Kidney problems or just not drinking enough Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kidney problems or just not drinking enough

Thanks

Default Kidney problems or just not drinking enough

Had the dogs to the vet today. Boone for a check up on his heart and blood work for mainly for his liver and Woof for a check up about an issue he's been having. Anyways I got talked into getting bloodwork for Woof as well so that they could have a basis to compare to a blood test they'd like to take when he has one of his moments. I was more worried about Boone's but Boone is perfect health, no more liver problems and his heart is all clear. But he had very high levels on a couple of things that the vet said could either indicate a kidney issue or that he just wasn't drinking enough water they want to retest in three months. She wasn't positive about the kidney issues because there were some levels that should have been high that weren't that would normally indicate that. This is going to be a long three months...

How does someone get a dog to drink more? He alread has several water bowls and gets water added to his kibble plus the moisture from the raw.

Pictures of his test results. His UREA and Cl were both high.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/11l5yyr.jpg
    http://i43.tinypic.com/66xgl0.jpg
    Last edited by Little Brown Jug; 04-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Boone - Australian Cattle Dog x German Shepherd
    Woof - Border Collie x Siberian Husky
    Ranger - Labrador Retriever
    RIP Drifter 1999-2009 - Labrador Retriever x American Pit Bull Terrier

Thanks

You know, looking at that, I don't think those levels are super high at all. They are only just over the recommended amounts. Was the blood taken in the morning, because Boone would naturally be dehydrated having not drunk much during the night.
    Did they suggest a urinalysis to see how concentrated the urine is? Maybe that should be considered.
    I know with Mol's first blood test a year or so ago, a couple of her values were out, so I worried that she was dying of liver disease for a long time (although she acted and appeared perfectly healthy), but when I got another complete test done 6 months later, everything was absolutely perfect. So, don't worry too much, you'll get old before your time.
    On another note, what I discovered to get Windy the cat to drink more was to give her chicken/cornish hen blood diluted in water. She'll drink and drink if I do that, but won't drink much plain water otherwise.
    I'm hoping Danemama or one of the other vet techs will read this and give you their expert advice.
    magicre and xellil like this.

Thanks

It was 1:30pm. He'd been drinking throughout the day (I stepped in enough splatter lol). I'm hoping he's just not drinking enough. The possibility of him having seizures, pancreatitis or gastro problems is already on the table for a seperate issue. Where would you get blood from? They don't eat raw full time and when they do its not all that bloody... usually turkey necks or chicken backs

Boone - Australian Cattle Dog x German Shepherd
    Woof - Border Collie x Siberian Husky
    Ranger - Labrador Retriever
    RIP Drifter 1999-2009 - Labrador Retriever x American Pit Bull Terrier

Banned
    Thanks

i would absolutely not worry about those test results. They look fantastic to me. I bet a vet tech will tell you the same thing soon.

Everything looks perfect except two values which are barely, barely above "normal." I would love for my dogs to have those results!

Liz
    Thanks

Dane Mama would be the one to know for 100% but I would not get worried by those numbers. At the same time if you want your pups to drink more maybe add some fluid to his meal or even offer some good homemade broth serveral times per day but I don't personally see anything to worry about. :)
    Liz

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

I will echo the others with not much that makes me worry about these results. I would have a urine sample checked just to see how concentrated the urine is. That will give a better indication of how the kidneys are functioning

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

Oh, the blood. I pour it off the cornish hens and whole chicken's I buy and put it in the fridge for Windy. Then I water it down for her, it really helps getting her to drink more. I've nagged my friends to give me their (chicken) blood too, so I try to have a supply on hand all the time.
    But, Boone is a LOT bigger than my little 8lb cat. What Liz said about adding broth to his water makes a lot of sense.
    I sure hope our little Boone is ok.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing these treatment,It very helpful for my tony.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Brown Jug View Post
    Had the dogs to the vet today. Boone for a check up on his heart and blood work for mainly for his liver and Woof for a check up about an issue he's been having. Anyways I got talked into getting bloodwork for Woof as well so that they could have a basis to compare to a blood test they'd like to take when he has one of his moments. I was more worried about Boone's but Boone is perfect health, no more liver problems and his heart is all clear. But he had very high levels on a couple of things that the vet said could either indicate a kidney issue or that he just wasn't drinking enough water they want to retest in three months. She wasn't positive about the kidney issues because there were some levels that should have been high that weren't that would normally indicate that. This is going to be a long three months...

How does someone get a dog to drink more? He alread has several water bowls and gets water added to his kibble plus the moisture from the raw.

Pictures of his test results. His UREA and Cl were both high.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/11l5yyr.jpg
    http://i43.tinypic.com/66xgl0.jpg
    i know i sound like a broken record...but i make chicken broth or beef broth and now i shall make liver broth...:)

when i think my dogs aren't drinking enough, i just defrost and add to their food.

i don't remember who it was who suggested this, but you can make ice cube trays out of blood from meat and broth and give them to your dog.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Brown Jug View Post
    It was 1:30pm. He'd been drinking throughout the day (I stepped in enough splatter lol). I'm hoping he's just not drinking enough. The possibility of him having seizures, pancreatitis or gastro problems is already on the table for a seperate issue. Where would you get blood from? They don't eat raw full time and when they do its not all that bloody... usually turkey necks or chicken backs
    given there is another issue, is it possibly connected?

and you can buy edible blood at many oriental grocers.

Thread Information