Sick Chihuahua - vomiting Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Sick Chihuahua - vomiting

Thanks

Default Sick Chihuahua - vomiting

Poor Corona is really sick.. she started vomiting this afternoon - a HUGE amount at first - and is still vomiting, has been about 6 hours or so I'd say. It's a nasty brown colour.

Her breakfast wasn't anything out of the ordinary, a chunk of sardine, but I'm at Nic's place and there's a chance that she could have found something on the floor and eaten it (she's a total hoover).

She's generally acting ok otherwise.. still seems to have an appetite, is bright and alert. Just shaky and obviously feels icky after she barfs.

I've got some slippery elm I could try giving her when I get home later.. any other thoughts or ideas?

Stacey
    Feeding PMR since December 2011

Thanks

Is she by any chance a poop eater? I am trying to figure out why its brown. It doesnt look like coffee grounds does it? Brown usually indicates a bleed some where in the stomach from either a scratch or ulcer.
    Last edited by twoisplenty; 04-27-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    MollyWoppy likes this.

Thanks

Never been a poop eater. It's not like coffee grounds.. the colour has me rather baffled as well. It *could* be from blood, but I don't know why she'd be bleeding in her belly?? And it still just doesn't look quite right for it to be blood, not dark enough I'd say.

Stacey

Thanks

Take a picture of it if she vomits again. I would just keep a very close eye on her. Poor girl, with her being so small I would really be careful with dehydration. Perhaps offer her some warm chicken broth.
    MollyWoppy likes this.

Banned
    Thanks

yes, the little dogs get dehydrated so easy. Is she drinking anything? Can you check to see if she's dehydrated? It used to happen to Snorkels ALL the time before we started raw food and she was dehydrated every single time.
    MollyWoppy likes this.

Thanks

Coffee grounds is the first thing that came to my mind too. When my chi got sick with vomiting a while back the vet said unflavored pedialyte (made for infants) has good electrolytes to help with dehydration. Perhaps giving her that would help. I just put some in a medicine syringe and gave it to Audrey every hour. Sometimes their tummies just get upset, but if it continues, talk to your vet. I also suggest trying to get her to eat something little, iwith all that vomiting there will be bile build up and empty stomach and then hypoglacemic (sp?) Shock can set in. Its very common in chis especially younger one or old ones. I'm not sure of your baby's age but I have 2 chis and its scary when this happens. Vomiting and runny poo are always a concern to me with my chis because they are so little and dehydrate and go into shock easily. If you see her start to pass out or clench her mouth or she won't eat, I've been through that and rub karo syrup on my girl's gums to bring her blood sugar level back up. I know I'm just paranoid I don't mean to scare you or that this will happen to your girl, but just tuff to keep in mind.
    MollyWoppy and xellil like this.
    My dogs are not spoiled, I am just well trained

Thanks

Oh nutrical would be good too if you have any.
    My dogs are not spoiled, I am just well trained

Liz
    Thanks

I would fast and give pedialyte - unflavored for infants and either a homemade chicken broth or liver broth. JMHO
    MollyWoppy, magicre and brandypup like this.
    Liz

Thanks

She hasn't puked in about 2 hours now, and took herself to bed. I'm debating if I should take her to work with me tomorrow.. She'd hate it, but I don't like the idea of her being alone for 9 hours either.*

She doesn't seem dehydrated, and seems to have an appetite, so that's good.

Stacey

Thanks

I wouldn't take her if she hates it. I would jkust let her rest. I was thinking the same thing as Liz, a fast and liquids. Hope she is better today.
    MollyWoppy, magicre and Liz like this.
    RAW FED CLAN
    Boomer Beagle, Stewie LH Chihuahua
    GG, Pisces, Zodie, Butterball, Dolly
    [COLOR="#800080"]RIP Foster kitten Benji is Raw Quail fed dry FIP kitten.
    Prayers to good lives to my past foster cats.[/COLOR]
    In memory of Miss Bones. VAS victim 2001-2010

Thread Information