Crazy panter and tires SO easily Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Crazy panter and tires SO easily

Thanks

Default Crazy panter and tires SO easily

Just wanted to get people's opinions...

I'm slightly concerned that Sophie tires a bit TOO quickly from exercise. Whenever I take her to the park down the street to play fetch, she's completely pooped within 10-15 mins, and sometimes even 5-10 mins if the weather is warm (she does NOT do well in hot weather, so I will only take her swimming or for walks if it's super hot outside).

Like today, for example-it's 62 degrees out, I took Sophie to the park and within 10 mins she panting heavily and laying down. She continues to pant heavily for about 10 mins afterwards, and pants lightly for another 10 mins after that. Also, her hind legs quiver a lot once she starts to tire.

Sophie is almost 5, in good health, 88 lb GSD/Boxer mix (but doesn't have the flat boxer face-she has the long muzzle like a GSD), is a good weight, gets regular exercise both with walks and running around in the park. She's always been 'lazy' and has always tired easily, even as a young pup. I was concerned enough to get her thyroid tested last year, because she really will just lounge around all day and night for days on end with no issues (which is nice when it's frigid here in NY!) and have talked to my vet about my concerns, all her tests came back fine and she told me not to worry, Sophie's fine. I even mentioned her quivery back legs, the vet wasn't concerned. Her back legs don't have an ounce of fat on them either, so it's not that she's carrying extra weight back there.

Also-I closely observe her when she's running-she's VERY FAST (she can outrun and out-swim most dogs her size-she's all lean muscle) and has a great gait-I don't have any concerns she is in any discomfort at all, no limping or shifting weight, etc. or being sore later on-nothing like that. So maybe she's just so intense when she's running she exhausts herself that quickly??

Anyone else have any experience with a healthy dog being completely exhausted after 10-15 mins of playing fetch?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,676 Posts

Has this dog been examined by a vet for this issue?

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

(I thought I replied already but it didn't show up, so I'm posting again)

Sophie's been going to same vet since she was 9 weeks old, and I've brought it up in the past to the vet, more as a comment: 'she's such a lazy dog, she tires easily when we play in the park' etc. but it wasn't until last fall that I kind of thought this might be an actual medical issue. I brought this concern up at her annual physical and the vet suggested getting her thyroid tested (which was normal), and did do her annual exam knowing I had this issue as a potential concern and concluded Sophie's healthy and couldn't find any medical reason why she's so lazy and tires so easily...

Also I want to clarify-when I say she's 'exhausted' it's not like she won't move or refuse to get up from laying down, she just clearly prefers to lay down and rest after like 10 mins and it's evident she's really tired, and chasing after that ball is her absolute favorite thing to do (until she's pooped! lol) besides swimming. She can walk home afterwards and everything, albeit panting heavily.
    Last edited by Sophie45; 03-17-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks

Hmmm....how often do you run her to the point where she gets tired out quickly?

I can see if she sprints a lot how she would get tired quickly.

How long does it take her to recover? Meaning she's ready to run again...

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneMama For This Useful Post:

Sophie45 (03-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie45 View Post
    Just wanted to get people's opinions...

Anyone else have any experience with a healthy dog being completely exhausted after 10-15 mins of playing fetch?

Thanks!

Yes. My two hoodlums, (lab mixes), are 10 months old. When I take them outside to play, burn off energy, they run, full on sprint around, and are tired in 10 minutes. They lay down, pant a lot, and then, after a few minutes, are ready to do it all over again. If it's cooler, they can go for longer but still get a bit winded in about 15 minutes. They lay down for a bit, pant a bit, drink some water and get up again and play again. If it's hotter, (which will be murderous coming soon), they can only go for about 5-10 minutes...which, I can understand seeing as it's hot, I'm sweating just walking around while they run and fling themselves everywhere. They are wearing fur coats. Sometimes it's so warm here that when I touch their fur, it's hot. So I let them lay down and rest.

My dog I had in Seattle was the same way. She'd run a bit and then rest. Run a bit and then rest. Usually about 10-15 minutes at a time. They are ready to get back up and go again after some rest but I've never had a dog that would run, endlessly, for 20, 30, 40 60 minutes or more. Ever. They are all, (and were), healthy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SerenityFL For This Useful Post:

Sophie45 (03-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaneMama View Post
    Hmmm....how often do you run her to the point where she gets tired out quickly?

I can see if she sprints a lot how she would get tired quickly.

How long does it take her to recover? Meaning she's ready to run again...
    She does sprint around a lot during that 10 mins-when she runs after that ball, she RUNS and she's FAST. In terms of recovery she probably would be ready to run again about 30-45 mins later, but usually by then I'm back home so haven't put that to the test...

Thanks

Hmmm....if she's been examined and all checked out fine, I wouldn't be too worried. I guess consider yourself lucky that your dog can get tired out that easily! Lots of people run their dogs for hours on end with no such luck!

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneMama For This Useful Post:

Sophie45 (03-18-2011)

Thanks

My two dogs are total opposites. Duncan is now 10 months old. Lucky is now 11 years old, but back when she was 10 months old she was a wild woman.

In Lucky's younger years she could run and run and run and run, etc.....she could chase the ball non stop. I would actually have to stop to get her to rest. When we would hike she would constantly be running. However, Duncan is the total opposite. He sounds a lot like Sophie. He will chase the ball a few times, then lay down to cool off. Then he'll get up and chase it maybe two or three more times....and then he's done. No more. I think it has a lot to do with the particular dog, what their energy level is, what they were bred for (size and body shape), what the weather is like, etc. If Sophie has been checked out by a vet and all is okay, I would just chalk it up to that's just the way she is. I think we are lucky!
    *SARA*

*Lucky* GSH Pointer - fed PMR since August 2010
    *Duncan* Black Russian Terrier - fed a modified BARF diet since October 2010

When PRM is not ideal: Hyperuricosuria and the BRT
    http://preymodelraw.com/2010/12/02/w...raw-not-ideal/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luvMyBRT For This Useful Post:

Sophie45 (03-18-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvMyBRT View Post
    If Sophie has been checked out by a vet and all is okay, I would just chalk it up to that's just the way she is. I think we are lucky!
    I kind of felt that way, too, but am glad to hear other dogs get as pooped as Sophie so quickly. We do go for hikes in the nice weather and she can go for hours no problem, but once she starts running-she's done in like 10 mins. She can also swim a lot longer than run, too. I guess I'm lucky I can give my dog the exercise she needs so quickly!

Thanks everyone :)

Thanks

My male boxer was an active pup until the age of 18 months and then turned into somewhat of a lazy boxer. Not your typical hyper boxer who requires a lot of exercise to wear out.
    I was so worried when this happened. His thyroid panels have always been normal, and we had his heart check by a cardiologist (ultra sound & holter test) when he was 18 months old. The holter showed a secondary heart block, but the cardiologist said that was not the cause of his laziness. Turns out it was just his personality. He's not the typical super active boxer and that may be a trait somewhere in his pedigree.
    He is now 9.5 years old, no signs of hip thyroid or heart problems. He can zoom the yard a few times but he takes rests as needed.
    It's funny, vet techs always comment on how he is not at all like the crazy boxers they see. LOL

Thread Information