Trifexis is Dangerous! Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree417Likes

Thread: Trifexis is Dangerous!

Thanks

Angry Trifexis is Dangerous!

Hello to Alll Pet Lovers.
    I joined this site to inform other pet owners of recent severe problems my little dog had with Trifexis. As some of you may know, Sentinel was taken off the market this year due to shortages. I have a Maltipoo who is 2 years old. She has been perfectly healthy since birth. We tried her on Trifexis. First dose we noticed that she was having intermittent vomiting. At first, we thought it might be something she had eaten. She is always kept indoors except to go outside for toileting and so we could not imagine her eating something accidentially. Anyway, the second dose of Trifexis caused vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and then she had a grand mal seizure. She has been at the vet this week getting IV fluids in an effort to wash out what the vet called "toxins." She is now in liver failure. When I asked my vet whether or not he thought the medication made her sick, he said he had no way of knowing for sure. He DID instruct us to bring the medication back and gave us a refund for the remaining doses we had. However, this does not help my little dog.....it is little and late... I cannot begin to express how sad I feel about this. I wish I would have waited until more information was available and not expose my little dog to this medication. So, everyone take some good advice - DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG TRIFEXIS. It could be potentially life threatening.
    MollyWoppy likes this.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to susan cotton For This Useful Post:

Caty M (09-03-2012), cockermom (04-08-2013), Rnweaver (10-19-2012), whiteleo (09-02-2012)

Thanks

I'm so very sorry to hear about your little girl. I just don't give my dogs any "chemicals" anymore; you never know what kind of problem they might cause, either short or long term. You and your girl will be in my thoughts, and I sincerely hope she will come through this ordeal okay.
    Caty M likes this.

Thanks

I'm sorry about your dog. I prefer to give my dogs their heartworm pill and go natural for fleas/ticks. Even their heartworm is only given every 40-45 days, not monthly. I hope your dog will recover.
    Caty M and cockermom like this.
    Marie

Thanks

I'm so sorry about your dog. I don't even know what trifexis is. Is it a flea medication?

I hope your dog come through this.
    Caty M likes this.

Thanks

It's a heartworm prevention. Brand new on the market too. As far as giving it, I don't give anything chemical anymore, topical or otherwise.
    Caty M, Herzo and cockermom like this.
    Jenny mom to

Psyco-Domestic Shorthair cat / Shadow- Black tri Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!)
    Smokey-Domestic Shorthair cat

Thanks

Yea, it' s a combo. Regardless, it's chemicals either way.
    cockermom likes this.
    Jenny mom to

Psyco-Domestic Shorthair cat / Shadow- Black tri Australian Shepherd
    Copper-Red Merle Australian Shepherd (my heart dog)
    Aussie-Blue Merle Australian Shepherd
    Lucky-Blue Tick Hound (or some sort of hound!)
    Smokey-Domestic Shorthair cat

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

My thoughts and healing vibes are headed her way. Keep us posted on how she does....

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

Sorry your dog is sick, but your vet has no way of knowing for sure if the medication made her sick, but you know for sure. So sure you post this to scare people out of giving their dog heartworm prevention. Why do you go to a vet if you know more than he?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panchovilla View Post
    Sorry your dog is sick, but your vet has no way of knowing for sure if the medication made her sick, but you know for sure. So sure you post this to scare people out of giving their dog heartworm prevention. Why do you go to a vet if you know more than he?
    I don't see this post as a "scare" against giving all heartworm medication....just this particular brand, Triflexis.

It is true that the community here is more in tune with natural and holistic types of veterinary care and treatments. That we tend to stay away from chemicals and drugs that can (and do) cause disease. There are risks of giving any RX drug...its just the way things are. Did Triflexis make this dog sick? No one will ever know 100%, without a shadow of doubt, absolutely, positively...that this drug caused the disease. There is no diagnostic test to say for sure or not with any sick animal. You can have lab work done to rule out things, x-ray, ultrasound, etc. But there is not for sure way to know one way or another. So LEGALLY any vet can't say "oh yes, that medication for sure made that dog sick" because that could be turned around on them in court of law. So....they can say "well the symptoms lead us to believe it could be caused by the drug or it could be something else" to save face as well as cover their butts.

I am a vet tech and we see these things all the time and very rarely do things happen coincidentally like that. The dog was perfectly healthy, no problems whatsoever. BOOM...dog is sick after first dose of Triflexis. Coincidence? Maybe, the dog could have gotten something in the yard. Maybe not....considering symptoms progressively got worse as the dog was dosed. Its hard to overlook the link here.

And at this point it doesn't really matter. All that matters is the member's poor dog being sick and us providing a good, supportive group to help them through this tragedy. This member also has the right to share her experiences and opinions here on DFC

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneMama For This Useful Post:

Caty M (09-03-2012)

Thanks

This is most definitely an attempt to scare. All drugs have potential side effects, and true there is probably no way to know for certain without heavy diagnostics whether this was truly a drug reaction or not. As far as reactions to Heartworm preventives go, they are rare, but do happen. However drugs are the only proven way to prevent Heartworm disease, which we know (some firsthand) to be fatal quite often. If you care about keeping your dog healthy, please keep it on prevention (ie using a drug). It is the commenters that say "I don't use chemicals" that scare me. I hope they don't live next door, as they could be endangering MY dog by serving as a reservoir of infection.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information