Train 3 yr old dog to use puppy pads?? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Train 3 yr old dog to use puppy pads??

Thanks

Default Train 3 yr old dog to use puppy pads??

Is it possible to train a 3 yr old poodle/schnauzer dog, otherwise known as a schnoodle??, to use puppy pads for periods of adverse weather and times when I need to be gone?? My Midnight does not like rain and snow and will just stand there with this look of "you expect me to go potty in this?".

By the way, Midnight is a shelter rescue dog who, in five months, has turned out to be my best buddy and a true delight to the family children.

My Midnight definitely has a bit of the schnauzer stubborn streak in him so I will certainly need plenty of patience, at least at first. Ideas or comment on whether this is even a good idea and how to go about it would be most welcomed and appreciated.

Banned
    Thanks

i would also be interested in this. When there's an inch of snow in the ground it's hard for Snorkels to get out there. And she hates the rain.

She's well housebroken so she will eventually go out - when she does, she's so short she has a hard time in an inch of snow and her belly gets wet and cold.

But she will not use those pads.

Thanks

Are you prepared to alway's allow the dog to potty in the house? Accept the dog relieving himself next too but not quite on the potty pad?

I've dealt with a lot of people who get small dogs in the winter and teach them to use potty pads who later get extremely frusterated when it warms up and the dog refuses to stop eliminating in the house. In my opinion teaching him it's "ok" to potty in doors only when it is cold is unfair and confusing to the dog. Also when it comes to potty pads, the area around the potty pad is fair game as far as your dog is concerned. So if he potties within 3 foot of the potty pad, he pottied on the pad.

Anytime someone asks me "how do I train him to use a potty pad" I give the above speil. If they still want to have an indoor potty area for their pooch I recomend the fallowing.
    1: Make your potty area in a room that has easy to clean floors(tile, lenoleam), that aren't going to be ruined if the potty isn't always on the pad(rules out hard wood).
    2: A potty box is better than a potty pad. YOu can use the pads inside of a potty box. The box gives your dog a visual location "I go potty inside the box, not "next" to the pad."
    3: Collect some of your dogs urine and feces to "seed" the box. Sounds weird I know, however dogs will potty where is smells like a "bathroom". With my own dogs I notice they usually urinate and defficate in one general location of the yard, and different dogs prefer different locations. My big guy poops in the same 5 square feet 90% of the time. This is also why if your dog potties "next" to but not quite in/on, he pottied in the right location.

Once you have your designated area and have seeded your potty spot. Take your dog to it on a regular basis and praise him when he uses it. After drinking, sleeping, playing and eating is when dog's usually ned to go. Make sure he alway's has access to his "bathroom". Don't punish him if he potties any place else, clean it up and forget it.

For any extremely stubborn dog I recomend a leash on anytime he is not in his crate. Tie the leash to your belt so the dog is with you constantly, if he acts like he has to go potty, take him. If he starts to go it makes it easier to stop it and get him to the correct location fast.
    Kris the crazy Mastiff lady
    Polly Anna~ Mastiff
    T ~ Mastiff
    Hermione ~ Mastiff
    Heidi ~ GSD
    Lilly~ Mastiff
    Rosie Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    All Raw Fed

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maplewood For This Useful Post:

xellil (10-26-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Well, i sure don't want her to think she only has to go in the house. That's something to think about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xellil View Post
    Well, i sure don't want her to think she only has to go in the house. That's something to think about.
    Have you ever considered clearing her a potty area outside? Using a shovel or snow blower so the snow isn't so deep in a small area...

Generally if you have a toy/small breed that doesn't like the snow, rain or cold a covered porch or garage are better in my opinion than teaching them use eliminate in the house.
    DoglovingSenior likes this.
    Polly Anna~ Mastiff
    T ~ Mastiff
    Hermione ~ Mastiff
    Heidi ~ GSD
    Lilly~ Mastiff
    All Raw Fed

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maplewood View Post
    Have you ever considered clearing her a potty area outside? Using a shovel or snow blower so the snow isn't so deep in a small area...

Generally if you have a toy/small breed that doesn't like the snow, rain or cold a covered porch or garage are better in my opinion than teaching them use eliminate in the house.
    yes, we have a small area under the overhang where she could pee, and we also shovel a big square in the snow. But if there's alot of moisture or it's blowing she will always come back in soaked - we put a little thing on her to cover up her tummy but her legs are so short it just seems to get wet everywhere.

I always thought if she could just pee in the kitchen on those really awful days when it's pouring rain or sleeting or the snow gets so old we can't get down to the grass any more she wouldn't have to get so miserable out there.

Maybe we could extend the overhang somehow, that might work. Being lazy and reading what it would take to get her to pee inside, I am reminded of why I don't have puppies :). That sounds like alot of work. Plus i would hate it if I trained her to pee all over the house.

I know the foster lady has pee pads but maybe that's because has dogs that aren't well trained.

But

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

that's what we did with bubba who came to us at 2 years old, not potty trained and stubborn as a rock.

we first kenneled/crated him either in the living room where we were or in the bedroom when we slept...he did not have run of the house...

then i leashed him to me....i also took him out frequently....

we also used belly bands for the accidents....

i was going to use the pee pads and then i realised he would think it okay to pee in the house, even on a pee pad.....and i never wanted him to pee in the house.....guys notoriously have bad aim :)
    xellil and DoglovingSenior like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xellil View Post
    yes, we have a small area under the overhang where she could pee, and we also shovel a big square in the snow. But if there's alot of moisture or it's blowing she will always come back in soaked - we put a little thing on her to cover up her tummy but her legs are so short it just seems to get wet everywhere.

I always thought if she could just pee in the kitchen on those really awful days when it's pouring rain or sleeting or the snow gets so old we can't get down to the grass any more she wouldn't have to get so miserable out there.

Maybe we could extend the overhang somehow, that might work. Being lazy and reading what it would take to get her to pee inside, I am reminded of why I don't have puppies :). That sounds like alot of work. Plus i would hate it if I trained her to pee all over the house.

I know the foster lady has pee pads but maybe that's because has dogs that aren't well trained.

But
    I am really NOT a fan of potty pads in general!!! However I do see how they can be useful for certain dogs. Tina a 2 pound Chi. I worked with comes to mind. Her "Dad" had issues with her going "next" too the bathroom however. Or half on/half off the potty pad. We used a sterilite bin from wall-mart and cut a hole in one end so she would have the visual barrier and that helped. (Yes, a lot like a cat litter box only cheaper)

Toweling her off when she comes in is IMHO much better than allowing her to potty in the house if she's already house trained.

I had a client that adopted a Neo puppy that was very small and sickly in Jan. They thought it was a good idea to teach him to use newspapers/potty pads because he was sick, didn't like the cold and it was Jan in Iowa. Once it warmed up she was crying to me several times a week that the dog REFUSED to potty outside, she'd take him out for an hour, he'd come in and pee in the kitchen. He'd been taught for 4 months that the kitchen was the appropriate place to "GO". He didn't potty anywhere else in the house, just the kitchen where they had put the potty pads/newpapers. Six months later the dog still urinated in the kitchen on occasion, because he was taught from day one that it was an appropriate place.
    Polly Anna~ Mastiff
    T ~ Mastiff
    Hermione ~ Mastiff
    Heidi ~ GSD
    Lilly~ Mastiff
    All Raw Fed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

the other thing we did to train him was to take him out, rather than let him out....

now we can let him out and he will pee.....
    xellil and maplewood like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magicre View Post
    the other thing we did to train him was to take him out, rather than let him out....

now we can let him out and he will pee.....
    Ya that is one thing even I forget sometimes to tell people! You don't know if the dog "went" unless you're out there with them. Also, if someone is working on getting the dog to "go" outside and the dog enjoys the outdoors don't have him "go" then take him right back in. The dog will learn to hold it to prolong the out door experience. After he "goes" walk him around for 5-10 minutes or play a brief game of fetch/tug or let off the leash, being outside becomes a reward to "going".

However those bit's didn't seem pertinent to the thread "How do I teach my dog to "go" inside" :)
    magicre and DoglovingSenior like this.
    Polly Anna~ Mastiff
    T ~ Mastiff
    Hermione ~ Mastiff
    Heidi ~ GSD
    Lilly~ Mastiff
    All Raw Fed

Thread Information