allergic to somthing in this food to, maybe the chicken? Anyway, i bought a bag of lamb and rice and i'm going to start feeding that to see if it gets better, but how long does it usually take to notice a change? and im still frustrated because i dont even know if it is food allergies or air allergies, and i may be doing all this switching for nothing!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

About 2 months.
    Scarlett_O' likes this.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Thanks

Per Dr. Karen Becker: What do you think about Honest Kitchen dehydrated meals & allergy tests?

I prefer a no grain diet.

Thanks

It usually takes about 2-3 months before you should see a change. It took about 3 months with Zoey to get over her allergies once I switched her to prey model raw. But I did see subtle changes earlier.
    Scarlett_O' likes this.
    Heather
    Rawfeeding My Little Carnivores since July 2010

Banned
    Thanks

My dog had really bad chicken allergies, no matter what dog food I used. When I went to lamb and rice, it helped.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roscothedog View Post
    So i've been feeding my dog a chicken and rice based formula for the past 2 weeks. I switched to this healthier brand because i was feeding cheep purina before. Hes been on the new kind of 2 weeks, yet he still seems to itch and feel uncomfortable. I dont know if hes allergic to somthing in this food to, maybe the chicken? Anyway, i bought a bag of lamb and rice and i'm going to start feeding that to see if it gets better, but how long does it usually take to notice a change? and im still frustrated because i dont even know if it is food allergies or air allergies, and i may be doing all this switching for nothing!

My dog was having bad Allergiess too and switched her to Dick Van Pattern Natural Balance LID Diet and it worked great. I would try the Duck and Potato formula. here's the site if your interested Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Allergy Formulas for Dogs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to josh83 For This Useful Post:

Salt (08-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roscothedog View Post
    My dog, Yogi, is having issues with food and environmental allergies. Hopefully, your vet has advised of an allergy panel. I have him on premade raw now and in 2 wks switching to Prey Model Raw. I believe it will be the best. I tried Honest Kitchen and totally broke Yogi out worse than anything he had eaten besides pork. Once, I started researching the company more intensely was not impressed with their grade of contents. Also, be careful because a lot of dogs are allergic to potatoes and just a cheap filler for dog food companies along with rice.

My previous sweet dog "Little One" was allergic to grains especially wheat, and when I changed his food within 2wks there was a huge differnece. A month later...total different dog.
    Scarlett_O' likes this.

Thanks

To get the full affect I'd agree with the 2 month remark in post #2. However, I saw noticeable improvement within 10 days when I switched my senior golden to a different food.

Thread Information