MISSOURI Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: MISSOURI Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT

Senior Member Kris L. Christine's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation MISSOURI Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT

MISSOURI Rabies Medical Exemption SB 566 PASSED 5/17/12, effective date 8/28/12 http://www.senate.mo.gov/12info/BTS_...=R&BillID=5884 . Missouri has become the 16th state with a medical exemption clause in its law.

Exemption language:

Chapter 322, RSMo Section 322.005: (5) "Statement of exemption from vaccination", a written determination, signed by a veterinarian, that a medical reason exists that precludes the vaccination of the dog or cat. The statement shall include the owner's name and address, a description of the animal, the medical reason that precludes vaccination, the date of determination, and the period of time for which the medical condition is reasonably expected to persist;

3. It shall not be considered a violation of this section for an owner to have a dog or cat that is not vaccinated for rabies if such owner possesses a current statement of exemption from vaccination for such animal, however if exposure occurs, the dog or cat is considered to be nonvaccinated.
    Last edited by Kris L. Christine; 05-18-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    Kris L. Christine
    THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

Thanks

MISSOURI Rabies Medical Exemption SB 566 PASSED 5/17/12, effective date 8/28/12 SB566 - Requires dogs and cats to be vaccinated against rabies . Missouri has become the 16th state with a medical exemption clause in its law.

Exemption language:

Chapter 322, RSMo Section 322.005: (5) "Statement of exemption from vaccination", a written determination, signed by a veterinarian, that a medical reason exists that precludes the vaccination of the dog or cat. The statement shall include the owner's name and address, a description of the animal, the medical reason that precludes vaccination, the date of determination, and the period of time for which the medical condition is reasonably expected to persist;

3. It shall not be considered a violation of this section for an owner to have a dog or cat that is not vaccinated for rabies if such owner possesses a current statement of exemption from vaccination for such animal, however if exposure occurs, the dog or cat is considered to be nonvaccinated.
    chowder, Caty M and Nana52 like this.
    Kris L. Christine

Banned
    Thanks

That's wonderful news.

Too bad Texas isn't on the list. Snorkels is getting ready to be a rabies vaccine violator.
    chowder likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xellil View Post
    That's wonderful news.

Too bad Texas isn't on the list. Snorkels is getting ready to be a rabies vaccine violator.
    Yes, it's great news! If Texas pet owners contact their legislators requesting they file a medical exemption bill on their behalf, we might be able to get something passed.
    xellil likes this.
    Kris L. Christine

Thanks

I'm really having problems with what to do in North Carolina. In the last 6 months in our county we had one pet owner put his two dogs to sleep because they were 'exposed' to a rabid animal and weren't up to date on their vaccines and he couldn't afford the 6 month quarantine. And we had another dog that was 'exposed' to a rabid fox and even though it was current on it's vaccinations, it was required to have a booster.

State law only mandates that you get one vaccination at age 4 months, then 'follow manufacturers recommendations'. That seems to me to leave the whole law pretty open ended to whatever the law makers want to make you do. All I can figure out is to never ever let them know that your dog came anywhere within a ten mile radius of a wild animal.
    xellil likes this.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chowder View Post
    I'm really having problems with what to do in North Carolina. In the last 6 months in our county we had one pet owner put his two dogs to sleep because they were 'exposed' to a rabid animal and weren't up to date on their vaccines and he couldn't afford the 6 month quarantine. And we had another dog that was 'exposed' to a rabid fox and even though it was current on it's vaccinations, it was required to have a booster.

State law only mandates that you get one vaccination at age 4 months, then 'follow manufacturers recommendations'. That seems to me to leave the whole law pretty open ended to whatever the law makers want to make you do. All I can figure out is to never ever let them know that your dog came anywhere within a ten mile radius of a wild animal.
    See, that's what they told me here. Even with current rabies shots my dogs could be quarantined. So what's the point of a rabies shot?

And oh my goodness - SIX MONTHS? That's ridiculous. Doesn't rabies show up much sooner than that? That's just stupid.

Kat
    Thanks

Is this kind of stuff only going on in the States? I really want to get Ruby exempted from rabies since she had such a bad reaction last year. I still have 2 more years before she needs it done, and Im not doing any other vaccinations. Hopefully by the time she needs to get the rabies done here they will have exemptions...

PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Thanks

Omg, I love this, THANK YOU for sharing! Tux is due for his rabies in December and I really don't want to get it for him. He has such bad allergy/atopic dermatitis issues, and the holistic vet we started seeing last year already suggested that I might not want to get him the rabies shot when he is due for it, as this could trigger issues for him. Last time he had it he had the three year shot, but the h-vet said studies have been done showing it should be good for at LEAST five years. I know I have until Dec to decide, but I have already been thinking about what I should do. I'm not worried about him getting rabies or anything, and I really don't think he would ever bite anyone...it would have to be an extreme situation with him being sick or something. I know if I took him to the h-vet, she would write whatever letter is necessary for him to legally be exempt from it. So happy about this being passed.

ETA to add I think I will call the vet's office next week and ask her about this, and about making sure I can get the letter from her stating he is exempt.
    Last edited by shellbell; 05-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Tux - black lab mix DOB 8/16/08

Cabo - yellow lab DOB 1/9/09

Thanks

I know this is old, but I was looking at the Rabies Challenge Fund website and Missouri is not listed as a state with a medical exemption. Does anyone know if this actually passed or not?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrownieM View Post
    I know this is old, but I was looking at the Rabies Challenge Fund website and Missouri is not listed as a state with a medical exemption. Does anyone know if this actually passed or not?
    Unfortunately, it did not. However, it could pass in the future if another legislator were to reintroduce a rabies medical exemption bill. It took 3 filings to finally pass one in Pennsylvania & in 2013 it pass unanimously in the House & Senate! Below are the 18 states with medical exemptions:

18 STATES WITH RABIES MEDICAL EXEMPTIONS: Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania,Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

(1) ALABAMA Alabama Code Alabama Code Title 3 Section 7A-2 Code Of Alabama

(c)(1) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this chapter, the State Board of Health by rule may establish procedures and qualifications for an exemption from the requirement for a vaccination for an animal if a rabies vaccination would be injurious to the animal's health.
    (2) An animal exempted under subdivision (1) shall be considered unvaccinated by the State Board of Health in the event of the animal's exposure to a confirmed or suspected rabid animal.

(2) CALIFORNIA CA Codes (hsc:121575-121710)

Health and Safety Code Section 121690 (2) A request for an exemption from the requirements of this subdivision shall be submitted on an approved form developed by the department and shall include a signed statement by the veterinarian explaining the inadvisability of the vaccination and a signed statement by the dog owner affirming that the owner understands the consequences and accepts all liability associated with owning a dog that has not received the canine antirabies vaccine. The request shall be submitted to the local health officer, who may issue an exemption from the canine antirabies vaccine.
    (3) The local health officer shall report exemptions issued pursuant to this subdivision to the department.
    (4) A dog that is exempt from the vaccination requirements of this section shall be considered unvaccinated.
    (5) A dog that is exempt from the vaccination requirements of this section shall, at the discretion of the local public health officer or the officer's designee, be confined to the premises of the owner, keeper, or harborer and, when off the premises, shall be on a leash the length of which shall not exceed six feet and shall be under the direct physical control of an adult. A dog that is exempt from the provisions of this section shall not have contact with a dog or cat that is not currently vaccinated against rabies.

(3) COLORADO http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

A veterinarian licensed in Colorado may issue a written waiver as provided in this section exempting an animal from a rabies vaccination order if the veterinarian, in his or her professional opinion, determines the rabies inoculation is contraindicated due to the animal's medical condition. The terms "waiver" and "exemption" as used in this section are interchangeable. A veterinarian may issue a waiver if:

1. The animal to be exempted has a medical condition defined as "a disease, illness, or other pathological state" for which, in the opinion of the exempting veterinarian, a rabies inoculation is contraindicated;
    2. A valid veterinary-client-patient relationship, as definied under C.R.S. Section 12-64-103 (15.5), has been established between the veterinarian, owner and animal to be exempted from rabies inoculation;
    3. The veterinarian completes and signs the veterinary section of the Exemption from Rabies Vaccination form provided by the department.
    4. The animal owner signs the informed consent section of the Exemption from Rabies Vaccination form;
    5. The veterinarian maintains the signed exemption as part of the animal's medical record and provides a copy to the owner;
    6. The exemption issued is limited to the anticipated duration of the animal's medical condition that precludes inoculation; and
    7. The veterinarian provides a copy of the exemption form to the department, the local health department or animal control agency when requested.
    C. A waiver may not exceed a period of three years from the date of issuance. If the medical condition persists beyond a three year period and, in the professional opinion of a veterinarian licensed in the State of Colorado the exemption continues to be appropriate, a new waiver may be issued.
    D. Upon receiving a complaint regarding the validity of a rabies inoculation exemption, the executive direction or his/her designee(s) may review Exemption from Rabies Vaccination forms and examine the veterinary records pertaining to the medical condition to determine if the medical condition legitimately contraindicates rabies inoculation. If appropriate, the executive director or his/her designee(s) may refer the case to the State Board of Veterinary Medicine.

(4) CONNECTICUT AN ACT CONCERNING EXEMPTION FROM RABIES VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS.

(b) The State Veterinarian or the Commissioner of Agriculture, or the commissioner's designee, may grant an exemption from vaccination against rabies for a dog or cat if a licensed veterinarian has examined such animal and determined that a rabies vaccination would endanger the animal's life due to disease or other medical considerations. Such exemption may be granted for an individual animal only after the veterinarian has consulted with the State Veterinarian, the Commissioner of Agriculture, or the commissioner's designee, and completed and submitted to the department an application for exemption from rabies vaccination on a form approved by the Department of Agriculture. After approval of such exemption, the department shall issue a rabies vaccination exemption certificate, copies of which shall be provided to the veterinarian, the owner of the dog or cat exempted from rabies vaccination and the animal control officer of the municipality in which the owner of the dog or cat resides. Certification that a dog or cat is exempt from rabies vaccination shall be valid for one year, after which time the animal shall be vaccinated against rabies or the application for exemption shall be renewed.

(c) Any veterinarian aggrieved by a denial of a request for an exemption from rabies vaccination by the State Veterinarian, the Commissioner of Agriculture or the commissioner's designee may appeal such denial as provided in the Uniform Administrative Procedure Act, sections 4-166 to 4-189, inclusive.

(5) FLORIDA Chapter 828 Section 30 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

(2) A dog, cat, or ferret is exempt from vaccination against rabies if a licensed veterinarian has examined the animal and has certified in writing that at the time vaccination would endanger the animal's health because of its age, infirmity, disability, illness, or other medical considerations. An exempt animal must be vaccinated against rabies as soon as its health permits.

(6) ILLINOIS 510Â*ILCSÂ*5/Â*Â*Animal Control Act.

If a licensed veterinarian determines in writing that a rabies inoculation would compromise an animal's health, then the animal shall be exempt from the rabies shot requirement, but the owner must still be responsible for the fees.

(7) MAINE http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/10/144/144c260.doc

A. A letter of exemption from vaccination may be submitted for licensure, if a medical reason exists that precludes the vaccination of the dog. Qualifying letters must be in the form of a written statement, signed by a licensed veterinarian, that includes a description of the dog, and the medical reason that precludes vaccination. If the medical reason is temporary, the letter shall indicate a time of expiration of the exemption.

B. A dog exempted under the provisions of paragraph 5 A, above, shall be considered unvaccinated, for the purposes of 10-144 C.M.R. Ch.251, Section 7(B)(1), (Rules Governing Rabies Management) in the case of said dog’s exposure to a confirmed or suspect rabid animal.

(8) MARYLAND 10.06.02.10

(3) The Public Health Veterinarian may delay temporarily or indefinitely the rabies vaccination requirement for certain dogs, cats, or ferrets in the interest of public safety or for medical determinations or research.

CONTINUED ON NEXT POST
    BrownieM likes this.
    Kris L. Christine

Thread Information