Anal Glands Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Anal Glands

Thanks

Default Anal Glands

I am looking after my friend's cavoodle (poodle X cavalier spaniel) for the weekend and had to take it to vet for a booster shot. Wee dog has been scooting on her bum and has had anal gland issues in the past. So when my friend suggested getting them done at the same time as booster I said that I would learn how to do it so she could do it herself in future to save money.
    Well the recently graduated American vet (who was lovely) was quite happy for me to get stuck in then and there to do it. So with very clear instructions and commentary I put on latex glove, lubed up and found the little lumps.
    Boy was it fascinating and gross at the same time.
    Thank god my big greyhound doesn't have anal gland issues but if he does, no worries mate, I know what to do!!

When one of my son's friend's mother came to visit today (who is also a vet) and I told her what I had learnt this morning, she told me she often teaches her clients how to do if they are interested to save them money if they get it done on a regular basis.

ps. husband had a strangely excited look in his eye when I told him all this!!!!!??????????

Stanley born 21.2.06
    raced for 3.5 years (Chile Will He)
    Jed born 1.12.08
    raced for 2 years (Ain't No Saint)
    Adopt a Greyhound the fastest friend you'll ever make.
    www.greyhoundsaspets.org.nz

Thanks

Once you get the hang of it it is super easy to do. :) I have to express my Border Collies glands every time I bathe her.

Thanks

I had several opportunities to learn how to do this.......but I just can't do it. I'm not grossed out by the process or anything....just some sort of mental block. I guess I'm afraid of hurting them if I do it wrong.

Good for you Sozzle! I wish I wasn't such a wuss........
    LOVE is a four legged word
    Mom to Ari BCX Rescue, Kai ACDX
    , Layla Rescue
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peV9MMLfg0I

Thanks

I know how to do it too but boy is that an unpleasant thing. My poor little Chihuahua Toby had an anal gland rupture a few years ago and since then if you even lift his tail he starts yelping like you're killing him. Clearly that memory is firmly planted in his mind....
    My other Chihuahua Angel just had one rupture a couple of months ago and once at the vet they let me flush it out and put the antibiotic goo in there. Rather interesting and she acted like it didn't bother her in the least.
    Makes me sound like a pretty bad mom but I promise I'm not. When it happened to Toby I had never had a dog with anal gland problems and he wasn't doing any of the typical things like scooting or licking. He was just moping around one day like he just didn't feel great and I had to figure it out. Angel on the other hand never acted like it bothered her at all. I just happened to see it huge and inflamed while she was standing there wagging her tail.
    Well now you can tell people, like I do, that although you're not an actual vet, you do play one on TV.
    xellil and IslandPaws4Raw like this.

Raw fed since spring of 2011!

Thanks

I taught myself how to express my dog's glands too. Not a fun job, but pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Luckily it's my smallest dog that I have to do it for. I'm lucky that he's so easy-going and cooperative...even though he doesn't like when I do it. Not sure what the experience would be like w/my other dogs--I'm glad I haven't had to worry about it, at least not yet.
    Proud owner of 3 wonderful rescues: Buddy (born in 2006), Rodney & Reagan (siblings born in 2009)

Banned
    Thanks

I got the vet tech to show me today. I'm tired of paying $16.

Well, when I looked at the instructions on the internet it said I could squeeze just on the outside. But this vet tech stuck her finger up Snorkels' butt to the second knuckle. And it's a TINY little butt! On the internet it said you only do that with big dogs.

So now I don't know what to do. And I'm not sure it should be done to Snorkels the way the vet tech did it.

Thanks

When I did it yesterday for the cavoodle who weighs about 19lbs (bit overweight) I was told to put my finger in up to first knuckle only, with gloves of course and then it was quite easy to feel the glands. If it's any help I did it looking up and away so I could concentrate on the 'feel' rather than trying to see something, plus cavoodle has a really hairy bum and you can't see anything anyway. The vet said she felt it was more effective from inside the anus.
    You have to have a paper towel there to catch any of the fluid.
    As I'm right handed doing the left side was easier than the right for me which I did first and you need a second person to hold the dog steady.
    magicre and xellil like this.

Stanley born 21.2.06
    raced for 3.5 years (Chile Will He)
    Jed born 1.12.08
    raced for 2 years (Ain't No Saint)
    Adopt a Greyhound the fastest friend you'll ever make.
    www.greyhoundsaspets.org.nz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sozzle For This Useful Post:

xellil (04-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

i was doing fine until i read the part where your husband was strangely excited....is this going to turn into a ben wa discussion?

are you the real instigator and NOT donna? :)

i can't do it. we actually had our groomer and vet stop doing it and now, bubba doesn't release as often. raw did help...but when his widdle feelings are hurt, he will release them.

malia does scoot her butt on the floor, and the vet checked it years ago, along with checking for worms...his conclusion was she had an itchy arse.
    Liz, xellil and Hopie like this.

Thanks

It is very simple to just do it from the outside. Of course it is much easier to do it while they are in the tub so you can wash it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemydogsalways View Post
    It is very simple to just do it from the outside. Of course it is much easier to do it while they are in the tub so you can wash it off.

to that, i say.....BLECH. NEVER. :)

Thread Information